1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

marshall 4x15 dimensions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by distrot, Apr 25, 2009.

1. distrot

distrot

Mar 26, 2007
    I need the dimensions for the square marshall 4x15.

thanks

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Big.., r-e-a-l-l-y BIG! :D

All kidding aside, I'd image that Marshall's web site would have the specs.

3. distrot

distrot

Mar 26, 2007
    i've been looking for a while...their website is junk

4. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    bass cabs are 4x12 at this time
    they are 765x760x383 @ 49 kg

5. distrot

distrot

Mar 26, 2007
    i want the lemmy 4x15 size

6. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi distrot.

I've been looking around as well and can't find any details on L.K.'s 4x15" cab. :meh:

You may wish to contact Marshall.

7. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    Can't help with dimensions but any thread about Murder One needs some pics! :cool:

StreamImage.

8. distrot

distrot

Mar 26, 2007
    I've even been looking in vintage marshall forums...its weird

9. boamedt

boamedt Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    now thats bad!!
    if i ever make a cab that 4x15 would be it

10. zuokinis

zuokinis

Feb 5, 2009
    London, UK
    Can you get to the knobs without a cherry picker?

11. distrot

distrot

Mar 26, 2007
    this is actually my plan...haha

12. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

I like how it makes the 4X12 look kinda small.

13. distrot

distrot

Mar 26, 2007
    marshall wont respond to me haha....does nobody own this cab?

14. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    I'll look around for ya.
    Jack Bruce used those cabs in the early 70's with West Bruce & Laing. He used two complete stacks (4 cabs) with two 200W Marshall Major heads.
    Trevor Boulder also used them with Bowie/Spiders in the early 70's.
    Here's Jack using them:
    WBLb_34.

15. distrot

distrot

Mar 26, 2007
    thanks dude

16. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    Still looking.
    A regular Marshall 4x12 is 30x30x14.
    Looking at the Lemmy limited edition it looks like it's got the same margin around the drivers it'll be close to 36x36x?

BTW, HIWATT had a very similar square 4x15 in the late 60's. Entwistle used them at Isle Of Wight and also (I think) at Woodstock. He had a HIWATT arrangement similar to Lemmy's Marshall - 4x12 cabs on top of 4x15 cabs with 100W tube heads. That's the Live AT Leeds rig - P-bass/HIWATT - my favorite Entwistle tone.

17. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
  18. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    Distrot, what you need to do is figure out ported or sealed, select the driver you want to use in the cab, then punch the specs into WinISD and figure out the size of the cabinet per driver. You can make the cab's outside dimension 36" pretty easily with 15's and then make the depth whatever it takes to get the volume.

If the cabinet is going to be sealed, I'd put each driver in its own divided section. With 8 ohm drivers you'll need to probably use a pair of amps to drive two speakers each in parallel... Unless you can find 16 ohm drivers.

I have also been considering a project just like this.

Just duplicating the Marshall would be a mistake with modern drivers, it should take just a little more science to do it right. BOB

19. distrot

distrot

Mar 26, 2007
    yeh bob
    i've used win isd, is there a speaker you would recommend?

I also am having trouble figuring out the dimensions once I have the volume, because I need roughly 36 inches for both length and height, this leaves little to no depth left to get the volume
    (i've been using eminence kappa's as my reference)
    can I go over the volume?

20. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    Oh you are talking about the depth left in a fixed amount in the WinISD program... Its been a couple months since I've been in the program.

YOU CAN get by with using a larger width - height maintaining the same volume. Or just go with the manufacturers recommended volume figures.

How about a basslite C2515, they are Neo, $115 each, 1.6-2.9 cubic foot in a sealed enclosure. Just do one cab of the 4 cab set.

Here' lets do this with a sliderule (calc in windows) somebody wack my PP if I'm off base.

Depending on how much internal stuff you do and how far you set the baffle back from the front will determine the depth. Lets just start in the middle with 2 cf...

36" outside square 3/4" plywood. 3/4" X divider in the middle separating the speakers... 3/4" speaker baffle. It will be heavy.

If you only use the plywood itself to make the box I got 16.875" sq per speaker enclosure, 1' deep that would be 1.97 cubic feet. A little below the 2 Cubic foot we were shooting for once you remove the volume of the driver. 381cc.

The inside dimension of an AMPEG cab is 1' deep with a 16" outside with the baffle sitting back... Let me go measure my disassembled one BRB, HA. 2.125"

With this cab if you make the depth 1" deeper inside you make up for the volume of the driver. If you wanted to get closer to the 2.9cf maximum you could add a couple inches to the depth of the cab. 18" deep inside is almost right at 2.9 including the driver.

Or 18 plus 2.125 plus .75 or 20.875" deep total cab depth. Very doable with two 4X8 sheets of plywood.

The C2515's 4 ohm impedance would be alright for a series parallel setup and its 1200Watt power rating is reachable with reasonable amplifiers.

I will probably be doing a similar setup but going with higher power Beyma drivers.

So punch in the TS properties of that driver with 16.875 x 16.875 and 18" deep and see what that cab looks like. I bet its OK... Send me the file when you are done to my email address please. rbonner@QRO.COM

SEMPER AMPLIO
    BOB