M-Audio Drum and Bass rig question

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by markowens1234, Dec 28, 2005.

1. markowens1234

May 2, 2004
    Alright, for those of you who aren't familiar with this software, it is basically 4 modules: Loop creator, Bassline, Drums, and Electric bass. I am only interested in the drum part of it, but I am not sure what I need to make it work. I'm looking to make my own drum beats and record with them using Adobe Audition 1.5. Do I need some sort of MIDI sequencer? Can I sequence them on audition? I am a pretty big noobie when it comes to this sort of thing, so any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks!
  2. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Audition is a powerful multi-track audio editor. It's not a sequencer.

I don't know anything about M-Audio Drum and Bass Rig, but I'm picking that it can export WAV files. Then you could import that WAV file into Audition. You may be able to use the Drum/Bass Rig as a VST plugin for Audition.
  3. markowens1234

May 2, 2004
    I'm thoroughly confused. I understand what you said, but I haven't the sligthest clue how to sequence the drum sounds and import them as VST's or wav files. Do I need a midi interface? Could someone please run this by me?
  4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Get a keystation 49e for $100 and that is your interface. It's USB and works well with the Drum & Bass. I am not sure how Audition works but it should have a VST or RTAS capabilities. Also, the Drum & Bass should be usable as a standalone. Good luck.
  5. No, Adobe Audition only runs VST effects, not VSTis.

M-Audio Drum & Bass Rig is a VSTi/RTAS--BUT it comes with a standalone version, which is what you would probably be using in your case. I'm not sure if the standalone comes with an export sound feature (I can't see anything of the sort in the screenshot), so the standalone is probably of the loopback sort. However, even if it doesn't have an export sound feature you could still record from it live to Adobe Audition. Most soundcards have that ability.

If you have any questions at all please feel free to ask!

Overall the product looks pretty cool. Though I am totally addicted to Jamstix! You might want to check that out, too, since it is all about drums, drum loops, and realtime drum jamming with lots of awesome controls. Worth every penny, and it has some awesomely inexpensive addon sound packs. Check it out: http://www.rayzoon.com/jamstix_feat.html
  6. markowens1234

May 2, 2004
    Hmm, thanks for the tips, guys. Basically here is what I'm looking at: When I load the program as a standalone, all it is is the 4 modules, and i can hit any of the buttons and it makes the sound (drums, bass note, whatever), but there is no way to create any loops, with just the software loaded. Should I be looking into a midi controller?
  7. Well unless you're incredible at MIDI drumming on a MIDI controller, I'd say you can skip the controller and get a sequencer instead. There are bound to be some freeware ones out there that can load VSTis, but if not, Sonar is always a good option. :)

And also, what soundcard do you have?
  8. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    You can find a list of free MIDI sequencers here.

I would look for the freeware sequencers, as with demos and shareware you might not get full functionality.

You can also download free free VST host programs that will allow you to run VST instruments and effects. This one is a demo, but it looks like it is both a VST host and a sequencer. I'm not sure how it will interact with other software, but it's worth checking out.

Never underestimate the ability to do something for free!
  9. markowens1234

May 2, 2004
    Thanks! That's what I needed to know. I've never done this type of stuff before, so it helps. I'll check out that list of free sequencers when I get home. I'm using a pretty junky Soundblaster Live sound card, it came stock in my computer, I'm considering upgrading it. Any ideas on what a nice upgrade would be, with a price range of about 80-100 dollars? Thanks again.
  10. markowens1234

May 2, 2004
    I found a freeware version of a MIDI sequencer that supports VSTi plugins. Now I just have to figure out how to use it :)