Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Line 6 Relay G-50 Review/Question

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Gearhead17, May 15, 2010.

1. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    The review will be short mainly because I have not had a chance to heavily test it. I used it amy last gig on a decent sized stage and really enjoyed it! The tone is excellent to say the least and compared to a 25ft Mogami cable - the wireless tone was MUCH BETTER! More highs and lows. Everything came through clearer with the G50. The unit still uses the TA4F (4 pin mini-XLR connection) with a 1/4" connector for the instrument - I swear I read it was going to use a 1/4" to 1/4" setup on Line 6's site. Guess not.

Now the lousy part, I don't know why, but the wireless unit stopped working and since it was during a song, I did not have time to check it out. I highly suspect the cable shorted-out since a little bumping or shaking of the cord caused the signal to disappear or crackly-static noise to occur. That's when I switched back to my nice cable and HEARD the tone difference! Ouch! Why was I using such a long cable? Regardless, I would like to replace the cable for the Relay unit.

So my questions are:

1). TA4F connector pieces - where is a good place to buy them from? I am looking for a good one, not a cheapo - how can I tell the difference?

2). Where can I buy cable connector pieces? Like a 1/4" connector with an angle to it? Also looking for a quality item here.

Basically, I am going to take my 3ft Mogami cables and put new connectors on it for my Relay G50.

On the flip side, if someone knows of cables already made with an angled 1/4" on one end, let me know!

My searches have left me a little confused....:bassist:

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    Disclosures:
    alpha-music.com
    isn't line 6 sending you a new one free of charge, since you apparently just got the thing? also, are you sure it's the cable and not (unfortunately) the jack on the unit itself?

by the way, it's the cheaper pack that uses regular 1/4" connectors.

3. Register_To_Disable

4. Gearhead17

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    I also had the XDS system for about 2 days and the same thing happened with the cable. A little shaking around and the signal was lost or sounded staticy. I really think it is the cable - but as you pointed out, I don't know for sure. I have not contacted Line 6 about anything, I was hoping to upgrade the cable before my 30 days was up and see if my problem disappeared.

I really wish all of those Line 6 transmitters were using 1/4" connections. They could save money by not supplying that cheap cable of theirs.

5. Gearhead17

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
  6. cabrego

cabrego

Jan 21, 2007
    I order a switchcraft right angle plug from mf to put on my g30 cable.

7. Gearhead17

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Update - I called Line 6 customer service and spoke to Andy. Very smart dude.

I ended up returning the G50 and exchanging it for the G30.

Unfortunately, there is a big drop in quality on the G30. First off, the battery door does not close correctly. The batteries that came with the unit are too bulky and I had to pop Energizer batteries in there in order to close it. I guess they were slightly shorter..... The transmitter body pack is made of plastic - the G50 had a body pack made of metal. The G30 picked up a LARGE amount of noise wherever I walked in my condo. On the other hand, the G50 picked up no extra noise in the same places. Bear in mind that a radio station is near me and the amount of radio frequency noise is crazy around here. My practice amp picks up a radio station through my headphones.
    Still, the G50 was not affected by that at all. The 1/4" cable connections were the best part, but the above mentioned issues are forcing me to return the unit.

Perhaps I was too fast in returning the G50. Andy at Line 6 suggest I just buy the Shure ULX connector cable for replacing the Line 6 cable bundled with the G50. So, I shall swap again and get a new cable!

8. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    That blows me away. The Relay 50 doesn't use the 1/4" cable on the transmitter?!?

I did a paid 6 week evaluation on the Relay 30. Did not have any of the problems you mentioned. It was dead quiet in every situation. Actually performed well above it's stated range without being line of sight. And accepted the provided stock, energizer and rechargable batteries with no problems, although I do agree the battery door on the transmitter is a little flimsy. I never used the cheap straight ended cord they provided. A 1ft. twin right angle patch worked great.

My guitarist also did the same evaluation (separate units) and was just as pleased with his as I was mine.

We tried to buy them from the research firm but they couldn't let us. :(

9. JackANSI

JackANSI

Sep 12, 2006
    PA
    Sadly there are no really high quality TA4 type connectors on the market. They all suck. I don't think anyone makes one that doesn't use the old "crimp stem" type relief (vs the neutrik style positive locking/sabot setup).

I ordered a 2.5' 1/4"-1/4" from bayou cables just for the G50, and was very disappointed when I saw the TA4 connector :mad: I even opened my transmitter up to see if there was enough room to squeeze one in and no such luck, the main board is right behind that connector. Butch doesn't offer TA4F to 1/4" yet, I asked before cancelling my order..

I am still glad I waited for the G50, the metal case and extra range is worth the money.

I'm thinking about trying a 1' TA4F to 1/4" Female, then use a 2' 1/4"-1/4" and looping/taping the 1' part such that any accidental tug pulls the 1/4" M-F joint apart instead of pulling the TA4F apart...

here you can see how little room there is to add a 1/4"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Here's the short review I did here on TB after the evaluation:

"I just got done evaluating the new Relay 30, which is Line 6's successor to this one. They sent me one and I was able to use it for a few weeks on various gigs.

It was rated at only 100 ft. / line of sight, but my guitarist (he's also evaluating one for the same company) and I found them to have much more range, even when blocked by obstacles. He walked outside while playing and didn't lose signal until he was about 150-200 feet away through 2-3 walls. I did something similar at a slightly smaller club and never lost signal. My receiver stayed on my board the whole time and I never had any dropout anywhere.

