Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Metallica auditions from "Monster"

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by chump stain, Mar 3, 2005.

1. The scene in the movie where they audition bass players was pretty cool, anyone see it. It was cool to see and hear the different styles. The only thing is that they should have spent more time (IMO) showing the different bassists.

After seeing that scene there is no question, that Robert was the best choice. Doesn't Pepper Keenen play guitar? He also tried out. Anyone else see it?

2. I used to dig Robert in Suicidal Tendencies - he's a great slapper - that muscle bound look in Metallica is so funny - I think I need to beef up for my funk gigs ;)

3. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Ya I mean Jeordie White wasn't right for them.Could barely keep up with a pick.Rob is pretty impressive

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Danny Lohner looked like he was having a hard time keeping up as well. I'm kind of shocked that he was even invited... he's a pretty bad bassist.

5. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    One of them, I think Twigy Ramirez played the intro to 'For Whom The Bell Tolls' wrong.

Graeme

EDIT: They should have made that woman who played 'Seek & Destroy' their new bass player.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I suppose I should watch this sometime...

7. Who the heck are Jeordie White and Danny Lohner? :confused:

Pepper Keenan plays guitar and sings in C.O.C.

8. Have you heard his funkrock group, Infectuous Grooves?
    I'm not a huge fan of their music, but Rob surely got a powerful tone! I'm looking forward to hearing his new stuff with Metallica. Will he be allowed to shine trough? Because playing their old stuff he will never really be able to put that much into it.

And yeah, I am indeed an old Metallica fan!
    I still feel they are/was top notch songwriters. But each to his own, I guess.

9. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Jeordie White was previously a yes-man for Marilyn Manson.

Danny Lohner was previously a yes-man for Trent Reznor.

Both are now out of work.

10. snapple

snapple

Nov 25, 2003
    Victoria-Vancouver Canada
    Endorsing Artist: PCL Vintage Amps

Doesnt Jeordie White play for a perfect circle? I knew he was a while ago... did they ditch him?

11. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Sorry, but A Perfect Circle is no more (or so say my sources).

12. snapple

snapple

Nov 25, 2003
    Victoria-Vancouver Canada
    Endorsing Artist: PCL Vintage Amps
    Damn, well i guess that means more TOOL - always a bonus!

13. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I'm pretty sure it's Twigy Ramirez that's in APC currently.

14. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Twiggy ramirez is Jeordie.Same guy.Are they actually split up or on hiatus?What with new Tool stuff coming out and they should be touring it too

15. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    According to one of my friends who worked on the last two albums, APC will not be doing anything for a long time, if ever. It turned into a Maynard side project, which Billy resented since it was his project in the first place.

16. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Ya I'd like to hear more from Billy.Oh and Zod rules Ben!!!

17. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Kneel before Zod!

18. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    My favorite part was when they asked Rob what song he wants to play and he says "battery" and lars is like...woa, you can play that fast with your fingers?!

Rob is the man. He is one of the best players out there. I don't quite dig his technique but he is a fierce player nonetheless.

19. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah that was sweet. If Cliff is the Metal god, Trujillo is one of his angels.

Trujillo is the guy who made me throw away all of my picks. I used to be a kid who used picks for fast stuff because I was lazy, but after watching Rob, I won't EVER touch a pick.

YAY FOR ROB! :hyper:

20. NICE! at least someone knows about them. they, assuming they arent around anymore, were pretty sic.

the only thing that struck we funny about the auditions was that, IMO, all the people's tones were the same or just really bad. but o well...