1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Boogie Walkabout Mega-thread Part 10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Nov 7, 2013.

1. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Yeah, me too. I guess maybe I won't grab a used 600 to have a go at.........

2. Thank you! Yes, it's a Decade, unfortunately Lakland doesn't make them with these pup's anymore.

The WA & SL setup was very nice! Amazing light and powerfull enough (for me). I did trade the SL's for a pair of Baer ML-112's, just because I had the opportunity. I haven't paired the WA with the ML's yet, but I will soon. Need to modify the WA first. It's a 110v model, but it's a pain to bring a powerconvertor (which weighs more than the WA) everytime I use the WA.

3. Man, what a beautiful bass—I've never seen one before. Looks like I have a new item for my GAS list. ;)

I have a Scout and a 12" extension cab built by a TBer that looks just like a Mesa but doesn't have the horn or radiator so it's much lighter, but I've been considering a pair of SLs for an even lighter rig. I need to go down to Guitar Center and give that combo a listen.

4. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    I'll tell you from my (recent) personal experience - adding that 2nd Scout cab made a believer out of me. :thumbup:

5. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    I have not tried to get the WA tone in my MP600 yet..
    I have not had the two amps together long enough.. But i will :eek::)
    But from gigging th etwo of them i really think they are more similar than they are different.. There is a difference for sure. But i never did a side by side per say.

I did a larger one off last week with a 112 and the WA and Full FOH.. I was able to wind up the WA at its 165 watts and get it to do its thing without blowing the roof off, let the FOH do its thing...
    Im trying to change my stubborn self into using a lower powered amp and make it work some instead of having tons of headroom.. Its experimental... It sort of makes playing a little more effortless.. But im so set in my ways of High Headroom.. its still weird to me.... If any of that makes sense.. But that way i do get that little bitty hairy edge that you talk about.. and the WA does it so good..

6. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    With my limited experience with the WA > only had it a few weeks... it seems a bit warmer than my MP600.. NO Para running on either .. just the BMT controls.
    I feel that the WA input gain is a little more easy to find the edge of the tube breakup,,, on my MP600 if i go from 12:00 to 1:00 its a world of difference within that area where my WA seems to transition slower and i cab get the input up to 2 or 2:30.. So there seems to be more steps of gooeyness in between 12 and 2:30 on the WA... Where on my MP 2:30 is a little to grindy for my taste... ..
    The earlier breakup the MP600 may be the tubes???

I do like the DI on the MP600. I dont use the compressor much BUT it sure is the best built in compressor that i have played.

7. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    IME the breadth of the breakup is something that is significantly variable between tubes in my Walkabout. Some go from clean to filthy in 5 degrees of rotation and others give me 10-15 degrees of different flavors. In contrast, tube rolling in my M9 was a waste of time. Front end of the Walkabout=my all-time favorite.

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Mine too. Heh.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Me 3. I have also done the side by side WA vs MP600 test, with the exact same results. Never could put my finger on it, but the MP600 just never did measure up to what I hear in the WA. Greatest little bass amp ever made.

10. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Has anyone A/B'ed the Walkabout and the Thunderfunk? The newest Thunderfunk which adds a tube would be more vintagey, but I doubt there are many out there yet. Absolutely love my Walkabout, but I'm looking for something close when I need "more".

11. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Rumor has it Mesa is thinking about moving forward on a higher powered Walkabout.

I sure hope they do.

12. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Isn't that the same rumor that's been floating around for years, with nothing actually coming of it yet? Or is this a new rumor?

Liam

13. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    new ;)

14. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Now THAT'S what I wanna hear! :D

Liam

15. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Then I'll hold off. Love the Walkabout sound.

16. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    If it's something you need "soon" I wouldn't hold your breath; things take time.

17. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    In general, fast food isn't good and good food isn't fast.........

18. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Great line.:D

19. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Sign me up for a Walkabout 9!

20. A favorite of mine is, "You either have it right, or you can have it right now, but you can't have both. ;)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 19, 2021