1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Boogie Walkabout Mega-thread Part 10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Nov 7, 2013.

1. corsa

corsa Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Fort Wright, KY
    Update on my buzzing situation -

I took the speaker out of the cab and had my wife play the bass while I held the speaker in my hands. There was an odd sound that appeared to come from the cone surround. When I set the speaker in the cab, this sound became the buzzing that I've been hearing. With the speaker out in the air, it took a bit more volume to produce the noise but it was definitely there. I'm guessing the increased air pressure with the speaker in the cab amplified the problem.

I called Mesa and they've been great. They're going to warranty the speaker and are sending me the new one (4ohm) with the understanding that I will ship back the old one within 30 days of the new one arriving. They asked me to pay for shipping which I thought was more than fair.

Thanks for the advice and the info on the 4 vs 8 ohm comparisons.

2. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    The MESA customer service is absolutely outstanding.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 True story. :cool:

4. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    I found a great use for the Walkabout.. As a Tube DI.. WOW.. I was in a session yesterday and ran the DI out only .. no speaker... Tweakable phat big tube compression .. Its a great DI too

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Yessir, it is

6. coyoteboy

coyoteboy Bongo destroys villages and does my laundry

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1384638657.885429.jpg

In!

7. TC5

TC5

Aug 28, 2007
    Interesting combination with the Phil Jones cab. How do they sound together? (especially in comparison with the scout cab)

I tested last week a Phil Jones Super Flightcase. Sounded very clean and smooth as expected but I found the low end lacking somewhat. Not sure if that is due to the amp or cab.

8. coyoteboy

coyoteboy Bongo destroys villages and does my laundry

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    The low end feels different with the Phil Jones. Theres less 'woof'. Heard more than felt, like a good set of phones, IMO. I actually like that treatment, especially if im playing with acoustic instruments, seems to blend better and draw less attention to the bass' electricness.

I cant compare with the Scout cabs, never played one.

His was my first gig with the WA, and although the venue, a cement box, was troublesome, i liked what was going on with the WA, and i look forward to recording with it. BTW, this is all with an NS eub, ymmv.

9. +1!

I love both live and studio recording using the WAs DI. Very natural and smooth sounding.

10. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Very cool to hear about WA application in settings other than rock, blues, etc. I wish I could remember the name, but I recall reading a Downbeat interview with (and then checking out some recordings by) a jazz guitarist who uses a Scout 15" combo with his classic, hollowbody archtop guitar with stellar results.

11. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Just bumping my question from page 3... been a little quiet on the WAMT for a few days. Hope everyone's out gigging those WalkAbouts!

Regarding the horn controls on the back of the Scout cabs: the older of the two has a knob for adjusting + or - 2db, the newer one also has a rocker switch for "sheen" or "bright"... these knobs I would assume are passive? What about the switches? Is there any advantage to using these features over (or before) the WA eq section?

12. They're there to alow different voicings should you need them. If you can get what you want out of the Scout with just EQ then you're all set. Yes, they are passive. They are just multipul crossover points for the tweeter at different frequencies. The switch along with the level attenuator can really change the way the Scout cab sounds.

I personally like a little extra zip on the tweeter for slap stuff so I run my attenuator all the way up. No matter what you have those settings at, the Scout cabs always have that thick rich low end.

13. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Docked my WalkAbout in a newer Scout cab yesterday evening...

Lately, been experimenting with the cabinet horn settings, and the older of the two didn't have the same adjustment features. Initially, I cant see a big difference. (though I do like the newer cab better asthetically)

Got a rehearsal for a Christmas concert this evening in a fairly large sanctuary, so I'm making a trial run using the two Scout cabs opposite the way I have been, hoping to tell more difference at higher gain outside my practice room, and with a drummer pounding away next to me. Might try setting them a few feet apart too, since footprint won't be an issue.

14. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Looking at maui-san's profile, that would be the "2006 Lakland Decade w/ Darkstars"

And, the SL112s are now on his "previously owned" gear list...apparently being replaced by a pair of Baer ML-112s (or Ampeg 210AVs).

15. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    I want to get a single 12 walkabouts extension speaker cab. Tonally, I think the walkabout may be the finest sounding bass amp I have ever played

16. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Welcome to the club. Once bitten........:D:bassist::p

17. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I have not done a side by side tone comparison of the mp600 and Walkabout, although I know I can get what I dig in the Walkabout from a BB750 or Titan (which are larger and heavier than I'm willing to deal with for my amateur needs). Have you tried to get Walkabout sound out of the mp600? I realize that the term "Walkabout tone" means different things to different ears, but I'm curious as to your ears' impression. I generally adjust my WA to have mild/early tube grind.....

18. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I had both for a while, and while I did like the MP600 quite a bit - for its greater headroom, solo feature, pre/post DI, nice compressor - I could not get it to match the Walkabout tone close enough to make it stick. My basic attempt was to just match all settings on both amps (MP600 compressor off, ignore the additional semi para eq band), through the same cab (at the time I had 2 WA 12's). Just not the same thing at all. After that, I tried some knob twisting and my ears - got close(er), but still no cigar. Even put the WA fx-out into the MP600 fx-in and did not get "a louder" WA tone. Kinda stumped me.

Hard to say why they do not sound just like each other, both share the Mesa tube driven mosfet thing and the same basic tone stack. IMO/IME the MP600 will get close, but it just does not have the same tube/warm character that the WA delivers.

In the end, the WA stayed (of course) and the MP600 went.
    no regrets at all.
    So it goes.

19. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Yeah, Chef posted the same experience. How/where do you set your WA gain?

20. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    just a touch past 12:00. tube compression, touch of growl if I dig in (light touch player) - but no overt grind/buzz

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 23, 2021