Mesa Next-Gen Walkabout Scout

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RichSnyder, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
  2. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    In 2021, is "personal monitor" more of a use case for a combo rather than carrying the bass completely in a full band situation? For me it is, not sure about others, so front-mounted controls and one of those kickback leg stands on the bottom of the cab would be an improvement over the original WB design. And then add another cab if you need to get some more booty for those medium-sized gigs. If Jason Aldean calls looking for a bassist, I can buy a big rig or probably get one on loan. (Not going to happen and Tully is an occasional member here, not gunning for your gig, just using you as an example of "things that will never happen".)

DJ Bebop and Al Kraft like this.
  3. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I don't see much use for a 112 combo in the context of their current offerings, but yesterday, for no good reason, I put my WD800 on top of a Phil Jones 2x5 C2 extension cab (rated to handle 200 watts). I flipped the WD into 2 Ohm mode and was very careful with the gain and volume......all the goodness of the WD came through at low volume......it got me thinking that a small 110 Mesa cab (say 20 lbs) with a mounting system to accommodate a WD800 would be difficult for me to resist. An alternative would be a dressed down D200 110 combo, but I'd prefer a full featured head with all its' bells and whistles.......a very small and light (but not crazy small or light) combo to use to record/personal monitor, etc. If that cab and mounting bracket were available I'd buy 'em now.

4. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    The above posts (by RichSnyder and lomo) are exactly why I still own a 112 WA combo and a little Eden EX110 and GK MB200. There are times when I just want to work on something I heard before I forget it, or do a living room jam/practice with just a guitarist and vocalist, or need a minimal footprint, easy to set-up monitor.

Pulling out big gun gear is doable, but less convenient and not as fast. When that small gear is also gig capable for reasonable volume things, that makes it very attractive for me...and thus I bought a WA Scout combo years ago and have never parted with it.

I'd be all in for something pro quality in a small combo package that had a good feature set and would especially be interested if the head was removable. I love the WA Scout 112, but smaller and lighter (at the same quality level) would be welcome.

Kevdel, agedhorse, pfschim and 3 others like this.
  5. Field of dreams " Build it and they shall come" :)

6. Sign me up for a combo based on the WD800. A 210 combo with a WD800 head, or at least all of the features of the WD800 head. A lower wattage would be ok, so long as an extension cabinet possibility exists.

Also, put the controls on the face of the cabinet but give the cabinet a wedge design, similar to a floor monitor.

Now that I've said all of that, I've just described the Ampeg BA210-V2 that I've been using for rehearsals. But I don't like the lower quality, made in China, feel of that thing. And I yearn for the fantastic WD800 tones when I play it. However, the form factor and flexibility/scalability of this combo is fantastic! When I need more oomph, I set it on top of my Mesa 115 cabinet and use the extension cabinet feature of the amp.......and 450 watts at my disposal. If this were a complete Mesa design based on the WD800 head it would be, and sound, incredible. I would have spent multiple times the money for a Mesa rig like this instead of the lower quality rigs that are currently on the market. Just another thought-proving idea for Andy (@agedhorse) and the Mesa team.

IMG_0575.JPG IMG_0576.JPG

Al Kraft, agedhorse, Amano and 2 others like this.
  7. @agedhorse .. how about building a cradle for the D800 and/or WD800 heads that can be attached to an existing subway cab to create a simple, but versatile grab and go combo, like the Shuttle series from GB? Seems like the easiest way to fill this gap oustide of creating a new piece.

If you were designing something new, I would prefer 300 watts at 8ohms, 500 with an extension cab.. sort of like what the Rumbles do, but done better.

8. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Loved my Walkabout combo stacks. The only drawback IMO was the location of the amp. Make the new (hypothetical) combo with a forward-facing amp.

Al Kraft likes this.
  9. The real challenge here is not designing and building such a thing, but selling enough to make it profitable.

