1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Markbass question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BackonBass13, Oct 11, 2013.

1. I'm currently running a MB 4x10 with my Little Mark III. Is the amp powerful enough to run a 1x15 also??

2. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks.

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    Get ready, because you're probably about to see a lot of information about amplifiers and speakers that you hadn't bargained for. I'll try to summarize the things that pop up in threads like this.

1. What matters when adding cabs is impedance, measured in ohms. I believe the smallest impedance your amp can work with is 4 ohms, so one 4 ohm cab or two 8 ohm cabs will be the max you can run with it. First, ascertain the impedance of each cab. Then you will know whether or not it is safe to run both.
    2. Just because it is safe to run both cabs doesn't mean it will be optimal. There is a lot more speaker area in a 410 (read: LOUDER) then in a 115, so that little 115 will be struggling to keep up while the 410 will be sailing along. The 115 cab becomes a glorified stand at that point - it cannot keep up with the 410 in terms of volume, so it's only useful feature is that it props the 410 up closer to your ears.
    3. You didn't state that you believe this to be the case, but still: Speaker size, in and of itself, does not determine the tone of the cabinet. That 410 of yours, by virtue of having more cone area, will be able to pump out much more lows at higher volume than a production 115 bass cab. Now, manufacturers will often design cabs to play in to this assumption (making 115's that sound darker, 410's that sound snappier), but it's all the other parameters of the box and speakers that create that cab's tone. The only tonal aspect that speaker size has a direct effect on is high frequency dispersion (how far to the side you have to stand before you notice highs becoming less present). Generally, the larger the speaker, the lower in frequency range this beaming effect begins to happen.

You'll also run into things like phasing and comb filtering when running dissimilar cabs, but I think I've hit you with enough technobabble already. I hope I've answered more questions than I've raised. Good luck!

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    HUGE +1 read the above post, then go to the stickies and faq's for more info. Bottom line- impedance is your main concern, and matching cabs will always outperform a mixed set. The 410/115 pairing has been a proven failure, with thousands of blown 15's as a result. It *can* work, but it is one of the worst cab pairings imaginable. Read those stickies.

4. Do you like the sound of your current 410? Or are you wanting a tonal change?

5. I personally love my Jeff Berlin Combo and NY151 extension cab (2-15s), but if I had OP's rig would get a 2 nd matching cab and be happy .

6. I'm confused. MB410 is a combo.

7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I assume he is talking about a MarkBass 410 (MB), not the GK all in one stuff.

8. karl_em_all

karl_em_all

Jul 11, 2013
    Dimension X
    I think you're already using a 4ohm cab. It's either two 8ohm cabs or that single 4ohm cab you already have.

edit: I checked the specs on the Mark Bass 410's. They're available in both 8ohm or 4ohm. So if you have an 8ohm cab pair it with another 8ohm 410 like Hobobob said.

9. flatfender

flatfender Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit Supporting Member

I run a LMII with 2 - GK SBX410+ cabs sometimes for outdoor and large indoor gigs and it's loud.

I've also ran it thru a supplied backline SVT810E and it was also more than adequate. As in awesome. :p

Along with every one else here, stay away from the 410/1-15 combo. Get another 410 cab if the one you have is 8 ohms.