1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Macca's Union Jack Hofner

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by grenadilla, Jun 6, 2012.

1. grenadilla

grenadilla

Aug 22, 2011
    alabama
    Did anyone notice Paul McCartney playing a Hofner with a Union Jack paint scheme at the Queen's concert? It was used on Ob La Di and sounded good.

2. Here it is:

Britain-Queens-Jubilee-Concert.JPEG-00e05.jpg
    chron.com

article-2154562-1373666C000005DC-856_964x550.jpg

3. Yeah, I saw it... And I don't like it. Sorry, just looks too 'car-like' (as in mini cooper roofs etc) to me. Plus, I don't particularly like mr mcartney (don't mind his music, it's his personality I don't like. Please don't hurt me)

Oops, I should probably delete my address in my profile; don't want a gang of bassists at my door!

4. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Yeah, saw the concert on telly last night.
    The Union Jack bass is kinda cool.

What really struck me was poor old Macca's voice.. or whats left of it.
    Kinda hard to listen to.

On a bright point, my old high school classmate Rusty Anderson still plays a mean 335 on Pauls stuff!

5. rfslick

rfslick

Dec 31, 2008
    Benicia, CA. USA
    So, I'm not the only one that thought he was having trouble with his voice. I think he sounded pretty feeble. I can't believe his voice is just shot. There must be a reason...

6. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

May 25, 2009
    Stavenisse
    He just had a little cold...

7. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    One that has lasted 3-4 years?

Really, what do you expect from a 70 year old?

He still can play tho.. and has always been a hero to millions

8. I have the utmost respect for Sir Macca & his accomplishments, but having seen him in a few recent clips, I honestly think he is past it and should hang up the Hofner.

His voice is shot and his band is carrying him musically. (IMO, IME, YMMV, etc, etc)

9. Cool bass . . .

As for his voice, the "problem" (hey, he's 70) lies in that McCartney sings his songs in the original key he wrote them in, and well, he should have lowered them a half step or two some time ago (Impressive, though, since many famous, and younger musician's do this earlier on).

10. rfslick

rfslick

Dec 31, 2008
    Benicia, CA. USA
    I think that we are all fortunate that he was able to continue to be productive this long. Who among us couldn't or hasn't learned from him. Silly love songs... Hardly!

11. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    I saw him back in november fo 2010... his voice was great, nothing wrong with it.
    Of course it's not the same, you can notice it's an old man's voice, but he did a 3 hour show and didn't missed a note. When he played "Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five" he sounded just like the recording.

12. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    After a good long run, I think Paul is finally showing his age. No more boyish looks or sound.

I hate to see his voice go, but it happens. I hated the "Union Jack" bass too - very tacky. Everything else was great. I will always be a huge Beatles/McCartney fan.

Stevie Wonder's voice sounded great, by the way.

13. rfslick

rfslick

Dec 31, 2008
    Benicia, CA. USA
    I saw him in Aug. '66 at Candlestick Park! What a long run!

14. rfslick

rfslick

Dec 31, 2008
    Benicia, CA. USA
    I bet half of the folks here wouldn't mind having that bass. I could most likely put up with it...

15. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2011
    That's a pretty musically significant concert to have attended! Could you actually hear them or just squealing girls?

16. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    Not very found of the looks of the bass too, i think the 'normal' hofner is better.

And in the Jubilee Concert, his voice is truly bad, but i watch some clips of him this year and he didn't sounded like that at all. Must be the cold mentioned before.

17. rfslick

rfslick

Dec 31, 2008
    Benicia, CA. USA
    Considerable screaming. The disappointing part, was that it was only 20 minutes of Beatles after an awful lot of build up!

18. NightTripper

NightTripper

Oct 20, 2011
    I think the bass looks awesome, and Paul did a great job. Haters gonna hate. At 70, he still blows the roof off wherever he goes.

19. We'll miss him terribly soon. The bass is pure English pride and very touching to see from a knight of realm. I'd play it.

His voice is in and out lately. Revolver is right -- he keeps the keys. But get over it -- we'll always have his recordings. Beat that.

20. zack01

zack01

Aug 3, 2002
    We shouldn't worry to much about his voice. Listen to other concert this year and he is fantastic.

I think he just had a cold that night.

http://youtu.be/nUpvy6qi5a8