More than a few times I've spoken of a wish list of combos I wish Andy and Mesa would consider, and no doubt they could nail it, but after it's all said and done, they have to roll the dice that a Mesa Combo, probably priced in the $1-2k retail price would sell in numbers to make it worth it . . . . . against Chinese-built Fenders, Ampegs, and all the rest. And also in a more 'amp-less' and IEM stage world. Is that 'big enough' market there ?

Place your bets.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    DrMole, cemunk, Haroldo and 3 others like this.
  10. And pro guitarists who can “get their sound” at reasonable SPLs.

Al Kraft likes this.
  11. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Oh yeah, I don’t think it would make sense to do, but it would be nice.

DrMole likes this.
  12. AI who has a lot of combo experience went the other way and just created bracket systems instead and called those combinations - combo. I have tried the Rosetta on a double bass and it is pretty capable. The Fishman LoudBox - I've used it for cafe gigs with a 5 string. There are many options out there and Mesa has to come up with a compelling proposition why you have to get it and it will be priced 1.5k if not more.

Mesa Boogie satellite combo amps was available for the Mark IV guitar amps, so a powered cab like the Bergantino IP maybe a better idea. I certainly would find that appealing.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  13. BSatt

BSatt

Jun 22, 2019
    Southern California
    I use a WA Scout12 (4ohm) as my main rig/stage monitor. FOH always carries the room. I've never run it over 1/4 - never had to. Love the tone and volume. The two gripes I have are the placement of the amp/back of the amp when I used to run the DI to the board, and the weight. My solution to those is a rockNroller cart and a pedal board with a preamp that handles the DI to the board.

My suggestions for a hypothetical next-gen are:
    1) Make it lighter. 51 pounds is enough to make me think about replacing the combo. But the tone I get from it always forces me to reject that notion. If there was a 30-ish pound alternative with same/similar sound, I would be very interested.
    2) While the top facing amp is okay, the bottom facing back of the amp is (or was) a headache. Front facing amp would be okay, or, move all the controls needed to an easy access location.
    3) I've used 12s for decades so for me a 12 is the right size. I would look at a 15 if it was 30-ish pounds and was of a similar footprint.
    4) 200 watts seems small to me but then again I don't run my current WA Scout12 (4ohm) past 1/4 so as long as I can get same/similar volume.
    5) I've never had the need to run an extension speaker but the ability to do so would be nice.

agedhorse, lomo, burgerdj and 3 others like this.
  14. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    A Walkabout MkII?
    12" speaker.
    200 watts is good.
    The preamp from the Subway Bass DI Preamp
    A switch to make the combo FRFR but have a master variable hpf.
    IR/Cab Loader.

Please.

:D

agedhorse, DJ Bebop and Al Kraft like this.
  15. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Sort of a latter day Seymour Duncan Convertible amplifier?

16. I do that now, WD into an Eden CX 110...
    upload_2021-6-9_20-40-8.png
    :)

I've actually played gigs bigger than at first I thought I shouldn't have with it but it really worked well. A lot of parties, small taverns and coffee house things, then the rona hit. Hoping to get it and me back in the rotation soon :)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    lomo likes this.
  17. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    East Bay, N. Ca.
    Huh...never seen those before, but yea, something like that.

TinIndian likes this.
  18. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Any plans for a subway 810 cab ?

agedhorse, Dino78 and DJ Bebop like this.
  19. now there is a great idea!

20. monkeyland

monkeyland

Jul 1, 2008
    Ft Myers, Florida
    Endorsing artist: Curt Mangan Strings, JH Audio
    unless the manufacturer wants to limit sales by forcing users to play in their garden that seems like a bad idea. There are enough preamp units out there these days that a well designed powered speaker that is bass specific should be an easy thing to accomplish. The reality is that the general buyer can’t wrap their head around it. There’s also some technical hurdles having to do with all of those preamps having widely varying output levels. It’s much more standardized in the pro audio world but even there can have some variation

BlueTalon and agedhorse like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021