1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mint 70's Ibanez Jazz Bass (Lawsuit?) Please help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BroBro, Jul 23, 2016.

1. BroBro

BroBro

Nov 26, 2015
    New Zealand
    Ok, a mate of mine found an old bass in a cupboard at his Dad's place, that the dude played as a young un...
    Turns out to be an MIJ Ibanez jazz bass from the 70s, in mint condition. Awesome:D
    Maple board, blocks, binding, pick upcovers etc. I think the only non-stock thing is the pickguard.
    Plays very nice, currently strung with tapewounds of some sort. Looks very cool

Can anyone tell me more about this bass?
    And if I was to purchase it off him, what would a fair price be?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

The proverbial lawsuit never actually happened, except once between Gibson and Ibanez regarding the tip of a headstock.
    A lawsuit instrument is any asian 70s/early 80s instruments that strictly copies an iconic US instrument.
    This one can be called a lawsuit if you wish.
    Just throwing in a little history.

3. BroBro

BroBro

Nov 26, 2015
    New Zealand
    Thanks, I sort of understood that, which is why i had the question mark. There is no actual lawsuit relating to these basses as far as I am aware, but it is (i think) what is commonly called a 'lawsuit' bass.
    Correct?!

Jazz Ad likes this.
  4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

This one was produced between 1976 and 1979.
    Before that their brand name was Cimar, not Ibanez and in 1979 they switched to an entirely new line comprised exclusively of in-house designs.

Ibanez Catalogs

5. Thespis

Thespis

Feb 2, 2016
    I'm confused. This is a 1950 catalog using the Ibanez name.
    Ibanez Catalogs

Gluvhand likes this.
  6. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I believe that this is the one thing that we can't tell you, unless you are a supporting member.

Edit: But the bass is gorgeous!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  7. Yeah. Cimar was the name used by Ibanez on their budget line that appeared sometime in the mid to late '80's. I don't know if they used it before that.

8. I believe there was a lawsuit brought by Fender against Tokai that resulted in a headstock change for Tokai. Or not. I'm getting old and forget stuff.

9. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Yes, Cimar was the budget line - Ibanez was around before then. I know this because my very first bass was a Cimar jazz bass - I really wanted the Ibanez version but couldn't afford it at the time. There was a big difference in quality if I remember correctly, I later upgraded to an Ibanez Musician a couple of year later.

Jazz Ad likes this.
  10. BroBro

BroBro

Nov 26, 2015
    New Zealand
    Hmm i sort of expected that... I just thought it's not on general market (and most of you can't buy it anyway, wrong country!) So i thought I'd try my chances!
    Also, if anyone wanted to buy it they'd have to contact me, who also wants it, so I don't fancy their chances haha

Oh well it's a cool bass anyway:bassist:

11. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Original pickguard was Tort. My Cimar looked identical with the maple neck/blocks and natural finish. I imagine the Ibanez version was identical.

Sounds like it's a bass you want and don't want anyone else to get so I would make a fair offer for it. What does a decent comparable used jazz clone go for in your country? That would probably be the price to go with.

12. TBs, new to the site, I just got an "Ibanez SG" (EB-0?) and need some feedback for the instrument I received, it certainly looks old and shows some wear, hardware (bridge) looks vintage too. attached is my two girls! (Ibanez ExSeries Korea)
    IMG_20160802_214909. IMG_20160802_214956. IMG_20160802_215454. IMG_20160802_215515.

13. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!