Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Low Down Sound.....Again!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chris4001asat, Mar 4, 2005.

1. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    Well, I thought I got over my GAS, until I ran across an amazing deal on a B-Max T. So it's back to cabinet decisions again.... I currently use a Super Redhead with the SWR 18 bottom. I started with only the Redhead, but I blew the speakers after 3 years. I know the 2x8 sounded monstrous in the store, but I'm leary after replacing one of the 10s in the Redhead. I still keep thinking that the 2x15/2x6 cab is the way to go, although I played through the Bergie 6x10, and that sounded pretty impressive. I just remember sitting in about 10 years ago with a band, and the rig was a 2x15, and man did that feel good!
    So opinions.... 2x15/2x6....The Bergie 6x10....a 1 or 2x12 with a couple 8s, or a 4x8. I play in a loud, funky, rock band with 3 horns, B3, gtr, and drums. Mostly fingerstyle, with about 2 or3 songs that I slap in.

2. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    HEY! Back off man...I was just there yesterday to buy my Lakland...I want the 2x15...Tom Bowlus played through it a lil bit with his Walter Woods amp and his hot rodded bass of his. WHOA!!! I want I want. I played through the 3x8 and that is just amazing what it is putting out. Kudos to Don!!!

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    There are so many good choices, and it's really hard to nail down just one recommendation. My suggestion is to just go up to LDS sometime and play through a bunch of cabs to see what you like. Or, drive down to Fremont sometime, and you can try out any of my cabs you'd like to hear!

4. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Rumzi! I thought I might "here" from you today! Nice meeting you last night. And congrats on that Lakland! It sounded really good (better than my bass, I thought) through that 3x8.

Yeah, the low end on that LDS 2x15 was like OMFG!!!:eek::help::bassist: Both of us were quite surprised when I dropped down to a low B through that baby! And talk about light! That just isn't right! Two 15's, two 6's, casters, nice hardware, all in a pretty large box that weighs about 60 lbs.!

I literally bought enough cabs to fill up my car, and didn't have room for any more, so that one is still up there! ;)

5. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Hey it was great to meet you tom...but you know what. It seems I remember you beeing up there the last time I was there...now that I think about it.

Yeah I'm here today...the countdown continues...5 hours till practice with the Lakland.

I'm rrrreally considering taking my Avatar cabs and my cash to get that sucka! The sound is just absolutely immense. I think would go very well with our bands sound...even a LDS 410 might be a good partner to it...why? Because I want to!

6. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Is the 2x15 still there? When I was there, they said it was sold, waiting for pickup.

7. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Rumzini how would you say that 2x15 was voiced? think it would be a good stand alone cab?

8. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Bassgreaser, I was there when Don was putting the 2 X 15/2 X 6 Cab together and it is a stand alone beast! Plenty of punch, I'm sure Don could build a 4 ohm version. The whole thing weighs 30 lbs. less then my 4 X 10 Eden!
    Chris4001ast, Mikebass (who has a cot at LDS) and I were talkin about putting together a big blow out at LDS someday so all the Motown TBer's could see our ugly faces. So we'll try to keep you in the loop, I'll have to do a lot of travel planning it's like a five minute drive.

9. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    burk,
    that blow out gig sounds GREAT!!! you have to keep me in the loop :hyper:

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I'd love to come up for a GTG, but it's a bit more of a travel (and family) coordination thing for me (about 1.5 hours away, and a wife and two kids to schedule around! ;)). And of course, any reason to go to LDS is a good reason!

Rumzini, the last time I was up there was last May, I believe. Maybe we did see each other then, too. I tend to get into a "gear zone" when I am around that much bass equipment!

To my ears, the 2x15/2x6 is voiced for an old school, massive wall of sound. It does not have a tweeter, but has plenty of upper mids from the two 6" drivers. The low end is more massive than, say the HT115 I had been playing through, but was not as tight as the Bergie (which is exceptional in this regard). Because the low end is so huge, it has the effect of making the low mids seem weak. I don't think that they were at all, I just think it was a "relative thing", and a tad of EQ could easily fix any uneveness. I think you'd be hard pressed to move as much air for the same overall cab weight. :bassist:

11. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I think I would be really happy with the Neo 215/2-6 and hmmm...may be the Neo 410 or 610.....sitting next to it. Yeah...yeah...I think I would like that.

Hey add me to that loop as well...being basically a noob compared to'yall I would love to hear the talent.

12. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Rumzeenee ;) , how you liking that 55-01? Isn't a BMF? I got a new one about a month ago, strictly from what I read on TB threads of it, sight unseen, cept for store online pics of course. When it arrived via UPS, I tore the Fodera box open, thinking oh snap they sent me a fodera by accident, nah just used that box for shipping purposes, darn it. Anyway mine is the standard model nat/maple. This bass took me a little getting used to neck and sound wise. The neck seemed really wide and the action was setup crazy low it seemed at first. But after playing it at a few practices this bass now makes me leave my Sray 5 at home, wow, never thought anything would come between me and my ernieball. Just was wondering if your as gaga over yours as I am about mine?

13. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Put it this way...I'm thinking of doing very unatural things to it tonight at practice! I absolutely love it! Like I stated before...so much more punch, clarity. I love the feel...I'm a bigger guy so the I need the wide neck. Actually I wouldn't mind just a lil bit more width and string space...but that's just a big guy talking. When playing Friday night my band members thought i had been holding back my skills or something...I took on the extra string with ease.

14. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Rumzini, LDS can best be described as GAS city, Ryan was telling me about the Acoustic Image Focus SA last week. Like I need another power amp, I can't turn my rig above three in my house, don't want to shatter the tiffany lamps with the low end on my metro! But the Idea of a power amp the size of a cigar box sitting on top of my cabs with my U5 is awfully tempting........

PS: Your deffinently on the blowout list, Mike and I were talkin about it saturday.

15. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Yeah man...just let me know. Like Tom Bowlus though...I'll have work, wife, kids to plan around though.

Yeah smalle stuff sur is cool. Tom had a Walter Woods amp there...unbelievable!

16. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Hey Tom, Was that Bergie 6x10 still there? When I was up there a month ago, I tried that out and was quite impressed. Thanks for your opinion on the 2x15 though. That still sounds like the way to go for me. I'm hoping to drive up there Wednesday right after work. It'll give me a good hour and a half to try things out. I can drop the wife and kid off at the Old Navy outlet store on the way over. Might as well max out her credit card as well as mine! :D

17. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    the bergie 6x10 was still up there as of this weekend...

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yes, I played through it, too. Very nice!

19. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    If there is a GTG, Tim Cole and myself know too. We may make it up. We are about a half an hour from Tom Bowlus, so maybe we could work something out there. Tim and I were up at Lowdown most of the day during Detroit Bassfest, and its a very cool place.

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Definitely. And if you or Tim gig out in the Fremont area, let me know. One of my bands is playing on March 19th, if'n you're looking for something to do...