1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Loctite For Hipshot Bass Extender?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PolkaHero, May 13, 2019.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Just wondering if anyone has used Loctite Threadlocker on their Hipshot D-tuners to keep the tuning more stable? Seems like every time I tune up I have to adjust the bolt to get the drop D note in tune. Does using a threadlocker product help stabilize it?

2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I've been using the same one on my jazz for over 30 years, and stays in tune fine. How stable is the tuning on the tuner itself?

3. Goatrope

Goatrope Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    When I had extenders on my basses, I always put a drop of Loctite at the bottom of the pivot where it screws into the baseplate. If not, mine would begin to back out after a while.

4. jebmd

jebmd Gold Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Lothian, Maryland
    I can’t see the negative of using a drop or two of loctite, just make sure you use the blue type.

PolkaHero likes this.
  5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Any threaded tensioner can benefit from a drop of blue Loctite. Once applied and the component re-assembled, rotate the bolt back 'n forth 360 deg for a minute or so or until the assembly begins to squeak. This will gum-up the works as desired and minimize (...if not eliminate) slippage.

Riis

jebmd and PolkaHero like this.
  6. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    This solution assumes that the set screw slipping is the cause of the difference. There are a few other factors including:
    A. Friction anywhere along the string, but especially at the nut. Graphite in the nut slot? Energy stored in the string at friction points will redistribute when you toggle the drop. So the saddle might contribute to this problem.

B. Poor wrapping of the string onto the barrel post.

C. Temperature affects how far the string needs to move to drop precisely, so what may work at the start of the first set might not be right three hours later.

I'very been using Hipshot since they came out, have five of them now, and had them on three other basses I no longer own. Graphite in the nut slot, making certain the string is settled, carefully following the instructions (tune UP to pitch, flick the lever a couple of times, the dropping it, setting the stop then flicking the lever a couple of times again each time I change strings, adjust the truss rod, set intonation (and change saddle height, but I haven't done that in years). Then every time I tune, I flip the lever a few times before I tune, tune up and confirm it comes back to both E and D. Hardly ever readjust the stop on any of them.

Daedraziel and DiabolusInMusic like this.