Metal Bass Players

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by sLiPkNoT_mAgGoT, Aug 30, 2005.

1. sLiPkNoT_mAgGoT

Jul 24, 2005
    who do you guys/girls think are some great metal bass players :help:
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The usual;

Alex Webster, Steve Cloutier, Eric Langlois, Steve DiGiorgio, Tony Choy are "greats"

None of these guys are slouches:
    Byron Stroud, Jon Vesano, Troy Sanders, IC Vortex (his work with Borknagar. Demon Burger...meh), Tyr, Stefan Fimmers, Jeff Walker, Cameron Grant, Adrian Lambert (despite the fact that he's in a power metal band),

Miguel and Xavier from Ion Dissonance. Holy crap; gotta be doing something right to get that gig. Same goes for the bassists that have been in Between The Buried and Me.

I left Cliff Burton of the list on purpose.

And y'know, there are others, these are just off the top of my head; I'm sure I forgot some real prominent ones.

edit- like Mike MacIvor.
  3. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I'll add Martin Mendez (Opeth), Sean Malone (Cynic/Gordion Knot), Johan Niemann (Therion) and Michael Nicklasson (Dark Tranquility).
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah. Sean Malone was one of those ones I should have mentioned. Dude owns; and is a heckuva nice guy, too.
  5. Justin Chancellor - Tool
    Ryan Martinez - Mudvayne.
  6. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I belive his name is Ryan Martinie.

I'd also argue that neither band is really metal. Tool is progressive hard rock and Mudvayne is, well, Mudvayne....:)

I also committed a grave sin earlier: I omitted both Geezer Butler and Steve Harris form my list. All of us supposed metal head should hang out heads in shame for not listing these guys already :)
  7. Mudvayne is Progressive Hardcore/NuMetal. Still metal. :p

i'll add Olli-Pekka Laine from amorphis. I think he's pretty awesome.

also the guy from Symphony-X i dunno his name and he might already have been mentioned. lol
  8. Greg Christian (Testament) is awesome and fairly unknown. Alex Webster is great (their new album has some INSANELY technical stuff, I don't know how he does some of it). Cliff Burton was really good.
  9. John Myung, Martin Mendez, the Symphony X dude
  10. conk97

May 2, 2005
    redditch, uk
    james leach from sikth
  11. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    hear hear, great pic player
  12. mwm70

Oct 27, 2004
    AMEN!!!! Killer bass sound and an awesome player.

Dennis Pepa - Death Angel: anyone who uses a 4 finger picking technique has to be included.
    Frank Bello - Anthrax
    Tom Araya - Playing those rhythms while singing.
  13. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    Alex Webster, Steve Digiorgio, Steve Harris, Tyr, ICS Vortex, Cliff Burton, Jason Newsted, Geezer Butler, Sean Malone, Tony Choy, Rex Brown, John Myung and many others
  14. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Yeah, cause playing straight 8ths on an open drop D with a pick while yelling is really the mark of a amster bass player :/

Tom live vs. Tom in the studio are two different Toms. His studio playing is barely interesting. His live playing is barely playing.
  15. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I agree with a lot of the players mentioned, I'd also like to add David Ellefson, formerly of Megadeth. And, of course, Lemmy.

16. He's a really great bassist. Nothing really flashy, he just puts the bass where it belongs. Perfect for Opeth.
  17. He must be a master... he has his own sig model. :ninja:
  18. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    My personal favorites are Cliff Burton, Geezer Butler, Justin Chancellor, Steve Harris, Paul D'amour, John Myung, and Rob Trujillo.