1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

McCartney's 4001

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ric5, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Paul McCartney got a fireglo 4001s from Rickenbacker in the mid 60s. About the time of Magical Mystery Tour it got a hippie paint job.

Zricbass2.jpg

Then in the 70s it got sanded down and it got a new bridge pickup from Rickenbacker.

11085192.jpg

I have heard many stories about how rough the sanding job was on the Rickenbacker.

Well here is a photo captured from a 1984 video of Paul playing the 4001 in a music video. Look at how rough the fretboard is. I looks like a cave man took of the finish.

pr.jpg

2. chef wong

chef wong Banned

Sep 15, 2012
    Ohio
    He's the king of bass tone.

3. The first picture just became my iPad wallpaper.

The fretboard photo. How could that happen? Must've been sanded during a sugar cube get together.

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Ya I hear the whole bass was sanded down that way ... The sanding strokes were in all directions without reguard to the direction of the wood grain.

5. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    There's a couple of stories about the psychedelic paint job, some say he and George got together and painted their axes up under the influence, others say it was done by a professional group of cutting edge Dutch designers called "The Fool".

6. TDSLaBassiste

TDSLaBassiste Bass drops and breakdowns since 2009

Jul 8, 2011
    Southwest Florida
    Any good shots of this crazy paint job he did? I'm curious.

7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Paul painted it himself. He also sanded it down himself, deforming the upper horn in the process. Rickenbacker replaced his horseshoe ( which was dead and unused for years), fixed some electrical issues and cleaned it for him. They were given specific instructions not to touch the action, which was very high. I got this information from 2 of the people working at Ric who were involved with the repair.

8. interesting

Attached Files:

nixdad likes this.
  9. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    Paul painted the Rickenbacker during the Sgt. Pepper's sessions.
    He didn't sanded it on his own, he asked a luthier to do it. The luthier first sanded just the paint. Later on he asked for some modifications on his bass: add a 0-fret to correct intonation problems, replacement of the horseshoe pickup and get the horns and the upper side of the body sanded down for a more ergonomic feel.

Paul during the Sgt. Pepper's session:
    [​IMG]

Here you can see that the paint was off, but the horns and the pickups are still there and no 0-fret:
    [​IMG]

The bass, now with all the modifications (posted only the link because the picture is too big):
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...rtney_with_Jimmy_McCulloch_-_Wings_-_1976.jpg

10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Here's a shot of his 4001 with the fireglo finish gone but not all rounded

110551.jpg

Here's another shot of the hippie paint job.

[​IMG]

11. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Where did you get the information that a luthier did the sanding?

12. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    I read somewhere a long time ago, but aparently he really did the first strip-off on his own.
    Thank you for the correction.

13. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Jul 30, 2012
    Man, he should have kept the psychedelic paint job! It was cool.

14. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    Not long after he got the bass, he already broke the pickguard:
    [​IMG]

15. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    Another look on the Ric before any mod:
    tumblr_lk4q92eiRg1qdajm7o1_500.jpg

16. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    So much prettier before all of the unnecessary refins...

17. From http://www.macca-central.com/macca-archives/bassplayer.htm

"Around the time that the group recorded Magical Mystery Tour (April-December 1967), Paul's Rickenbacker got a psychedelic paint job take a close look in the film and you'll see the hippy-dippy colors. "Yep, I got out the old aerosols, Paul confirms. "We were all doing that: George did his guitar, and we did the cars. If you did the cars, you might as well do your guitars. It looked great. It was just 'cause we were tripping that what it was, man. Look at your guitar and you trip even more."

Arnquist is a friend, he's in Seattle and I'm north of. He's got great stories about his years at Rickenbacker; it was cool to hear first hand his recollections of working on Paul's 4001S, along with many other tales. Mark's a great guy and incredibly talented luthier. People from all around the world send their Rick's to him for repairs and mods. Mark has worked on a couple of my Rick basses.

18. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Rob that's some cool info I would love to talk to Mark I'm back and forth about pulling the trigger on a Ric I know it's a bass I will eventually own

19. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Mark is a hell of a nice guy and has a lot of great stories. He built the original 2 string bass for Chris from POTUSA incidentally. He also has some cool stories about Cobain, Jerry Cantrell and other notable Seattle guys. He is also very willing to give valuable information regarding set-ups and other stuff. Just an all around nice guy.