1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Loud enough? 225 watts / all tube (Peavey)

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by rich18rich, May 28, 2011.

1. rich18rich

rich18rich

Oct 11, 2008
    saco, ME.
    That's my question. However, we play hardcore punk rock at earth-shattering volumes. I've been ok at practice and shows with my SWR 750 and, to some extent, my GK Backline 600 (both cranked up to 11), but will a Peavey VB-2 have the volume I need for, say, an outdoor festival or a larger venue?
    I know, generally, we're either miced or DI'd but we really tend to use our amps as personal monitors for hearing on-stage and for, I guess, an aggressive feel.
    It's seems almost impossible to judge an amp's volume in a music store when trying to compare it to a live situation.
    Thanks guys, any advice/opinions are greatly appreciated by a BIG fan of TalkBass.
    Rick

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Get two 8x10's and that Peavey will be plenty loud for even the "earth-shattering" gigs.

3. If 225 all-tube watts aren't enough..I shudder. What type of P.A. support are you using? Monitoring?:eek:

All kidding aside, I hope adequate ear protection is involved?

Marc

4. Goodlawdy

Goodlawdy

Mar 27, 2008
    It's all about the speaker cabinet. I ran a vb-2 and a 115 cabinet for awhile and I remember a sound man making me keep turning down. Had the speaker been closer to my head, there probably would have been no problem.

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    So why waste your $$ on newer, louder rigs that will probably be as loud as the PA?

I suggest you keep the volume medium on stage and let the PA handle the rest.