1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking to replace a pickup for the first time ever... Ideas?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Seb Peters, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Seb Peters

Seb Peters

Oct 21, 2011
    Hey everyone,

I'm looking at changing my pickups for the first time ever, and I know very little about the subject. I'll give you some basic info about what I use/play etc... that might give you an insight into what I do.

I'm looking for a pretty growly sound, but one that will work with slap as well as fingerstyle.

My Bass (My main bass, anyway...) :

• Hudson PB4, Curbow designed, active electronics.
    • Using D'Addario Prosteels, medium gauge.

[​IMG]

(Or here, if the picture doesn't show: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sebthepeters/7824370432/)

My playing style:

• I never use a pick.
    • I play fingerstlye about 50% of the time, and I slap the other 50%.
    • It ranges from very aggressive metal/prog-rock to fairly mellow/chordy stuff to support a piano.

When I say I play slap, I mean slap. I don't just slap a note here or there, but I don't go over the top and play 5634572927 notes a second just because.

I'm not too limited on price, but if I can get something that does the job and it's cheaper than something else that does the same thing, I'm all in.

TL;DR
    I'm looking for a pickup with plenty of growl, that will work in both heavy and funky styles.