Man walks into store with $800 and his P...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ausf, Jan 31, 2009.

1. I'm thinking he did alright. Most people are lucky to get 50% on a trade. The Ray was probably tagged at around $1300.

Mike

2. budget bassist

budget bassist

Jan 4, 2009
    Awesome, looks sweet :)

3. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    Spot on Mike.

I originally bought my P for $700 and almost a year's use out of it. Looked into countless options to convert the P to get a 'Ray tone and was leaning towards that until I picked up the MMs and just felt the bass itself. No offense to anyone, but it made my P feel like a toy in comparison.

So, did I get a great deal, not really, but it certainly was fair. I traded a used bass (which I probably would have tried to sell for $500) into a $1300 (list $1950 and the lowest online I could find was high $13s) bass.

Even better, it was a local shop and a real music store. Actually had lengthy conversations with the owner (who is a bassist) over a period of two days. Reminded my of the original Sam Ash 30 years ago.

So I put some cash into my local economy, not a corporation, got me a beautiful new 'Ray and I didn't have to mess around with selling anything. I now have a bass I've been interested in since my early days of playing but could never afford. That was back when Rics were under $400 and MMs were considered an expensive upgrade.

4. excane

excane Inactive

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Gotcha. Enjoy the bass :)

5. excane

excane Inactive

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    It just needs a matching headstock :bag::)

6. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    Thank you sir!

7. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    Bleccccch. ;)

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Very nice! You've done well there!

9. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    It is a maple neck. Rosewood fretboard... :smug:

MM

10. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Spank that baby! Make it cry "uncle"! ;)

MM

11. This would have been the biggie for me. The used market is moving very slowly. The OP was able to avoid the craigslist crapshoot, shipping the bass anywhere and didn't lose his ass in the trade. All around decent deal.

My local shop has a nice piece I've wanted for a while at a good price but they won't take trade ins and I'm just not wanting to deal with the market. So I go without.

Mike

12. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    Eh, I dont think the color is right for Gen. Lee.

13. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    One of my favorite colors of all time on any bass.
    I wouldn't change a thing. Congrats!!!

14. MooseLumps

MooseLumps

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    Halloween 'ray
    you could get a riot started playing "eye of the tiger"
    line that up with a drummer who has the John Bonham replica acrylic shells and get a monochrome thing going on

15. I think you got a decent deal, ausf; the main thing is, you're happy.

I like that color a lot, but then again, rosewood with a tort guard looks good with any color in my humble opinion.

Good luck with it, ausf. ;)

Mike

16. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    VERY sweet-looking bass! And I think the color combination (orange/rosewood/tort) is killer. It reminds me of a Fender Jazz I sold about a year ago. Maybe they're distant cousins... ;)

100_0723-1.jpg

17. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    That's a beaut!! My hotrod P is the same combo...

l_efcf882dfe6f6ad5c19924f8b6c26e73.png

18. FrigginChris

FrigginChris

Feb 6, 2006
    illinois
    great looking bass!

stingray's are amazing, i know you'll as be happy with yours as i am with both of mine :bassist:

19. MStrianese

MStrianese

Jul 26, 2008
    New York
    :eek: congratulations!

20. I have that bass too - it's the nicest looking bass I've ever seen!! . . . oh and the OP's is up there too!! VERY nice! I really dig the control plates on MM's. They make the appearance!