Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Midnight Train to Georgia

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by emor, Jun 6, 2004.

1. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
  2. purpletornado

purpletornado

Aug 5, 2009
    Whooo Whooooo!

3. legolasdx

legolasdx

Jun 15, 2010
    SWEEET, thanks a ton :)

I have been lazy about transcribing this tune myself... can you believe how hard it is to get some notes on this amazing song? bah!

Thanks a ton!

4. the transcription appeared in bass player,and has been available in the tab forum.......

5. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Did you know this song was originally called Midnight Plane To Houston written by Jim Weatherly?

Jim Weatherly had recorded one of his own songs, "Midnight Plane to Houston," on Jimmy Bowen's Amos Records. "It was based on a conversation I had with somebody... about taking a midnight plane to Houston," Weatherly recalls. "I wrote it as a kind of a country song. Then we sent the song to a guy named Sonny Limbo in Atlanta and he wanted to cut it on Cissy Houston... he asked if I minded if he changed the title to 'Midnight Train to Georgia.' And I said, I don't mind. Just don't change the rest of the song.' The song was recorded by singer Cissy Houston before Gladys Knight & The Pips did it.

Here is the Jim Weatherly version.

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=1940

Version after it was retitiled "Midnight Train To Georgia" done by Cissy Houston.

http://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/midnight-train-to-georgia/id317275123

6. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I did not know that!

Very cool, thanks.

7. jeffbos

jeffbos

Jun 9, 2011
    Huntsville, AL

8. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    I had kind of forgotten about posting this.

Someone mentioned that this had been in B.P.
    As noted in my post from 2004, it was an exercise in transcription for me.

The link in the O.P. isn't working for me, so here it is again.

[​IMG]