1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Loudest/Most Impressive Little Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SalmonCubes, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Title says it all. What's the biggest surprise you've had when you plugged into a new small cab?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ampeg SVT 210av. A little higher tuned and less heavy duty than the 810e, but it sure cops that vibe once you boost the low end a little.

3. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    There have been some crazy new designs that achieve a bigger and bigger sound, in a much smaller/lighter cab than I would've ever thought possible :)

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Oh yeah, and the fEarful cabs, too ;)

5. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    Haha!

6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    The powered PA (FOH) style cabs with built in DSP (Digital Signal Processing) get the most out of small size. And come with an amp. Peavey, JBL, QSC, RCF, ...

7. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    Bag End S15D.

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Depends on what you consider a "small" cab, but for me, the GB Uber 212 is the one. Much smaller than any bass cabs I've used in the past, and an enormous amount of sweet creamy loud comes out of it.

9. I don't own one, but I have played through a Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout, 1x12 with 8" passive radiator. That combo is really impressive. It gets a deep bass tone with clear mids and highs. It gets plenty loud, too.

10. fEArless 115. Hit that with some decent power and it will get shockingly loud.

11. remainthesame

remainthesame

Sep 24, 2008
    Its not loud, but I'm impressed with the tone I get with the little peavey 15 watt combo that I use to jam with when I'm by myself.

12. Gab124

Gab124 The path is greater than the destination

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    I'm really liking my Xsonics 2155cf - 49lbs 1000watt 3way box of goodness.

13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

At a music store that provided a stage and some amps, I plugged into a Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0 with the 12" combo speaker. I darn near blew myself off the stage! The entire band was amazed with the volume and depth of that combo, and they still are....

Because 60 days later it was my Christmas present from my wife. I sold all my heavy amps and cabs and have never looked back.

14. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 Very midrangey, but for those with relatively low power and not needing a lot of real low end, VERY impressive. The 'x' version with the coax tweeter is beautiful sounding for those who want a bit more modern vibe. Great punch and articulation, if a bit heavy form factor.

For a more fullrange tone, for those using relatively low powered amps (300-600 watts into 4ohms), the Audiokinesis Thunderchild TC112 (for those who want a very even, studio monitor like vibe), or the Baer ML112 (a bit 'modern meets vintage') are tops.

If you have a bit more power at 8ohms, the fEARful 12/6 is impressive.... big everywhere... deep, bright, etc.

15. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Poor photo, but my FEARLESS F110 is equivalent to a high-end 210 cab.

[​IMG]

16. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

That whole thing is just beautiful.... bass, cab, head.... top notch. I bet that sounds absolutely amazing!
    A fearless F112 with a Puma900..... that would be a slamming small rig that could cover a lot of ground. The F110 looks great also!

Edit: Interesting EQ. Wow.

17. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    My DNA 112DNS is shockingly loud. In fact I Ab'ed it against the Berg 12, and went home with the DNA. Lighter weight and just as loud.

18. I dont GAS for micro rigs, I know bigger is better. But there is something about this little rig that makes me a little antsy, and my bank account scared.

19. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Here is another version of small cab beauty... the ThunderchildTC112, the F500 (quite similar to the Puma500).

113_1365_r1_zps5ab95a8b.

punchdrunk likes this.