Mesa Next-Gen Walkabout Scout

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RichSnyder, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Stiller rule!!! But maybe not this year. But, the last time I played (music)for the Steelers was in 1969. One other date of note, I played( music) at 3 Rivers Stadium in 1971 the day Pirates beat the Orioles in game 7 of the World Series.

Gregory H and Kipp Harrington like this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Well, if it isn't a WD head (or doesn'thave that preamp at least), it wouldn't be a Walkabout.

I own a Walkabout Scout 15" combo. It can't hang with my TT800 and Subway 115 in any measurable way.

Also, as small and lightweight as the new Mesa heads are, portability has, in essence, been tossed out as an "advantage" of a combo. Using the carry bag they come with, my head and bass go over the same shoulder.

I have adored my time on stage with Walkabout Scout stack. And, I never thought I would says this. But I've moved on and never looking back.

Novarocker, DrMole, Haroldo and 4 others like this.
  3. I’ve been wearing Bi-Focals since my last 20s and reading amp top controls, especially in poor lighting, can be a challenge.

I have a couple of Eden 320 watt 4 ohm combos with top controls. I also have a rack that could be used with my combo now that you mention it, but it never occurred to me. Mainly because of the very heavy stereo power amp in the rack.

agedhorse and DJ Bebop like this.
  4. scottm

scottm Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Virginia
    Chiming in late on this one, but man I’d love a Subway combo like the old Walkabouts.
    WD800 200 watt or more version in a 12 cab to make it portable? Sign me up!

-ScottM

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    agedhorse likes this.
  5. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Being a huge Walkabout fan ... mine is still my favorite sounding amp ... and having owned a D800+ and a WD800, I would never accept a D800 as a "new Walkabout", its not even very close IMO/IME, much more Carbine-like than Walkabout-like.

I did not read thru the whole thread but has anyone mentioned a possible "WD350/Scout" combo ?

All that being said, I am not eager for another combo personally. I find the WD800 (or even the Walkabout, depending on volume needs) driving a 1x12 or 2x12 (Berg CN112 or CN212 or NV212) to be perfectly good matches for my needs. I still have my WA combo 1x12 cab around here somewhere, but I never use it anymore.

scottm likes this.
  6. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Pretty much agree with you on all of that two fingers, other than the fact that my WA is always my first choice in my music studio/rehearsal space, so its not going anywhere. The WD800 and one or another Berg 212 cabs get nearly all the gigs, but that WA is a permanent fixture for me.

DrMole, two fingers and DJ Bebop like this.
  7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    If I recorded a lot I would be right there with you.

pfschim and DJ Bebop like this.
  8. Wow! That's awesome! I guess you've been a part of some pretty talented bands. I was in Three Rivers Stadium one time in my life. It was in October of 1982 when the Steelers played the Browns. Never been to Heinz field, yet.

9. DrDAV14

DrDAV14 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Denver, Colorado
    I had LDS build me a wedge 112 that houses my WB-800 for small needs. I'm trying different speakers in it to find the desired tone, currently using a Fiatal Pro 12FH500.

RichSnyder likes this.
  10. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    .....but the Walkout combo, even the 112 version, weighs about 50 lbs.......I'd really dig a highly functional 110 combo around 25 lbs or less. The DI would be a must, and I would want full eq and the very useful onboard, adjustable HPF.....an onboard, decent, 2 knob compressor would be the cherry on top for me (dreaming' big here), but I could do with a single speakon out and no FX loop.

Haroldo, Al Kraft and DJ Bebop like this.
  11. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

Damn, this is a tough one ! Good thread because you're challenging us. Like Al Kraft said, I played a big show once (not a stadium by any means) but the stage monitor was a Mesa WA combo and it was plenty loud AND sounded KILLER in the crowd.

My best sounding amp of all time is my Mesa M6 Carbine. I have my WA head at one studio for band practice and for recording. We all know that the WA has one of THE BEST sounding recordable D.I.'s ever.

So, as an "improvement" I'm at a loss for ideas / words at the moment.

I guess since I'm a Mesa and SWR fan and only play those two amps, I'd say a hybrid of the two would be the best. Like an SWR Super Redhead combo but maybe smaller like a 2x8, or /and 2x10 with a Walkabout head, so like a mini me.

