LMTube...(not 800)...Any More Owners Out There?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lbwdog, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Haven't seen a lot of action around here lately. I like a couple of features not found on the LM III, such as dual inputs and mute switch.
    I also find the LMT more attractive, whatever that's worth.

Just curious to hear from others on this product.

2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I've got one. I've been enjoying it for a while now. I considered selling it at one point, but backed out and kept using it. I've been considering selling it again recently... I have an unending need to try new stuff and for some reason seem morally opposed to hanging on to previous gear :p

It's a great head. It's basically an LMIII with a couple of extra features that are nice (dual inputs, mute switch) and one feature that basically does nothing other than increase gain with no change in tonality (tube blend control).

3. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    That's what I found odd. Was all ready to get one of these last weekend, but couldn't see spending the extra $$ for a fearure that doesn't seem to do anything. So I went with a (great deal BTW) LMIII for less $$.

I'll wait and see what the "Little Rocker 500" holds when I find one.

4. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    If it uses the same micro tube that they use in the LMTube models I think it will be very disappointing, unless they put in some solid state device in the signal chain that emulates a tube being pushed.

5. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    It has a real tube as far as my understanding goes. The actual control for the tube grind is separate from the input. It's not a blend thing attached to the input as on the LMT's.

Someone on another thread who actuall tried one or already owns one had positive things to say.

6. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I'm glad Markbass put a little more thought into the circuit on that one. Don't get me wrong, I genuinely like Markbass products and do really like my LMTube, but their choice of tube and how to implement it was horrible on the LMTube models. Hopefully they've learned their lesson and made greater strides with the Little Rocker... Although... I'm still skeptical. My guess is that there's another solid state component in there doing the heavy lifting to get the tube drive effect. Looking at the amp and the "tube inside" logo, my suspicion (purely speculation on this part) is that they're using that same ridiculous micro-tube with this guy.

7. This is the first I've heard about a "micro tube". Can you point me to any sources regarding this?

In actuality, the tube aspect isn't a big factor for me. I read some of the early reviews which suggested it yielded a minimum effect anyway. Some of the other features are what draws me to it, and while I'm not overly concerned with appearance as a rule, I like the looks of it better than the yellow/black ones.

8. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Basically the tube they went with for the LMTube models is some type of tube that's actually smaller than a 12AX7. I don't remember the model number, but the thing is TINY.

9. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
  10. mac94

mac94

Jun 7, 2009
    Burlington, VT
    "The Little Mark Tube features a single 6205 miniature tube."

11. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    The page for the LM Rocker on the Markbass site doesn't meantion what type of tube, but the front chassis has the same "Tube Inside" logo as the LMT's. :meh:

12. My turn to quote the source....
    same as LMTube

GAIN
    -60 dB to +23 dB range
    TUBE DRIVE (6205 tube)
    MASTER VOLUME
    LINE OUT LEVEL
    GROUND LIFT
    switch on rear panel
    PRE/POST EQ
    switch on rear panel

13. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Consistancy! That's all I'm asking. Consistancy. :spit::bag::D
    That's what I get for skimming and looking for the same info in the same place. :p

14. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Peter Murray of Markbass posted this in the other thread.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=626986
    It addresses the difference between the LMT and Little Rocker.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021