1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for a set up in New England

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by knigel, Jul 1, 2018.

1. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    I'm the Squier of Fenderbirds
    Hello all,

I recently picked up a 1963 Kay and I’m looking to get a set up, and maybe replace the bridge with and adjustable type. I live in Hopedale, Mass, but I travel for work from Westerly, RI (making Upton an option) to mid coast Maine (and Canada but I’m not sure I want to cross the border with it!). I have done some research and have a couple of names, but I was wondering if anyone they used they really like. Thanks in advance!

Here’s the bass

F4C4EC8F-C07C-491F-9502-B19F8F72179D.

2. Rodger Bryan

Rodger Bryan Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    Besides Upton, I have also dealt with:

Zachary Martin in Pawtucket. He's a meticulous restorer, a great listener and very personable.
    Home | Zachary S. Martin

Mark Leue in Ashfield MA. He's a very nice guy, does good work, a "thoughtful tinkerer" and reasonably priced.
    Mark Leue Stringed Instruments

tonequixote likes this.
  3. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    Ohhh thanks for the tip on Zachary Martin—any idea where his shop is? I used to live on 12th street in providence, which is almost the Pawtucket line.

EDIT: Found it. Oddly enough my gf worked in that building when we lived together in providence.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  4. mooseonbass

mooseonbass Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Boston
    Mark Carlsen in Tewksbury Mass has a great touch with Kays. I highly recommend him.

Sam Dingle and Rodger Bryan like this.
  5. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    Great tip, thanks! Getting a ton of good suggestions here and in DM.

6. Chuck_G

Chuck_G Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Boston Area
    +1 for Mark Carlsen. A great guy who does great work.

Sam Dingle likes this.
  7. Rodger Bryan

Rodger Bryan Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    I have not worked with Mark Carlsen before, but he was highly recommended by several New England folks for great bass setups.

Sam Dingle likes this.
  8. msw

msw

Aug 21, 2003
    Massachusetts
    I have worked with Mark and his setup work is impeccable. He is a great player which I think is important and he has done may setups for many years. Highly recommended.

Sam Dingle likes this.
  9. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans

100% Mark Carlesn. Great guy and great luthier. Contact him here: The Set Up Shop-Welcome! I used him for my bass before moving from mass to new orleans then he was kind enough to rent me a bass when I was back in the north east.