Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

March... in May?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SharkB8, May 20, 2004.

1. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    Marchlewski that is....

So, after many, many years playing a ton of basses, tabulating my preferences, talking and visiting luthiers...I've decided to become the latest victim of Marchlewski Guitar Co.

Here are the specs:
    5 String (3/4" Spacing)
    Single Cut (slightly oversized) Swamp Ash Body (See Pic)
    Burl Maple Top
    Maple Neck with Mac Ebony F/B
    Hipshot A Bridge and tuners
    Nordstrand Fat Stacks
    Demeter Pre
    ...and More!!!

Should be finished sometime around September. Since I work so close to Gallery Hardwoods, I get to go pick out my own wood. This bass is gonna be smokin!!!! :hyper:

2. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Nice specs and shape! I'm loving single cuts! You must post pics in Sept!

Good luck, she'll be a bute :bassist:

3. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    For those interested, I'll be posting pics along the way as they become available....

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Is that shape a copy of Wolfehollow's piccolo bass?

5. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    It's kinda like Wolfe's with the following changes:

It features Jacob's upper horn design, adds a lower horn (for seated balance), and incorporates the rear cut out as seen in Wolfehollow and Malthumb's basses. Wolfe's upper horn is more of smooth design in the vein of Fodera, Nordstrand and the like.

Wolfe's piccolo doesn't have the lower horn, or the rear cut out....

I was trying to incorporate (IMHO) the best of all the designs I've seen so far, retaining what could be Jacob's signature items (upper horn, etc.).

6. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    Well,
    I just got back from an awesome visit with Larry @ Gallery Hardwoods. Let me 1st give major thanks to Larry for spending time in talking and showing me his wood selections. If any of you ever get the chance to visit his shop, you are in for a treat. I almost passed out with all the sights and smells of the wood! Luckily, I got to do this before he closes up for June and moves the operation to Oregon. Anyway....Larry is a real class act, and he deserves all the success he gets.

On the bass front, I've decided not to go with the rear cutout....after choosing this amazing crotch myrtle top, it would be a total shame to cut part of it out. I was also thinking about the pickguard like Wolfe's and Malthumb's...but no more...can't cover this top. It's wild!!!

Pics of the wood to follow in a few days.....

Again...big thanks to LARRY!!!

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    LArry showed you his wood ?????????? sorry that was juvenile...why is he moving to Oregon ? all of the fine wines that are produced there ?

8. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    Sooner than expected.....
    Here's the crotch myrtle body.....(this is not the final shape...it'll be a little wider...and the upper horns different)

9. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    And the swamp ash body...

10. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    Body w/fretboard

11. Kelu

Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    more please ! ! ! !

12. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    new pics soon... couple hours.

13. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    Good Lord....I can't wait!!!!

14. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    HURRY!!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

15. Well,
    It's been a month. Have you seen any progress on your bass?

From one Marchlewski customer to another..... ;)

16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    *tap* *tap* *tap* *tap* *tap*

We are waiting here

*tap* *tap* *tap* *tap*

:smug:

17. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    Well,
    There are 2 pics at the Marchlewski website. Pretty much the same pics I posted above, 'cept the body cutout and the neck (sans f/b) put together. I don't have any other pics. There have been a few changes and decisions....

The bass will now be a 6 string with 3/4" spacing at the bridge. Neck will be .875 at the 1st graduating up to .975 @ 15th with a flat C profile. 20" radius (very flat) and will have wood binding as well.

Same Nordstrand Fat Stacks (in a 6 string config.) and an Aguilar OBP-3 pre (instead of Demeter). I heard there was some s/n issues with the Dem and Nord pups, and Carey advised that the aggie works really well....

That's about all I know, as soon as there are new pics, I will post them, but I'm trying not to put any pressure on Jacob due to his very busy schedule.

18. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    I have new pics!!! :) just took them today... the black bass is in the spray booth... looks AWESOME!!! None more black!

You can really see the quilt through the black... It was wet so I couldnt touch it, ans I only got one shot because of the fumes, etc... he was spraying it every fifteen minutes or something like that.

[​IMG]

19. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    Here is a pick of Sharks bass...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought the string count had gone up! hehe... that top looks awesome up close!

20. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    HOLY CRAP!!!!!
    THAT LOOKS AWESOME!!!! Big thanks Wolfe for the pics!!!!!