1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for some pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bloodbuzz, Jan 16, 2012.

1. I play bass (a Squier VM Jaguar) and I am looking for some effects. I am looking for a compressor, fuzz, overdrive, delay, and reverb. I don't gig or anything, but I sometimes play with some other people. They don't have to be super high quality (or high quality for that matter), and they have to be fairly cheap, below a $100. I don't care if they are for bass or for guitar, but if they are guitar, be sure that it won't cut the low end too much. I am OK with SOME low end loss, but not a lot.

Some pedals I was thinking of were Bass Big Muff Pi, Boss ODB-3, MXR M-102, Rogue Analog Delay, but I know nothing about any of these pedals (or any pedals, really) besides that the first to pedals are for bass and the last two are for guitar.

Thanks.

2. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    common myth the bass big muff isnt for bass. its a guitar pedal its a copy of the black russian big muff that sounds decent with bass but theres better fuzz pedals out there. Try out the way huge swollen pickle best fuzz ever and 100$ off amazon.

3. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    Buy everything used from the classifieds. The best way to go. I snagged a Full Custom Repair Barnacle for $100 on there. Awesome cheap fuzz.

4. jackwell1029384

jackwell1029384

Dec 12, 2011
    i have the boss odb3 and it's a really good place to start with overdrive. not the best OD out there but perfect for what you want IMO

5. The Swollen Pickle looks pretty cool.

6. calebbarton

calebbarton

Aug 25, 2007
    Oregon
    I manufacture for several companies including but not limited to: Bridge City Sound, Catalinbread, more.
    Check out the Catalinbread SFT for overdrive. I love mine. Also the SubDecay Supernova drive is awesome too. Check out the Spring Theory for reverb.

7. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    If you're just experimenting as a noob, a multi-effects unit can be helpful to figure out which effects you like, and which ones you don't. (I can't tell if you're experienced or not). If I'm not mistaken, some of the multi-fx units are good home practice tools, too.

The suggestion to shop the Talk Bass classifieds was right on. You can find some great deals there (and some not so great deals too ;) shop carefully and you can find some bargains.

8. 5stringwonder

5stringwonder

Sep 24, 2006
    Singapore
    Got a bunch of pedals listed for sale if you are interested (see sig). Let me know if anything interests you.

9. I relatively new to bass and I have never used pedals before. I will check out the classifieds, but I live in Canada, so some people may not ship to me..

I have never thought about getting a multi effect pedal. I'll look into those too.

10. I relatively new to bass and I have never used pedals before. I will check out the classifieds, but I live in Canada, so some people may not ship to me..

I have never thought about getting a multi effect pedal. I'll look into those too.

11. I am new to playing bass and I have never used a pedal before. I'll check out the classifieds, but I live in Canada, so some people may not ship to me.

I never thought about a multi effect. I'll check those out.

12. I'll check the classifieds, but I live in Canada so some might not ship to me.

13. While you're at it buy some supporting membership so you can post a wanted to buy advert.

Buying "overseas" is easy if you make it easy for the seller to post by priority mail, it's tracked and insureable. Some crazies and the very odd one who's been burned with a bad experience won't post overseas but most will when you fill in the blanks for them.

14. Bump. Are you allowed to bump? Anyways, I'll look into some more used pedals.

15. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Bloodfuzz, the Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro will give you all of the features you requested in one box. It isn't a pedal, but a multi-fx rackmount, but it is a small box, not very deep. With a computer and MIDI cable, you can program in all sorts of presets ahead of time. They can found for under $100 used here in the USA.

16. Interesting. I've heard some BAD things about Behringer. But I'll check that out.

17. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Yes, you probably have, and you will continue to hear bad things, but I have owned one for over a year now. It traveled to church with me every weekend for 6 months before it became permanently attached to my home mixer and used for home practice. It continues to work flawlessly. I use the computer software to change settings, because someone managed to hit my BVPro and crushed one of the bank selector buttons. I can go UP, but not DOWN. Not very handy when you are in the midst of a 7-song set.

There is a BVPro club thread over in the Amps portion.

For what you wanting to do, it seems like a perfect fit. Simple and cheap.

18. Cool. I'll try to find one I think.

19. For compression, I've heard goof things about the mxr dynacomp. Mxr also makes a good analog delay. There's also the ehx memory toy. I think I gor mine for about 100. The marshall jackhammer does decent od/distortion for cheap.
    Boss or digitech are usually good choices for any of those. Most of them are close to your range new; I'd suggest buying used.
    A multi effect woukd also be a great idea. I had a digitech one. It wasn't great but it got the job done.

20. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    That's right: GOOF things, aka bunk.