The sound was also excellent (even better than a cable). I will be actually buying one in the near future.

SPECIAL NOTE: The transmitters on the Relay series have 1/4" inputs! No more special $40 replacement or updated cables (the 1/4' they give you is still garbage though). I just used one of my good, spare double right angle patch cables. WhooHoo!"

Never in my wildest dreams, after being so impressed that they used a 1/4" input on the transmitter so you could essentially use any 1/4" cable you wanted, that they didn't do the same thing on the two upper models. What a design boner. :confused:

11. Gearhead17

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Thank for the replys! I was hoping to make this a one stop source about the Relay systems.

I just exchanged my G30 for a G50. It's a brand new G50 and the unit, as tested before, is dead silent. No horrible radio waves or what not. The cable though, the slightest bump on the 1/4" connector causes signal loss, but at least the cable can be jiggled without issue. I ordered the Sony cable (1/4" to TA4F) and a the switchcraft angled 1/4" connection to modify it.

I do have to say though, the sound on this unit phenomenal! It sounds better than my Mogami cord. I don't even want to go back to a cord. I will buy AA Batteries in bulk! More lows, more highs and the sound of your bass is not lost at all. The best part is you can turn off the transmitter, turn it back on, and it's on the same channel, has the same signal strength, and is ready to go! You can conserve battery power that way.

Hopefully the G50 and a new cable will solve my issues. I want to keep the unit. I guess the TA4F is better for shooting the signal a long distance when compared to the 1/4". That's my only guess. Otherwise, I don't see the big deal about making them all 1/4" inputs.

12. TXLawDawg

TXLawDawg Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Hmmm...hate to hear the G30 didn't work out. I've got one and it has worked flawlessly. Went with it strictly because of the 1/4 to 1/4. Got a short Mogami to go with it...never even took the cable that came with it out of the box.

13. cliffbass1

cliffbass1

Jun 1, 2003
    Minnesota
    Just go buy some really nice rechargeable's i got some energizers (qty of 4) when one pair dies i just throw in the the recharged ones and its paid for its self. But i wonder how the Line 6 Relay series sounds compared too my Sennheiser ew172-g2 ???

14. Gearhead17

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Boy, I am dumb over here! Rechargable batteries! Ingenious! They would save me money.....and with my lousy job search, well this will really help:eek::hyper::bassist:!

15. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    FWIW, I used to do this with my old wireless.
    To keep memory effect to a minimum, I always left the transmitter on overnight to completely drain them before recharging. The other set would be charged and ready to go for the next night, repeating the cycle.

Now, for the bad news:
    You'll notice the Relay manual will tell you not to use rechargables. I don't know if this is something to do with these units being digital (my old one was, like most, obviously analog) or what. But I did try using a fully charged set I already had. They weren't in the unit for more than a few songs and I got a low battery level meter showing. These are not brand new rechargables, but seemed to still be working fine in other stuff I was using them in, so.....word of warning.

16. jnewton

jnewton

Jun 9, 2008
    Tour
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Dimarzio, D'Addario, Fuzzrocious
    aww man. i've got a g50 on order. i was so stoked about the 1/4" jack.

nonetheless, i'm glad it works well.

17. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    Disclosures:
    alpha-music.com
    i think that's actually what gearhead meant, that he didn't see why they couldn't use 1/4" cables for the nicer units. :cool:
    some reading at green batteries about this was instructive: apparently with some AA types, fully draining them actually harms them.

also, there's a lot on there about NiCd vs. NiMH for AAs, which i'm starting to get interested in as the relay wireless looks like a pretty cool device. i use lithium-ion 9Vs in my wireless in-ear pack and they rock, but apparently there is no li-ion AA, because li-ion cells are at minimum like 3.5-4V each.

18. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Ahhh..... Gellato (Ice Cream cone to the forehead).

Not these (energizers). Although this is a different set, I had two pairs that I used in my old wireless for over 3 years. It was full time work, 48 weeks a year, 2-4 sets per night, canstant rotation (never used the same set 2 nights in a row). When that wireless bought the farm these were still going strong and are still in things around the house.

19. Gearhead17

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Quick update - just so you all know, the G50 kicks majors butt! I just got done using it at a show tonight without any issues. It was amazing to move around the stage and not think about my cord. I felt liberated as a player. I did not realize how much I thought about that cable....always worried about tangling it, my singer stepping on it, and so on. I can go anywhere on stage without issue. I must have spun around 10 times (not like an ice skater, but I would have coiled myself badly with a cord doing what I did tonight.

Despite the cord issue, the Relay G50 is a wonderful unit. I used the stock cable with it tonight and it worked just fine as long as I did not bump the 1/4" connector.

20. Gearhead17

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Update - worked wonderfully for another show! Woo! No issues. I bought the Sony ULX replacement cable ($20 at Sweetwater.com), with the angled 1/4" connector - no issues or interference crap to deal with. The cord did not lose signal when bumped or shaked.

G50 baby! Better than a cable - try it and hear for yourself.

21. CBBass123

CBBass123 Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2005
    Texas
    I just bought the G50 last week as well. I bought a couple ta4f connectors and neutrik right angles, but what kind of wire do I use. I have tons of mogami 2524, but it looks like there is a shield, a ground and signal. What wire will work to make these cables?