Al Kraft likes this.
  12. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    I guess that I really just want a quality combo that is no compromise. I have one that is close, but it’s not Mesa level. The WD preamp would be sweet, but I could easily live with a D-800 based combo. Some kind of bracket that would fit on top of a SW112 would be close. Maybe a clever way to attach the cables to the bracket or the cover so that I don’t do anything stupid and forget them. In other threads, I’ve argued against this very concept. But the single unit convenience factor has more and more appeal as I realize that it’s really all the volume I’m going to need and I have little desire to play “loud”.

Novarocker, DJ Bebop and Al Kraft like this.
  13. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    When I saw this earlier today the first thought I had was what I find to be the biggest pain the neck (literally) drawback of the WA Scout combo design. Getting to the DI and checking to be sure all rear panel switches are in the right positions is not exactly a piece of cake on a dark, crowded stage...in fact it's not much easier on a well lighted, "room to spare" stage either.

Datsgor and DJ Bebop like this.
  14. Thanks Kipp, while I’m still currently in a band with a recording contract no less, and is still gigging (hard to believe at my age), truth in advertising, our high school had the best marching band in the tri-state area. Starting in 1966, each year we played a Steeler halftime show. Out 1968 show was one of the last halftime shows to have been broadcasted in it’s entirety coast to coast. 1969 was the last one we played.

The show in 1971 was a regional marching band festival and the band came in second place behind Central Catholic. But since we had dancing girls, and Central Catholic was an all boys school, our dancing ensemble came in first.

My opinion was central Catholic may have had better players, but we had the best show on the field!!!

Sidebar: later that night, the Pirates flew into Pittsburgh ad went directly to the stadium and made a curtain call enroute to the dressing rooms to a standing ovation. However, forseeing the raucous celebration in the Burgh, we left town because it would become dangerous and missed all that. But, my parents stuck around a said it was pretty cool.

15. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    They made them for a couple years in the late 80's. You could by different modules and swap them in different combinations and completely change the tone of the amplifier. I played with a guy that had one back then pretty cool concept and it really worked from my experience with that one. They never caught on though.

DJ Bebop and Datsgor like this.
  16. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Duncan Convertible.jpg

DJ Bebop likes this.
  17. This is a topic that is near and dear to my heart. I’ve wanted a lighter more powerful Scout Combo for years. My bands always have PA support and I’ve had no problems gigging and recording with my Walkabout Scout for 10 years. It totally cured my GAS. But there is a few drawbacks in the live setting.

I’m now gigging this beauty.
    D252F207-6D5B-4CB9-A112-CB922074FF64.jpeg

463DADB4-9E89-47BD-9EBF-7B074F0F2A08.jpeg

I’ve never personally minded the place of the amp in the combo and actually prefer it for on the fly adjustments. I find it easy to see and reach vs on the front since the combo isn't really very high. The DI being on the bottom is a little bit of a nuisance but I learned quickly how to hook it up by feel. For the odd occasion I need to flick a switch or read a jack I installed an LED light in the USB on the back. It works great!

1D60766A-7AD1-41A3-8875-0AF4126E9ED2.jpeg

As long as your cognizant that the amp can push the speaker beyond its limits it’s not a problem. It might be an issue for a manufacturer to produce this as someone will blow up their driver but in my experience the speaker will tell you when it’s stressing. You’ll know you’re too loud for a 112. But that comes with experience I guess.

This Scout has the factory neo 12” speaker in it and including the floorboard and casters it weighs 42lbs. It’s a breeze to lift and roll around.

I still prefer the sound of my WA to the WD but for gigging, this is an amazing package! Full featured high powered head, thick sounding small light cab. What more could you ask for?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  18. Do you ever run it in the 2 ohm mode?

19. mb94952

@MuthaFunk - I got this on Ebay for $25. It's a powerless (no need for 9v or any power supply) Hi Pass filter. It protects your speakers from being damaged. Watch the Youtube video on it. I bought one and use it all the time. It's amazing.
    BTW, your "new" WA combo looks amazing !
    8uvPNb4.jpg

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    Novarocker and DJ Bebop like this.
  20. mb94952

BlueTalon, DJ Bebop and Billyzoom like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021