1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Little Amps . . . different thinking

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jhan, May 2, 2010.

1. jhan

jhan Guest

I used to be one of those 'You gotta haul tone" people. But lately man . . . I'm really getting tired of hauling that SVT4 Pro around. I used to sneer at those little 4-5 pound amp heads. But now . . . this old man might be seeing the light, at least for rehearsals.

Anyways, I'm looking at GK, SWR, and Markbass. All make very small amp heads. I'm also looking for the loudest and most affordable small cab I can find. Can anyone suggest a good combination?

Tks.

2. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    shuttle 9.0 and a fearful 15/6

/thread

3. TMadeTM

TMadeTM

Jan 14, 2009
    St. Albans, WV
    I'm real happy with my Carvin BX500 and BRX10.2 Neo cab. Great price on it also.

4. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    TC Electronic RH450 and one or two RS210's. Luv it.

5. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    Its fun to look. And there is getting to be alot to look at out there. My " big" rig now is a GK MB-500 head and 2 Avatar SB-112's.( 3 lbs. 12 oz. and 39lbs.x2) Light and Low. My small rig is a GK MB115 combo.(35lbs.)

6. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    The shuttle 9.0 is the logical choice. When I am ready to sell off my SvT's and my 810 cabs then I might migrate in this direction:

Good luck :cool:

7. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    My LMIII sitting on top of my 56 pound Epifani 410 sure makes for a light and loud rig. It sounds very good to boot!

EAcabetc037.

EAcabetc031.

8. MusserMusic

MusserMusic

Mar 28, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    When I can't use this...
    P1000597resize.

I use this....
    Markbass F500/Berg AE410. Lightweight has come along way...I'm no longer disappointed when I have to bring 'the small rig'. I'm even thinking of going smaller...that's insane!
    P1000568.

I still want to go smaller if need be...like a Berg210 or a Berg12"

9. An Orange Tiny Terror bass amp with an Orange SP212 is more than enough for small gigs. I add an Orange OBC115 and stereo with a Phil Jones Suitcase for the big gigs. Alot lighter and smaller than my Boogie D180 or my GK1001RBII with 810 cabs and 18in. cabs, but I'm still getting a great sound with plenty of volume. The 500 watt into either 4ohms or 8 ohms on the Terror is a great feature. I did scare the crap out of my band the first time I showed up with the small Orange rig, until they heard it.

10. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    A lot of people (me included) aren't going to take the little amps seriously until they come in rackmount config.

For the huge savings these things represent in manufacturing costs over conventional heavyweights, it's the freakin' LEAST they can do for the buyer. Wouldn't kill them to put it in a 1U or 2U case. :spit:

The cigar-box configuration just screams, "this is just a secondary rig...my real rig with the effects and stuff is at home...this gig wasn't worth bringing my pro stuff to."

11. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    Many of these can come with rack ears. And IMO, racks haven't been "in" for "looking like pro gear" since about 1992 :D

Plus, 1U is much bigger than "fits in my gigbag pocket."

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I use my Eden WTX-500 every week at rehearsal. There's no doubt in my mind that its tone and power are gigworthy.

13. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Mesa Walkabout head, (13lbs), atop an Uber 212, (46lbs), and I feel like I'm playing a rig 4x the weight, with nothing left out, tonally.

14. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I've got just the thing for you in my signature :smug:

15. fesem

fesem

Nov 11, 2004
    Blacksburg, VA
    Markbass LMII or III and a 4 ohm Schroeder BMF 1212, cab is 38lbs and 800watts.

16. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    See?

That's what I'm talking about! ;)

17. jhan

jhan Guest

Thanks for the input everyone! I got some decisions to make.

18. Phil Jones has horrible customer service, it started out really well, but in the end when they did not manage to solve the problem, they just stopped answering my communication.

I regret spending 1000 eur on the Flightcase BG-150, but now I cant do anything, not even return it as their former Swedish distributor stopped working with them some year ago...

=(

D.Don

19. Kmose

Kmose

Feb 17, 2007
    Colorado
    Lakland, Aguilar
    LMIII and an avatar 4x10 neo kicks serious butt!

20. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    If you want to get into the small stuff, consider a 212 replacing the 410. One with the speakers vertically aligned (one on top the other instead of side by side or diagonal). Big sound, a speaker up closer to ear level and a smaller stage footprint as well being easier to haul around. Can fit in small car trunk or tilt back and roll, etc. It's a rectangle, not a cumbersome cube. Modern 212's can do almost what a good old-fashioned big 215 used to do. That with the few hundred watts that are available from todays little heads should get you what you need. Could even make it a pair of 8ohm 112's if you have a need for a small practice/coffeehouse type rig.