1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Made in Japan Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dindinbre, Sep 27, 2017.

1. dindinbre

dindinbre

Aug 2, 2017
    Serbia
    I came across this guy today, owner says its MIJ precision. Tuners look kinda odd, so i decided its best to ask here Bas gitara.

2. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    It's surely made in Japan, but it's not a Fender. Judging by the tuners and neck plate, it may be an early '70s Fuji copy, with a fake decal on it.

tomersg and Reedt2000 like this.
  3. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    they do look odd.... I don't know if Fender ever has used those in Japan or not. They sort of look like Gotoh vintage style tuners but not quite the same...

Michael Schreiber likes this.
  4. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    I would agree with cdef that this is likely an older unlicensed knockoff, but Im not an expert.

5. dindinbre

dindinbre

Aug 2, 2017
    Serbia
    I was thinking the same. But decal looks more realistic that any fake decal I've ever seen.

6. dindinbre

dindinbre

Aug 2, 2017
    Serbia
    Well he is asking for 400 euros (about 430 dollars), and that is uncommon for vintage Fenders over here. I saw one with electronics missing for 1200 euros.

7. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    No, it's misplaced, and too straight on. Bear in mind there were no MIJ Fenders until 1982, when they had the parts and manufacturing down to a T. That is a '70s copy, and most likely a plywood body under the black paint.

ED: Corrected year.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    Reedt2000 likes this.
  8. dindinbre

dindinbre

Aug 2, 2017
    Serbia
    Well owner says its alder... And doesn't send bass, you need to see it in person.

9. I'd say it's a copy of some sort or a bass close to looking like a Fender P with Fender decals on it. I've never come across a MIJ that looked like that, especially the head stock but I'm not expert per say either.

10. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Not a real Fender.

11. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Nothing in Google Images suggests that neck plate, and the tuners are budget Japanese sixties all the way.

12. What he said.

13. dindinbre

dindinbre

Aug 2, 2017
    Serbia
    Well, how worth is it after all?

14. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    After doing a quick search on Reverb there are some similar 70's Japanese P basses between $350-$500.
    A couple Memphis and Univox seem to look pretty similar to that one. So the price seems fair enough if it's in good shape and plays nicely. You'd definitely want to play it and make sure the truss rod and electronics work.

15. If it is a true Fender then shouldn't it have a serial number somewhere? Back of the heel?

16. 80Eur

17. I bought my MIJ PB70 in mint conditions last year from Ishibashi and I paid around 350 Eur (is the first bass on my avatar ... nat. finish)

18. Correct!

19. SonnyBassPlayer

SonnyBassPlayer

Nov 29, 2013
    Italy
    Look at those neck heel and neck plate wood contours... totally pointy and totally un-Fender

Lownote38 likes this.
  20. BooshBass

BooshBass

Sep 2, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Yea I'm no Fender expert, but that looks really weird.