1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for real nice 2 ohm head.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vinxbass, Nov 1, 2013.

1. I'm going to buy a new bass amp head that goes down to 2 ohms besides a Carvin. Been using their stuff since 2007 and way too many reliability issues, I'm done with them. I want to bi-amp, using 2 4 ohm cabs. Interested in the 2001rb Gallien-Kreuger, that's around the price point of something I'm looking for. Got $1500-1700 to spend, what's out there besides GK?

2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Are you interested in heads that can handle 2 ohms in mono/bridged mode, or are you interested in amps with stereo/biamp capability that can go down to 4 ohms on each of the two channels? Those are rather different requirements...

3. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    AFAIK, Hartke LH1000. Also, Eden WT heads were dual mono, at least the WT-600 and WT-800. Ashdown ABM900 is another option.

4. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    If you want to bi amp, 2 ohms has nothing to do with it.
    You are looking for something with 2x4 ohm stable outputs.
    Bi-amping is much easier to do with a separate preamp/preamp rig, as nearly all poweramps have two channels.
    The GK you mention is technically bi-amped but only with their cabs. I wouldn't call it bi-amping because instead of handing off your lows to a specialized driver you'rehanding off your highs; a job done perfectly fine by a good passive crossover.

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    What are you bi-amping into?

6. The latter, heads that can run 2 4ohm cabs in bi-amp mode.

7. I'm looking for an amp that I can run bi-amp 2 4 ohm cabs.

8. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    +1

9. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    That's not really called "biamping". Some heads more appropirately call that "bridged". Very few heads actually bridge the power output.

But anyway, a killer head that is the Mesa Titan V12 can certainly do 2ohm (yes load two 4ohm cabs), and do it louder than most.

10. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    2 ohms doesn't have anything to do with "bridged."
    You are talking about either "dual parallel" or 2 ohms usage.
    Neither of which is bridging.

11. I'm still going to be using 2 Carvin BRX 4 ohm cabs.

12. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Bridging = using a stereo amp with both channels working into one impedance load, providing much more voltage than either amp alone.

Bi-Amping = using a cross over to split your signal into different frequency ranges, each sent to a cab designed to reproduce that specific range

Dual-Mono = using two full range cabs and an amp for each of those cabs.

kosmicwizard likes this.
  13. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Then you really don't need to be worried about bi-amping. They're both full range cabinets.

14. If you are looking to have a mono, non crossed over 'dual mono' system, with a single preamp driving two power amps, each powering a separate 4ohm cab (which I believe is what you want to do), I would consider trying to find a new or used Genz Benz Shuttle Max 12.2 or 12.0 (not much difference). Lightweight, LOTS of EQ, tube versus FET front end option, nice power at 4ohms per side.

This head has no 'balance' control for the two power amps, so it is only appropriate if you use two identical or very similar cabs (i.e., similar sensitivity and power handling).

Great option... super lightweight, good quality, and given Genz is being eliminated or at least absorbed into the Fender amp family, there are some great deals, with Fender support.

Of course, the Eden WT800 is a classic.

15. Just checked and there is a new Shuttle Max 12.2 on Amazon.com for $645. Amazing. Typical selling price is closer to $900.

The tonality is a bit tight and controlled down low (although you can widen it up nicely with the variable hi pass/low end boost), and a bit bright up top, but you have tons of EQ options. It is still a very 'articulate/modern' sounding head, but sounds great and puts out decent power with two 4ohm cabs. Only about 8 or 9 pounds, with a wonderful foot controller for filters and channel switching and tuner mute.

16. Vinx, I have been using Carvin amplifiers for nearly twenty years. The only unit that failed me did so after a fall. it still works but one channel is intermittent.

I too use a pair of 4Ω cabinets, one per output channel. This is what I think you are trying to accomplish. At under $500, a BX1500 is a great amp and I certainly like mine. That will leave you with a grand+ in your bank account which, in this economic climate, is a wise place for it.

17. Amps with two power amps that are 2 ohm stable (like the dual mono 2001RB) will drive a 4 ohm load in bridged. Amps that are 4 ohm stable per side will drive an 8ohm load in bridged.
    Bridging an amp with two power amps runs one power amp with inverted input signal and the other non-inverted.

kosmicwizard likes this.
  18. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    If cost is not a concern:

Avalon VT-737sp
    avalon_737.

McIntosh MC1.2KW -- 1200W @ 2, 4 or 8 Ohms
    mc12kfront.

19. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    Eden WT550 or Eden WT405.

20. If he wanted to run at 2ohms using a 'monoblock' head, those two would work for sure.