Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa 400+!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hurezeanu, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Hurezeanu

Hurezeanu

May 13, 2005
    Hey Everyone,

First of all let me say that I bouht the bass 400+ around the beginning of September, and I must say
    I have never been more satisfied with a Bass amplifier, this ampflifier is definitely the exact sound I was looking for! It is an absolute beauty.

I run my Mesa through a David Eden 8x10, and I have to say I am extremely satisfied with its sound, but just out of curiosity, I was wondering what kind of speaker cabinet (Mesa cabs or otherwsie?) people might suggest to better bring out the sound of the 400+?

any help would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks alot and Take Care.

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I dont know much about how Eden cabinets are voiced. Mesa/Boogie cabs work great with my 400... brings out the full qualities of its sound. My main rig includes a Powerhouse 4x10 which puts a halo around my sound. I've also used it on some occasions with a Mesa Diesel 1x15, which produced a nice dark tube sound but not quite as shimmering.

I also use a SWR Goliath cab with it (in combination) and it seems to restrict quite a bit of the 400's tonal qualities, but works punchy wonders when combined with a Powerhouse. Ive never had such an interesting sound as with this mixed up setup.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I use mine with a Bergantion NV610 and it is a match made in heaven.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I use mine with a Schroeder 1212 and have no complaints...neither has anyone who's heard it, played it or done sound for me.

5. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Older Boogie cabs like the Diesel series go great with the 400+, but I'd love to try it with a Berg NV series cab. Some of the Diesel cabs had Eden speakers, so I'd imagine your 810 is about perfect. Of course you have another 4 ohms you can add if you think you need to.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I own two of the older MB Diesel cabs (4x10 and Powerhouse, Jr.), but the cab that really gets my Bass 400 (not +) going is my Bergantino NV215. I think that depending on your sonic/musical preferences, one of the NV series cabs is your best bet.

Tom.

7. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    If that's the case stop looking and start practicing!

I would try out the Powerhouse 1000 if your not satisfied but you to be............

8. I run mine through and Ampeg 8x10. And the more I play it the more I'm starting to not like tweeters in cabs.

9. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Rock n Roll don't need no stinkin tweeters.

10. Right on brother!

11. Hurezeanu

Hurezeanu

May 13, 2005
    I've always heard alot of good things about Bergantino cabs, can anyone give me some more information or history on this company?

I checked their main website, and it only has information on the product lines?

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    You can probably just e-mail or call Jim Bergantino directly for such information. He is a really nice guy to talk to, and I guarantee you that you will learn something (above and beyond knowledge of his products) from every conversation! :)

13. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    how much power do these 400+ amps put out??

i've seen alot of them and always wondered

14. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    ~300 watts from memory. 12 6l6's in the power section.

I'm gassing for a Bergie NV for the Trace V8. I'll be getting a new bass first, but I'm looking for a really fat aggressive sound (think Timmy C, Evil Empire). The Schroeder does wonderfully, but then again, now that I have my panelvan... There IS a lot more room in the back to spare :p

15. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    ampeg 610hlf. sounds awesome.

this weekend was the first time i played with the amp without the sans amp.

well, i should say after i tuned up, i forgot to click the pedal on and i played for a few songs without it on and i never realized how well it mixes with heavy guitars. tho, when i realized it was off, i switched it back on.

i really wanna try my set up through a mesa powerhouse 1000

16. Congrats on the 400+

It was my choice for all tube amp, but I ended up with an Aguilar DB750.

I've played(not owned) a 400+ through a Aguilar GS412 and it was simple amazing. It was one of the BIGGEST sounding rigs I've ever heard. I've also heard a 400+ through a Bergantino NV610. That was great also.
    I'm only recomending those cabs because I see your currently with a 810.

17. Kristopher

Kristopher

Mar 13, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    I've been gassing for a mesa 400+ for a few weeks now. I wonder if anyone has tried it with an svt 410hlf (tweeter off, of course).

18. I have an Aggie 4x12 and thinking of getting a 400t. So, it was that good sounding? Can you tell me more?
    Are the e-bay pricings at about $850 about right for a 400t?

Dave

19. I don't want to use any cliche words, so I'll just stick by my "huge sounding" description. It was very full sounding, very rounded. See, those words mean nothing, everyone has their own "huge" and "Full".

$850 on the bay is about right as far as I've seen. Most in that range are in perfect shape. Some even have been
    re-tubed.