1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa 8x10 vs. Ampeg 8x10 (for Rock)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bchamorro, Sep 13, 2008.

1. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    The time has come. I am in need of an 8x10 cab. I can't go to the store and try one because there are currently none available in my country.

Ampeg SVT810E
    SVT-810E_LG.

Mesa 8x10 Powerhouse
    [​IMG]

Amps that will be used with these cabs:
    Mesa Boogie Big Block 750 (this is my main amp)
    Gallien-Krueger 2001RB
    Ampeg SVT-4 PRO

Basses:
    Stingray 5 HH
    Sadowsky Metro 5 string

Genre I play: Rock, metal, alternative rock, hard rock, prog rock.
    Alter Bridge, Pink Floyd, Tool, Porcupine Tree, etc...

And finally... NO BUDGET.
    Which is the right cab for me?

PawleeP likes this.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Both are great cabs. But if I were buying today, I'd get the Mesa. It's ported, has a tweeter (not that I'd use it but it's a selling point for some), and it will work at 8 ohms as well as 4. But I'd take an old straightback SVT cab from the 70's over anything ;)

3. marshmallow83

marshmallow83

Oct 6, 2007
    I'd pick the Mesa. It has a tweeter (I personally wouldn't use it, but you might), it's built like a tank, and would better with your 750 than the Ampeg (I know, look isn't the important thing, bla bla bla, but a bit of coordination couldn't hurt)

4. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    I forgot to mention that I will be buying new.

5. The Ampeg just seems more classy. But the Mesa does have a tweeter. Tough one.

6. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    IMO, this model looks just as classy as the ampeg (maybe moreso IMO ;)). This is the vintage powerhouse model. Same specs, just different cover materials.

[​IMG]

I faced this problem recently. I did go with the mesa (I got the one I pictured). Only downside to Mesa (really an upside though) is that when you order it new, they build it for you so there is a few weeks of waiting...

7. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Between those two, I'd go with the Mesa. Even though I am a big fan of Ampeg, I couldn't spend that kind of money for an Asian made cabinet. Besides, that Mesa cab just looks tough.

8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I've owned an Ampeg 810 in the past, and currently own a Mesa Vintage Powerhouse 810 (identical to what Visirale posted above). If price isn't a concern, I'd go with the Mesa, hands down. IMHO, it's just a better sounding, better built cabinet.

Nothing against Ampegs---I've made a lot of money in the past using Ampeg for years, and gotten great sound out of them. But the Mesa 810 is just a superior cabinet, IMO. YMMV, of course.

PawleeP likes this.
  9. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    I've never played a Mesa. The Ampegs are nice, but the 800 watt handling scares me, considering my head is 700 watts.

10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

700 watts into an 800 watt cabinet is just fine.

11. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
    Right as usual - but those straightbacks are too hard to find - get an NV610:D

12. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    i have owned both the ampeg 810 (one of the last US made, nice birch contruction) as well as the mesa 610 and i'd say mesa hands down. i found the ampeg to be muddy and not handle a lot of power. the mesa was a really nice sounding cab and could really crank out the sound, but i found it a bit loose/boomy sounding in the low end and lacking focus so i eventually sold it.

i now own a berg nv610 which i much prefer to either of them FWIW.

JR

13. Mesa, if only for their quality of workmanship.

14. calebbarton

calebbarton

Aug 25, 2007
    Oregon
    I manufacture for several companies including but not limited to: Bridge City Sound, Catalinbread, more.
    yeah i had an ampeg 810 and i sold it for something smaller. if size isint an issue and if you have money to spare get the mesa. the ampeg in my opinion sounds better at higher volumes. the mesa seems to be punchy at low and high volumes.

15. i think there is an overwhelming amount of people saying Mesa, I think you have your answer. The Mesa looks like a tank, I say get it, I've always liked the looks of Mesa cabs

16. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
  17. Mr.Bassie720

Mr.Bassie720

Feb 5, 2005
    Washington DC,Silver Spring,MD
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Boogie on. I too have had both the ampeg and the Mesa and the Mesa is just better in every respect. On a separate note I grew up in Granada, Nicaragua before the Sandinistas and have not been there since. Is it still as beautiful as I remember?

18. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
  19. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    If you want any low end response at all, get the Mesa.

If you want your bass to sound a like it's being played through a thumpy, midrangey, ultra-compressed, 1960's transistor radio, get the Ampeg.