1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa Boogie Walkabout Mega-thread Part 10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Nov 7, 2013.

1. At one stage I had TWO Walkabouts. I can't see why ppl that need the sound of the original WA don't simply do this, slave one into the other.
    It ain't as tho they're heavy or large and a problem to move.
    That has always muddled me

2. and then slave that one back into the first one?

Like a never ending circle of slavery?

Did you have the 4ohm or the 8ohm?

What about extension cabs?

3. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    That's what Ben Kenney did with Incubus at one point...
    full.

4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    That's one way some have overcome this, but that's quite a bit larger and heavier than a single WD-800 and for many players, it is understandably a big deal.

two fingers, rodl2005 and Phyzzbin like this.
  5. TuneMan

TuneMan Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Oakland, CA
    backline tech - Mesa Boogie, Aguilar.
    I worked with the Icelandic band, Sigur Ros, and this is what they were using....I only see one pilot light on........

OSL 2012 Sigur Ros Walkabouts.

6. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I would guess their stage volume is not that loud, but when I saw them the FOH sound was LOUD (and massive).

7. TuneMan

Nov 19, 2016
    Oakland, CA
    This was a big festival stage, and they had a huge group, but their stage volume was very controlled, a refreshing change from some acts....

Jeff Moote and Element Zero like this.
  8. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I got the impression their stage setup and sound was very refined. The venue was a fairly small theatre and the FOH was almost too much, but it was controlled enough that I could tell the only way they were keeping it so would be to have it well controlled on stage. Same bass rig when I saw them - a couple of Walkabout combos.

9. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Always loved that cab design treatment

10. Phyzzbin

Phyzzbin

Aug 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Dude, that just looks so sweet! OMG! drool

11. You lucky..... I like that band a lot.

12. Oh, I know that, but still, 13lbs.. to get THAT tone and volume... seems a no brainer to me if you want that ORIGINAL WA tone and feel... easy peasy!

markmck79 likes this.
  13. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I had twin Walkabouts too for a year or so, which was no biggie- it was the two cabs that was the annoying aspect to me. I’ve been a one-trip single cab user for so long that the idea of two or three trips at a show was too much trouble for the pay-off. If I had roadies then I’d probably just have a couple Mesa 400+ instead!

rodl2005 likes this.
  14. This is a great point that doesn’t seem to be talked about much - bass cabs have changed a fair bit over the years in terms of design goals.
    I used to have an active early 80s bass - the preamp was designed to sound good with a tweeterless cab with not that much low end extension... plugged in via DI to feed my IEM and the FOC the preamp was more or less useless as the freq points were just wrong!

agedhorse likes this.
  15. Sorry for the double post - my wee daughter gives me more time to write now...

I guess when it comes to cabs there’s plenty of cabs that should give enough output from 300w - but I bet they will tend to be bigger, heavier and at least 20years old. My guess is they will have a lower power rating than most the newer cabs you see now, and not try for such a big bottom end. The only recent cabs that I can think of that might pair well is that genz Benz focus range... but I’m only guessing that off of the lower rating they had.
    In an ideal world there would be a equivalent speaker diy design as greenboys fearful range but with more sensitivity and less bottom.

16. Did you ask them about why only the one pilot light was on?
    I think I might have done - if I was working for them and all . . .

17. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Only one has a line plugged into it.

Caca de Kick likes this.
  18. TuneMan

Nov 19, 2016
    Oakland, CA
    Not my dept. I assumed that one amp was a back up, though I would have had it powered up. The band crew were a bunch of road hardened guys from the UK who were not in the mood for questions........and they were too busy telling me to be careful with their one of a kind guitar amp ("One of one," they said). The rest of the guitar amps were definitely not one of a kind....

Audio Kitchen. Sigur Ros DeVilles.

19. That's an Audio Kitchen 'Big Chopper'.
    Not really one of a kind, but pretty bespoke nevertheless.

Audio Kitchen » Big Chopper

20. Doodaddy

Doodaddy Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    Thank you! Love the cabs and loved the Walkabout on them. I'm hoping to find myself there with the WD-800 too.

Phyzzbin likes this.