Mesa Next-Gen Walkabout Scout

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RichSnyder, Jun 10, 2021.

1. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    This is 100% hypothetical, I have no knowledge of a next-gen Scout and this is more wishing out loud than anything. In fact, from a financial standpoint I probably would never approve a next-gen walkabout combo. A head and cab are close enough for 90% of the players that might be interested. But if it were to happen, play along in my wishful thinking land, would it have to be based on a WD-800 or would a D-800 be good enough? Would you want a 112 or a 115? A 112 is more compact but a 115 now is almost as light as the old 112 cab. Would you want the controls top facing as on the original? That's perfect for when just the combo's speaker is used, but awkward to read / adjust when you sit it on top of another cab.

Again, just a thought experiment. With the 2 ohm switch, the heads seem more ideal for a cab because you can limit the power sent to the internal speaker. But I guess the 112 can handle 400W, so maybe that isn't needed.

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The challenge in a combo format is keeping the mechanical power handling adequate for 400 watts RMS into 8 ohms.

Things tend to grow larger than the currently acceptable size of the format, and this kind of combo would be very expensive made in the US.

Perhaps revisiting this at 150-200 watts into 8 ohms (like the Walkabout) might be viable however.

I’m always open to opinions and suggestions.

3. donhank

donhank Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2016
    Denton, TX
    My own personal wish list . . . voiced as closely as possible to my WA scout 12, but with 200 watts to the internal speaker; fixed HPF; no graphic; no loop; switchable pre/post direct out; speakon connector for an extension cab; handle on top for one-hand carry. 35 pounds. $1000 retail.

4. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    200W would be plenty for a combo. Especially if an extension cab was a possibility on the rare opportunity that I needed more. I played a Walkabout in an NFL stadium with an extension cab. Granted, an empty stadium then, but it worked and the for real performance was direct with just monitoring for myself.

AEEB4C88-C5CF-4DC3-ABF4-6654C83041C3.jpeg

5. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Funny you mentioned that because I've used my WA Scout 112 on numerous occasions for huge (festival type) outdoor gigs as a stage monitor with a DI out to FOH. It always worked perfectly for me. In none of those situations was I even close to maxing out the combo.

Admittedly we were on a stage trailer with a cover and back, but with my smaller bass rig and acoustic drums (that were mic'ed for FOH) the stage levels were more than sufficiently loud enough. Guitars, keys, and vocals were fed back in the monitors and allowed us to have an excellent stage mix. Of course, quality pro sound gear and experienced techs are essential to make all that possible

6. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    East Bay, N. Ca.
    How about an internally powered cabinet that accepts different preamp cartridges.

Iristone, Haroldo, Novarocker and 6 others like this.
  7. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    The D-800 set flat and the Voicing knob turned down is pretty flat, and I agree that a monitor for a preamp on your pedalboard is a perfect use case for a combo now compared to when the original Walkabout was released. Maybe the D-800 would be a better choice for a combo than even the WD-800? At an appropriate power, of course. I think the D-800+ sounds great and you never have to worry about tubes dying. Turn up the voicing knob and you get a lot of the tube character.

8. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    That is a super cool idea. There are some aspects of the sounds head to head that likely rely a bit on how the power amp and pre amp interface/interact with each other, but there might be work arounds there that could get you 90+% close to the various voicings.

packhowitzer, Datsgor and agedhorse like this.
  9. ItsmeSantiago

ItsmeSantiago

Nov 23, 2015
    I was browsing the Mesa site today seeing if anything new has come out. I’m in a spot where I don’t want to gig at the rate I used to, but I still need great tone and can’t go back to inexpensive gear. Something in the 200W range in a combo would be exactly what I’d want, since I’m mainly playing small spots, lower volume rehearsals and at home.

112 or smaller would be optimal with simple controls and a balanced XLR out and I’d be set for this phase of my life.

Al Kraft and DJ Bebop like this.
  10. tonymcbony

tonymcbony

Mar 21, 2006
    I think Randall had these kind of modular preamps for guitar - don’t think they sold super well but then again it was Randall so perhaps that’s no surprise.

We also kinda have this with powered speaker cabinets - I use my helix or my Tonehammer into a 112 headrush and it does exactly what you’re talking about.

I’m so here for a Reissue of the Walkabout scout combo with more power.

Al Kraft likes this.
  11. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Since this is a thought experiment, I’d like a SW 12 type speaker cab with the 300 watt Boogie channel from the TT800 imbedded into the cab like the old school walkabout.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  12. gtirard

gtirard

Feb 22, 2020
    Paris, France
    The dream for me would be a modular approach like Quilter Bassdock cabs where you can attach the head you want.
    Let's say a 12" mesa cab where you can 'dock' any subway head?

Al Kraft and agedhorse like this.
  13. Outbush

Outbush

Nov 6, 2016
    Australia
    What about 200w with an extra line out and a self powered 200w extension cab? Oh, and 12s for me.

I’ve always been sorry I didn’t buy a Walkabout way back when...

agedhorse and Al Kraft like this.
  14. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    Hey Andy, if you send me some components i can finish the R&D: SmartSelect_20210611-064150_Chrome.jpg SmartSelect_20210611-064107_Chrome.jpg SmartSelect_20210611-064222_Chrome.jpg

BlueTalon, burgerdj, Cal68 and 32 others like this.
  15. burgerdj

burgerdj

Dec 4, 2006
    I think I’d be first in line for a D-800/210SW combo. However, my WA12 has never let me down, so it’s not going anywhere.

Maybe a selection of powered extension cabinets?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    Kevdel and agedhorse like this.
  16. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    I could be very happy with 200 watts, maybe even 100, but I'm still an old school 15 inches makes it a bass speaker guy. Less dobs and knials is better.

Max Bogosity, DJ Bebop and agedhorse like this.
  17. The only things I'd be interested are:

- Resurrecting the Carbine;
    - Having the Boogie side of the TT-800 released as a standalone unit
    - Bring back the g*dd*mn overdrive of the Titan V12

18. I'm sure the Ravens' fans loved the colors on your bass! Lol. Go Steelers!!!

Billyzoom likes this.
  19. monkeyland

monkeyland

Jul 1, 2008
    Ft Myers, Florida
    Endorsing artist: Curt Mangan Strings, JH Audio
    For my uses I would say no. The cabs are so light, while still being capable, that I don't feel any interest in going to a combo. In the past combos were desirable because they were more portable but now the loss of modularity factors into that equation much more heavily.

The other reason is logistics for my personal work flow. I frequently place a rack with a box mixer and a few other goodies in it on top of my Subway cab. This puts a ton of utility into a very small on stage footprint. A combo with front controls would be inconvenient and top controls would be impossible. Realistically it was this setup that moved me to the Subway in the first place. I was previously using an Ampeg PF-500 setup and the arrangement of the head/cab made this very inconvenient.

IMG_5998.jpg

20. I would order this right now if it was available.

Al Kraft, DJ Bebop and agedhorse like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021