1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Megadeth or Metallica?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Zitch, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Megadeth

33 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Metallica

22 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. Zitch

Zitch

May 12, 2010
    Akron, Oh
    For fun to see which the Metalheads prefer.

2. TomA1234

TomA1234

Jul 27, 2009
    Fareham, England
    As they are the entire reason that I got into music in the first place, Metallica by default.

3. Same basic thing and era.

4. Even now, the mention of Metallica make me think:

On saying that, they're the better choice of the two.

SanDiegoHarry likes this.
  5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Megadeth.

/\/\3phist0 and NiteFury like this.
  6. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Since Justice I haven't been a fan of Metallica, while Megadeth still makes decent music. No brainer for me.

Syxz_ML likes this.
  7. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Metallica was the best up until load. They are a shadow of what they were, playing some really weak music whereas megadeth stumbled with a cpl crap albums but got it back on track and smoke what Metallica does now

8. Eric66

Eric66

Sep 23, 2013
    The Netherlands
    Stupid poll. Love them both for what they are....

9. ImNotJoel

ImNotJoel

Jan 12, 2014
    Connecticut
    I am in between it depends on my mood. I like megadeths guitar work and drums better than Metallica. I will say it I am not into Kirk Hammet his solos are same structure my favorite solo from Metallica is nothing else matters which hetfield plays.

How ever the bass work is better with Metallica in my opinion. Also the vocal melodies hook better for me.

Career wise Metallica was cool until load and reload they peaked and fell. Megadeth besides one album I forget the name but they have been much more consistent than Metallica.

If I had to listen to one of the bands whole discography then I vote megadeth. If I had to pick a handful of classics then I vote megadeth.

Today I think megadeth is the better band but I think Metallica peaked higher in the past.

10. maves75

maves75

Dec 13, 2013
    Freeport Illinois
    Both have albums I don't count in my favorites. Both have songs I love. Tuff for me to vote this one.

11. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    Megadeth if I have to pick.
    I like Lars but despise Hetfield.
    I think metallica has slightly better material, but Megadeth is more versatile.

12. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I love both bands, but at the end of the day, I'd probably take Metallica. With that said, I'm going to say something sacrilegious: I'll take Ellefson over Burton any day.

13. Zitch

Zitch

May 12, 2010
    Akron, Oh
    for the record if it was a stupid poll people wouldnt vote, thanks for your opinion.

14. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Why either/or? I'm with a lot of guys who say on the surface of simply choosing one on their entire body of work, I'd likely lean more Megadeth. If I were making a list of my favorite 100 metal songs (All metal bands included) Metallica may have more in there than Megedeth. I understand the issues at the heart of all the stuff with Napster, but it kinda left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.

15. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    I think Megadeth are more technically sound. At the same time, Dave Mustaine's vocals are an acquired taste. I think Lars' best skill is making faces.

Immigrant and nukes_da_bass like this.
  16. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Carrots. Also, music threads go in Miscellaneous.

17. Zitch

Zitch

May 12, 2010
    Akron, Oh
    well i was curious since Dave was a founding member of Metallica before he was thrown out. I was a metallica fan back when i didnt know much about anything , but now as an adult and know a little more about life i hardly ever listen to Metallica and am really into Megadeths music and message more, he calls it like it is and has stayed true from the beginning.

18. ggoat!!!

ggoat!!! Banned

Apr 6, 2008
    Lousy-Anna
    Metallica up until Justice.

Megadeth up until Rust in Piece.

Everything else ranges from pure ass suckage to a mere shadow of their past works.

And, anyone defending Megadeth as the LESSER sell-out, all you have to do is listen to the ORIGINAL release of "Risk." Metallica got horribly bad, but they never got NEARLY as sh*t-bound as "Risk."

Regarding actual live ability, Megadeth blows away current Metallica...James' feminine yodeling is diarrhea-inducing, Lars is completely useless and doesn't even pretend to try, and Kirk plays like he's had multiple strokes and that he's trying to flick bird poop off his fingers when he solos.

joebar likes this.
  19. Definitely

Definitely Banned

Metallica released three great records, a fourth that was mediocre, and then sold out and went to crap.

Megadeth released four great records, a fifth that was mediocre, and then went to crap as well, more or less.

I love Kill 'Em All and MOP, but overall, Megadeth stuck with the thrash roots much better than Metallica did, and Peace Sells and RIP are two of my favourites, so my vote has to be old Megadeth. Their drummers didn't absolutely suck either.

Also; Lulu.