1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Live Mixer Suggestions

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by agreatheight, Oct 5, 2013.

1. My new cover band will be ready to gig out by the end of the year and I am looking for recommendations for mixers. Unpowered with 10 xlr inputs is the goal (I think we will only need 8 but better to have extra in case) and useable compression & effects are a plus. Want something that will last and sounds good (but don't need top of the line, playing bars, clubs, parties, functions in Maine). What are you guys using? What would you recommend?

Thanks much!

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Mixwiz 16:3 is among the best in it's class and can be had for $400-$600 used.

That's what I use and I highly recommend it.

3. +1. Yep, I also highly recommend it too.

4. That is a hell of a board, might be overkill for what I need. But will keep an eye out for a good deal used. Any other ideas?

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    If you see an older Soundcraft Spirit 16 pass by, snag it. Decent mic preamps, 4 aux channels one of which feeds an onboard Lexicon FX section. Sorry, no compression. Should be $250 or under easily.

Edit: I see a couple sold on E-bay for ~$300...mmm, okay. Then again, a handful topped the $500 mark....mmmm, no. If you're gonna drop that kind of dough, get a MixWiz.

Riis

6. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    JOOC, I went looking and found MixWiz 16:2 (British made) locally. I have no firsthand experience with this particular model but the price is right at $275 and negotiable. You'd have to add an FX engine (MidiVerbs are $50 used) but something along this line falls into place with your project IME.

Just a suggestion.

Riis

7. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Not saying it's the best around, but I use a Mackie ProFX16. It has 10 XLR's with one-knob compression on 4 channels and some built in efx. I think it would be fine for your use.

Street price $499 but zZounds has a restock for 450.

8. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Some for 450 or best offer on eBay with free shipping.

9. BassGuyFL

BassGuyFL Formerly known as RichardCranium Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Boynton Bch FL

+2 had one for a while great sounding board with plenty of features.

10. A Mixwiz is really hard to beat for a small utility mixer. Four-band dual-mid-sweep "British EQ" is dang handy. They're small and durable. The suggestion of a used Soundcraft Spirit is a very good one also, but once you get to four-band EQ in a Spirit, you're probably into something larger than a Mixwiz, probably also with an outboard PSU, if that's a problem. The Spirit is also very durable and may be cheaper as they don't enjoy quite the long-term ubiquity of the Mixwiz.

11. i currently gig with a Mackie DL1608...i love it. does everything i need!

im looking to upgrade the console to the Allen-Heath QU-16...their new digital console! it looks to be awesome!...

otherwise take a look at the allen-heath ZED series!

12. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I see different versions of the MixWiz (1,2,3?) ... either preferred, and either less desirable ? .. thanks!!

.. also, I have seen a few of the Yamaha MG series 12-16 channels around for good prices ... the couple I have seen used seem to use decent preamps ??

13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    The newest series have individually assigned phantom power, but are essentially the same as the last series. I have the older one (3) with one master phantom and I like it very much. Paid $450 for it a few years back and it is rock solid.

14. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Ain't cheap but my Presonus studio Live 16.4 2 is great and you need no outboard gear and it really makes a great recording interface as well. Used in the 1000 to 1100 range. Well worth it Imo. If I were staying analog, it would be with a MIxWiz...

15. I really don't like master phantom. I use condensers so I need the phantom power, but every once in a while I'll find some other component that makes nasty noises if it is fed phantom power. Admittedly, that's usually more with multi-media stuff than with traditional band equipment, but still I'd stick with the later ones that have the per-channel phantom control.

Both Soundcraft and Allen & Heath have units with decent pre's that are very nice value for the money. Use a 32 channel A & H at work, and it's been perfect for years - much quieter than the Ramsa it replaced.

16. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis

Good point. The newer MixWiz is pretty readily available on the used market for the same price and there would be little reason to settle for an older board.

That said, if I was in the market for a new board I would be looking at the digital PreSonus boards. They can be had used at a pretty good discount and by all accounts they are the cat's @$$.

17. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    To the OP: what's your budget? Lots of great suggestions above but your options may be limited by the $$ factor.

Riis

18. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    It's easy to use up channels & auxes. If you think you need 10 input channels & 2 auxes, MixWiz is probably a good choice.

19. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Very true...you can use up a lot of empty mic channels very quickly when re-assigning certain functions. I have one dedicated to FX (fed by Aux 3) and another tied to an MP3 player. While not absolutely necessary, I could dedicate two addt'l mic channels to monitors...sliders are a lot easier to manipulate on the fly.

I'm a small time operation but I'd be hard-pressed to look at anything <16 channels. It allows some flexibility in terms of expansion and that has proven to come in handy!

Riis

20. FWIW: I have the first generation Mixwiz 16:2. I bought it new years ago when they first hit the market and I&#8217;ve NEVER had ANY problems with it - it&#8217;s a great little utility mixer.