1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Low Highs

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bass_masta16, Sep 7, 2008.

1. This might go in Setup and Repair, but anyways..

I've seen other basses that deliver really low highs (if that makes sense) what I'm talking about is on the bass I saw the other day, from about 1st fret to the 9th ish fret on the D and G strings, they were really low.

I know that this might be obtained with flatwounds, but I was wondering if I could do anything else, maybe just different strings, or something else I don't know

2. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    Do you mean that the high strings sounded really "bass-y" even though they're higher frequency strings?

Or do you mean that the D and G strings had really low action?

3. Oh, sorry I didn't really specify that..

The D and G aren't very high pitched, like what I'm aiming for is a lower sound

4. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I know a great way to get lower sound. What you do is locate the knob marked "Volume" and turn it Counter-clockwise.

5. So you're talking about more fundamental on the treble strings?

6. Yeeah..

7. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    You mean a deeper tone?

Flats.....

8. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    What scale length was the bass you played?

Other than trying flatwound strings, a bass with a longer scale length will generally sound "bassier" on all of the strings.

9. I'm not sure, it was a MIJ Squier P Bass, a reissue from the 70's maybe? I'm not sure
    But I'm trying to get this sound on my CIJ Squier P Bass