Lite, loud and tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassboy1076, May 14, 2012.

1. bassboy1076

bassboy1076

Jan 7, 2011
    So, I've been using ampeg cabs for the last 12 years. First I used the classic 8x10, then moved on to the pro series and finally I used 2 of the PR-410 HLF cabs. I tried out an Avatar 4x10 cab with neo speakers for a short time, but it just didn't have enough tone. I feel a lot of the mid range was gone in the Avatars. I'm kind of tired of the same ol ampeg tone. I actually just moved to Orange and bought the Terror Bass 1000, the lil amp rocks, I'm still using it with one of the 4x10's, but the cab ways a ton. I'm hoping to find a liter cab. Anyway, my question is, what cabs do yall like? My style is rock, all the way from folky americana to Metal. So I am looking for a good midrange tone with plenty of low chunk. Any suggestions? Ideas? Favorite brands? All is welcome, thanks.

2. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I've heard the new GK combos are awesome.

3. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    He's looking for a cab, not a combo...

:confused:

4. bassboy1076

bassboy1076

Jan 7, 2011
    True, cabs are what interest me.

5. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I'm sorry, I meant cabs. I've heard some of the new lightweight cabs being demoed and they sound great.

6. I would check out a fEARful. A 15/6 or a 1212/6 might be just what you are looking for. Where are you located? there might be one close to you that you can try out.

7. 3l3phantstomp

3l3phantstomp Doesn't Welcome Our New Overlords

Jun 6, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    I roll an Orange TB500 thru their SP212 cab and have used it onstage for rock, blues, and metal. I love it and can't bring myself to consider anything else. But its rated for 600 max amps...

You may want to test out other combinations, like 2X12 plus 1x15. Or just a 2x15 rig,etc. May want to spend a moment on MF and compare lighter neon cabs that are 1000 wats capable and then test them in person at a GC/SA with your terror in tow! Orange makes a killer SP4X12 cab for your head, and can handle the full wattage at 65lb...

8. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Barefaced super 12 for mids, the super 15 goes a bit lower, but with a terror bass 1000 its a tweak of a eq knob away, so doesn't really matter. The agressive cab will help with the inherent mid scoop from the EQ that the other stuff probably didn't like.

9. Isobaric cabs have half the SPL output of a non iso.

10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

EPIFANI!!! I can't say it any louder and prouder, I absolutely love my 3x10 Neo (about 50 lbs), love it!

I also really like a Markbass 4x10 (about 60 lbs) I currently run as well, I used to run a 610 by them, it was old silver face, had a very deep sound, loved it but it was just to big, only 70 lbs though.

11. WingKL

WingKL

May 12, 2007
    Tone is kind of subjective but if you're looking for more midrange, light and loud then 2 BFM Jack Lites may fit the bill. You're likely not going to get so much fullrange SPL for such low weight in any other cab (20 lbs each unloaded according to the BFM site). According to rpsands, a Jack 12 works great for rock and is equivalent to a 410 in loudness.

12. bassboy1076

bassboy1076

Jan 7, 2011
    I checked out the Barefaced cabs. Are they in the US?

13. No they are in the UK. They are very nice cabs, but will be shipped to the states. The Big Twin is an excellent cab, the fEARful 1212/6 is more similar to the Barefaced Big Twin than any other stateside cab I have seen.

14. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    They'll ship them.

15. I just sold my Avatar B410, used it one year. Always wanted a Genz Benz NEOX212T and just purchased one here from fellow TBer. FANTASTIC cab, quite light and deep round tone with midrange adjustment width galore (compared to the B410). Its still deep when its loud- and man it can be loud (if that's important). VERY satisfied. My non-pro 2¢.

16. bassboy1076

bassboy1076

Jan 7, 2011
    Any thoughts on LDS?

17. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    If you like the Ampeg tone, you should look at the 210AV, and the portaflex cabs.

LDS don't have any "stock cabs," but, he can build a lot of good stuff.

If you want to stick to an Ampeg-ish tone, I wouldn't recommend the Ff stuff, but, the Baer cabs might work really well for you.

18. +1 to the Ampeg cabs, and that they are very different from the fEARful

Since you dont like the Ampeg tone, I would check out some of the newer designs. AudioKinesis, Barefaced Bass, Baer, fEARful, or any other cab manufacturer utilizing modern drivers. Some of those cabs are a bit more subdued, some are bigger in the low end. They are all much more of a tonal chameleon than most big name commercial cabs.

19. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Baer don't use an LF driver, they use an HO driver.

20. Thanks Chef!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021