Looking for Bass Tube Amp Recommendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cnivek61, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Cnivek61

Cnivek61

Jul 17, 2017
    I am a relatively new bass player and enjoy playing and working with (restoring) older (typically '80s) basses and amps. My primary amp at home is a SWR Workingman 300 driving a Peavey 115BX BW cab.

I'd like to to find an all tube bass amp and have the following on my radar:
    • Peavey AlphaBass
    • Peavey VB-2
    • Traynor YBA-200
    What else should I be looking for in this zone?

Ellery and Bruiser Stone like this.
  2. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Texas
    Orange AD200 and Ampeg of you favorite wattage.

rodl2005, Ric Vice, SirSparkz and 3 others like this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    What's your budget and (roughly) where are you?

Tubes are fun!!!

4. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    What are your selection criteria? Budget?

Looking at the three you mentioned an FMV tone stack, a mix of 2, 4, 8 ohm options, 250 watts or less, and fairly budget friendly. From that maybe also a Mesa buster or D180, Fender bassman 100/135 either vintage or newer, one of the various univox models (1501?), or maybe one of the fender/sunn 300T amps if you can find one. I was recently poking around in an ampeg SVT-100 (aka Ampeg V5) for a friend. They're from the 80s and are generally described as an ampeg take on a marshall, usually come up for not too much money.

chupacerveza likes this.
  5. Cnivek61

Cnivek61

Jul 17, 2017
    Reverb has examples of the aforementioned amps for $500-600, though I'd rather spend a bit less and leave room in the budget for new tubes. I live in Michigan. What do you have in mind?

chupacerveza likes this.
  6. I have been using the Traynor YBA200-2 for about 2 years now and love it. I run it through a single 410 traynor cab and it sounds great and plenty loud. Used it at big shows and little ones and have always had enough power. Great DI out and the build quality is awesome. I've even dropped it a couple times and it just keeps ticking. Cant beat the price either.

7. Cnivek61

Cnivek61

Jul 17, 2017
    You are very close on selection criteria, including budget friendly. I'm not a collector and don't want museum pieces - I will play whatever I buy. A vintage Fender would be nice but they tend to command premium prices. My other criteria are reputation for good tone and "work-on-ability" i.e. wiring and components that are reasonably accessible and replaceable if needed. I neglected to mention the Sunn 200T / 300T - those hit my radar also but seem to be quite rare.

chupacerveza likes this.
  8. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Yeah you probably see more of the 300T with the fender badge (actually looks like most on reverb are sunn labeled), same amp, though probably not the most serviceable. Or cheap.

chupacerveza likes this.
  9. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    The two peaveys are hybrids, solid state in the preamp.

If you are into restoring stuff, a vintage tube PA is where the max value for money is.

10. neddyrow

neddyrow @TeddyPlaysBass - Instagram Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    I’ve been very happy with my Genz Benz shuttle 9.0. It is similar to what you are looking at with a tube preamp and solid state amplifier. GB are always out there used.

chupacerveza and pellomoco14 like this.
  11. dcbassist5

dcbassist5 Supporting Member

May 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown, Lakland
    Ampeg V4-B. Done.

more than enough power, killer tone, lighter than most tube amps.

ktdal, 74p, looper and 7 others like this.
  12. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    Musicman HD130; S/S pre, tubes power, some have tube recto's.

ahc and Fuzzonaut like this.
  13. I have a 50 watt vintage PA that had 4 inputs, I've modded a few tube stages into a high gain guitar stage and left an input thats great for bass.
    You could also check out the eden300t/fame-smarvo-bvh300/ashton bv300 as a cheap and easy to work on option.

chupacerveza likes this.
  14. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    Fender Studio Bass

chupacerveza, rufus.K and pfschim like this.
  15. Bruiser Stone

Bruiser Stone Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    I own an Alpha Bass. It’s all tubes. Another TB’er has a fine example of one for sale right now.

I also used to own a Sunn 300T. It’s a monster.

chupacerveza and Raw N Low like this.
  16. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    If you can find one...Traynor YBA-3 custom special. Best sounding bass amp ever made.
    Plus..when it goes from standby to on there are two jewel lights and it goes from red to green.
    Heavy suckers....but you won't find a better tone from any other amp ever made.

17. Mr. Foxen

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Graphic EQ on the front gives away the solid state. Need another preamp valve for every two bands if it ran off valves.

Mark Reccord and chupacerveza like this.
  18. Bruiser Stone

Bruiser Stone Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    It can run with/without the EQ activated. Same with the 300T. I’m not sure if that qualifies as all-tube when disengaged, but I like both of them.

Cnivek61, Raw N Low and chupacerveza like this.
  19. Mr. Foxen

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    300T is def a hybrid, laods of SS in the pre, token preamp valves.

chupacerveza likes this.
  20. Cnivek61

Cnivek61

Jul 17, 2017
    The Peavey manual for the AlphaBass indicates a switchable 9-band graphic equalizer (may be removed from the signal chain) and a 3-band passive equalizer. Tube complement is 2-12AX7s in the preamp section and 6 6L6GCs in the power section with a 12AT7 drive and 12AX7 predriver.

chupacerveza likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021