1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa Walkabout Scout can't handle low frequencies

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scrambledeggs21, Feb 24, 2016.

1. I like my Walkabout. It's a great amp with a classic Mesa style Eq set that gives me what I want. But the speaker has given me more trouble than I've wanted. I got a used silver faced model that originally hade a problem with a speaker. Even though it was used, mesa boggie still fixed up the cab with the warranty on it. So now the problem is that the speaker cannot handle low frequencies. What I mean by that is when I play on my five string or with my ubass that has a lot of low frequencies when plugged in, the speaker starts to give. Not as bad as when I first got it, but still with a 5 string or a ubass, I can't have the master set past more than 10 o'clock on the knob. The head itself is fine when I play through my GK cab. I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as weather I should try to repair the speaker or just use the head with a cab.

2. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I have a Walkabout, too, and love it. But the cabinet for the combo is typically 4 ohms, and that 12" cabinet can't handle all 300 watts the head can put out at 4 ohms. I've chosen to run the head with bigger cabs. You could, however, add a second Scout cabinet if you want.

3. None of the regular 1x12 cabinets are really capable of handling 300W of bass frequencies. Combos tend to be even worse. If your current amp cannot do all you need it to do, it’s time to rethink your amplification system.

rodl2005 and GregC like this.
  4. What EQ setting are you normally using when this happens?

Try a HPF on it....
    Turn the low semi-parametric freq to 30Hz, do a 6-9dB cut PLUS boost Bass shelf EQ to 1-3 o'clock. Works absolute magic!!

Also...
    Check if your passive radiator isn't what's farting out. Plus make sure screws around your driver are fully tightened and the gasket is sealing 100% properly.

Is it 12" or 15" model?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    rodl2005 and GregC like this.
  5. This! I have a 5 string ubass and the walkabout and the HPF is key. Failing that, a loose driver would be my next thing to check, after that, it could very well be speaker fatigue. The walkabout doesn't have any HPF though and those Ubass transients go awfully deep. I bet this is 90% your problem.

Groove Doctor likes this.