Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Low A

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by crazybassist601, Jan 30, 2006.

1. What is a good cab for a Low A string on a 5er (the B tuned down a step). I am looking for something with a fast response to it because I play heavy/fast drop D/drop A riffs.

I need to know because this is the next step after I pay off my L-2500 (excited as a mother about that one).

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    how much you wanna spend?

3. Well, I am into saving up for stuff, so prob around a grand (much better if it comes up used often).

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    accugroove.

they make a variety of cabs that'll handle that low low freq you need.

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Bergantino NV series or Aguilar 412 or Schroeder whatever size you need. Each has a unique sound, you may like one and not the other but all get low enough for what you play. I would suggest the 412 based on your description. What head are you using?

6. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Try the swr henry 8x8,Eventhough it is only 8" speakes.....It can handle an astonishing 36Hz at -6dbs!!!!!!!If you want fast and punchy and amazing low end you got it....and even though it is only rated at 480 watts at for ohm's........i know guy's out there that run 900 watt's bridge!!!!!!!!!........without a problem..So check it out and good luck in your search..Cheers Mate!!!!!!!

7. I don't know the specs, but I tune my 5 down to G# and get a real nice sound from between my two cabs, an old school Hartke XL 4x10 and a SWR Big Ben 18. I love the Big Ben, when I play it out I swear it blows the hair on my legs, lol. They aren't cheap though, and truly I really only love the cabs together (separately the are both nice, but it's the combination that I love)...

Good luck!

8. Yea, I can get some pretty boomy low end with my 10's. It's all a matter of how you EQ it.

9. I think that tuning down from B to A is irrelevant to looking for a cab. General low frequency handling is all that you need to look for.

10. Well I am looking for an old school more vintage sound. Something plain and simple, maybe with a little dirt in it. I plan on changing my head after. I need a cab first because my Backline 410 has the speakers pushed in and it sounds terrible. I am looking at a Mesa Boogie head of some sort (D-180, 400, or 400+).

How would the Ampeg 410 HLF sound?

I dont know much about Accugroove. Care to share some info?

P.S. I originally wanted an Ampeg 810 because the Ampeg cabs sound good to my ears (although there is something missing in them) but when I hit anything below a B it sounds bad, looses volume and clarity, and just sounds nasty.

11. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Try out an Ampeg PR-410HLF. Much better than the SVT-410HLF.

Ampeg's best "HLF" style cab.

12. accugroove was built for ERB. It goes lower than most. Ampeg has some rolloff at higher volumes that I don't know much about but i'm sure someone can chime in about that or you can search.

Accugroove with out even looking back. You'll get your grit from your heads you're looking at. Only problem is price range.

13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Another cab that handles lows very well is the Schroeder 21012.

The Schroe 410 should do alright down to low 'A', but the 21012 will have more depth to it (depends on the type of tone you're after).

14. Peg_legs

Peg_legs

Nov 19, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    If you like the Ampeg 8x10, but need more low end, try the NV series from Bergantino. That is, if you can find one. I use the NV 425 and it enjoys the low A. They were recently discontinued, but you may be able to find one. It's definitely the way to go if you are thinking of an all tube head.

I found mine by calling every dealer listed on the Bergantino website.

15. Yea, my first choice is the NV425, but its looking like I'll never get one since they were discontinued :crying: .

16. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Definately a Bergie 610 for you. It sounds like an Ampeg 810, but louder and goes lower (and its easier to get around). I have one and use it with a Mesa 400+; the 2 were made for each other. Go out and try a Bergantino 610 ASAP. They are being discontinued soon (though they will be made in different colors for a bit more throughout the year for a greater price).