1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass amps/cabs???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Will__, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Will__

Will__

Sep 6, 2008
    I heard so many good things about the LMII And im thiiiiiis close from buying one.

But how come almost everyone who bought the LMII (or any other MB amp) havent bought a Markbass cabinet to go with it? The amps are good the cabs arent? Arent the same brand cab suppose to fit best with the amp?

2. taterlog

taterlog Guest

Jan 4, 2008
    Mississippi
    Some folks don't like the sound of the cabs. Some don't like the color. I like and use MB amps and cabs.

3. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY
    One more here using MB amps and cabs.

4. jconary

jconary

May 18, 2008
    Germantown, MD
    Can't claim I am third but use a MarkBass 2X10 combo over a MarkBass 15 inch cab.

5. tradernick

tradernick Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2008
    I'll be honest with you. I bought the LMII and the 2 x 10 cab and used them for about 6 months. I loved the gear because of of its low weight. However, I did find a certain something lacking in the cab, a bit of a lack of clarity or definition or focus. The sound was a bit 'whoomy'. I know these words either mean something to you or don't but some guys will know what I mean. I'm running a passive Jazz bass through it.

I replaced the Markbass cab with an Epifani 2 x 10 cab and I couldn't be happier. The Epifani is smaller, weighs about the same and sounds, to my ears, a lot better.

6. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY
    I use a SD800 with a 151HR and a traveler 102p cab. Perfect combination for me. Light, loud, punchy and focused.

The cabs are great and go along really well with the head.

7. +1

I use and like the MB Traveller 2x10 over a MB 151HR.

8. I've been using my CMD102P for over a year and still in love so ya, they work great.

9. Well, I just purchased a new rig. My original intention was to buy a Little Mark II and MB cabs. I ended up with a Mark F1 and two Bergantino AE112s. I took two of the guys from the band with me to make the purchase and we collectively made the decision. I really like MB but the Bergantinos just seemed to suit my fancy more. Nothing technical with the decision just my ear and personal needs.

10. I wanted something and portable to haul around to rehearsals, jams, etc.
    I tried the LMII combos at the GC. Then I tried the Genz Shuttle 3.0/8 (or maybe it is a 10) & 6.0/2x10. Then I went back and tried the LMII again. Then I went and then the Shuttle 6.0 again. Then I went back and bought the LMII. Couldn't exactly describe why. I had hoped to like the Genz better.

But I still needed a small cab. They had a traveler 102P in stock. It was 8 ohms. So I bought it.

Here I am a couple of weeks later thinking "it works, but maybe there is something better". Unfortunately there is not a lot of opportunity to audition various small, lightweight cabs in this area. At least that I am aware of...

11. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY
    I was using Bergantino cabs and now use the Markbass ones. As you said, it is just a matter of personal taste/needs.

12. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY

Add a 151HR and don't look back. :)

13. Because you can't stand the sight of the yellow speakers? :meh:

14. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    The MB cabs are *okay*, but I find high-end cabs just sound better. I usually buy my cabs used and save $ that way too.

15. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY
    I consider my Markbass cabs to be high-end. I don't understand the post above, what would be "high-end"?

16. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY
    On another note, just to be fair, I really don't like Markbass 4x10 cabinets. The 115HR and 115HF are fantastic, the same for the 210 cabs, but for some reason, I don't like the 410s...
    I tried to convince myself several times to change my 102p to a 410HR. After going back and forth several times, I am convinced the 102p sounds much better with my 151HR than the 410HR.

17. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    104HF...

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Markbass cabs are an acquired taste, that's all. In a store they may not sound pretty, but on a gig they sit in a mix pretty darn sweetly.

BTW, there is nothing low end about Markbass cabs. They may not be everyone's bag, but they're about as high end as it gets.

19. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY
    Not a fan of front ported cabs. To give an idea, I was using Bergantino AE210, also rear ported. For me, front ported may sound good in a store, in your living room... Rear ported sounds better (more controlled) in a stage.

20. I use a Mark Bass Little Mark II but I don't use the cabs. I didn't like how the cabs sounded.