Method for Jazz Tone!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by FunkSlap89, May 8, 2005.

1. FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Hey, i was thinking the other day, I would like to get the upright tone from my bass for the school jazz band. So, i brainstormed and decided to try to put corks just in front of the bridge in between the bridge and the pickup. I tried it, the whole cork didn't fit so i cut it in half and stuck both halfs side by side and tried it out. The tone is great! It has that thumpy jazz sound that uprights get. I recorded it here:

its the one titled "Jazz Tone"

tell me what you think

edit: the only problem with the corks is that it seriously effects your intonation above the 12th fret....
  2. ditto :)
  3. FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Since the last post, i made it better by connecting the other half of the cork on the top of the strings using a rubber band. This gets the ultimate thumpin' goin'! :bassist:
  4. Now, lets make the whole bridges in wood :smug:
  5. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    hmmm , have you tried palm muting instead ? , the corks sound more
    jamerson than upright to me
  6. FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Yeah, i realized that it doesn't sound exactly like an upright, but it is much easier than palm muting (especially not playing with a pick). Plus I like the Jamerson tone...
  7. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    A lot of it is choice of action and string, too. I was in my HS jazz band and such. I used a fretted P bass, but could get a decent uprighty sound. Once I got my own bass (I used school instruments prior), I really could set things up right and the way I heard things in my head.

Flatwounds and high action will definitely help once you get a technique down. You may want to raise your action slightly over time as you will need to develop strong hands to play. Over the years my action has crept up more and more.

If you only play jazz, consider a set of tapewound strings (such as the Rotosounds RS88 set, or the Labella 760Ns), as they will also give you a tone better than a set of roundwounds. Even on a fretted bass, you should hopefully hear a difference.

Another technique you may want to try is on ballads where you may do bowing on an upright with long tones, use either a volume pedal or use your hand to turn your volume up/down on your bass. It adds a lot instead of just plucking a string. It's subtle, but a nice option.
  8. ya know theres a reason why the old fender basses came with string mutes, they gave it a nice sound just like that an didnt have nearly the effect on intonation. you can get a set on

and they look very cool by the way