Misaligned neck laminates - twisting?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by nismodan, May 13, 2022.

1. nismodan

nismodan

May 28, 2019
    Hey y'all.
    I recently received this instrument and am really digging it, but have also noticed that the neck laminates don't line up with the headstock.
    Does this present a failure point for either twisting or otherwise messing up the overall neck alignment?
    This is a set-neck, so swapping in the future would be an issue.

The body caps also seem to be misaligned from the center-line of the neck. Any issue there?

Thanks for any advice!!

Attached Files:

2. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Is that a real Alembic, or copy? Either way, it’s a cosmetic issue, not a structural one. I would be shocked if it came out of the Alembic workshop that way, they don’t sell B Stock or Blems AFAIK. Just squint a little and play the hell out of it.

3. J Wilson

J Wilson

Apr 22, 2022
    An Undisclosed Location
    none
    I can utterly guarantee you that's NOT a real Alembic.

Last edited: May 13, 2022
    Reedt2000, kobass, MVE and 4 others like this.
  4. SlingBlader

SlingBlader Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Northern Indiana
    I'd say it's in danger of exploding into a shower of a bazillion dangerously sharp shards of wood fragments. :eek:

But nah, it's gonna be fine. :smug:

5. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    All of the photos of the Eastwood Tiger Basses I've seen so far have shown the same laminate alignment. It may be a question of the jigs/templates they are using for construction.

I agree with @Gilmourisgod though that it is unlikely to be anything other than cosmetic. :thumbsup:

6. I'm certainly not an expert, but I would say not to worry about it until it happens. It may look odd but it is probably gonna be just fine.

7. nismodan

nismodan

May 28, 2019
    Rad!!
    Thanks ya'll!!!

Reedt2000 and Beej like this.
  8. As a connoisseur of slightly inferior instruments either that's gonna be fine or two or three of my instruments are on the clock.

9. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Never heard of Eastwood Tiger before, the one on the website looks centered, FWIW. Korean basses are usually pretty good, that one must have slipped through QC (if they do QC Inspections).
    Eastwood Tiger Bass

Reedt2000 likes this.
  10. J Wilson

J Wilson

Apr 22, 2022
    An Undisclosed Location
    none
    What may be at work: Back in Pleistocene times, IMC was the importer/distributor of the old Hondo line, and of course they were all run up in the Far East.

They once sent a final prototype to the plant they were using for that particular piece, and somehow, between here and there, the knob on the low E string tuning key on the particular guitar came off.

Several months later, they get their shipment, several hundred of them, and they were just perfect, right down to each one missing the button on the low E tuner.

Last edited: May 13, 2022
    Mickey666, basted and SpaceJockey like this.
  11. I was going to guess Eastwood Tiger also. Cool looking basses and the neck will most likely be fine. At the very least, it isn’t any more likely to twist then a neck that’s symmetrical.

nismodan and Beej like this.
  12. Structurally it’ll be fine, just looks a little high school shop classish.

13. Bass-aholic

Bass-aholic

Dec 28, 2010
    West Chester PA
    I own a cat... Owned a cat........... I think it was a cat.
    Until you notice it playing like schit, don't worry about it.

Sleek looking axe. I would worry less about those instances as long as it holds tune and the neck isn't buzzing.

14. svlilioukalani

svlilioukalani Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Seattle, Wa
    It’s an asymmetrical neck. Some would pay extra for that!

Mickey666 likes this.
  15. J Wilson

J Wilson

Apr 22, 2022
    An Undisclosed Location
    none
    Back of a 'real' Alembic. No twist, centerline observed. BTW, it's watching you.

[​IMG]

Back of a Stanley 'Brown Bass':

[​IMG]

Back of a Mark King Sig:

[​IMG]

But to be fair, Eastwood sorta copies are a LOT, a LOT, a LOT cheaper than the 'real thing'. Kinda like one of those $100 Wagyu cheeseburgers . . . and a White Castle.

16. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Even the model pictured on their website shows the same offset (maybe not quite as significant as yours). Could it be intentional? I can't think of why it would be, maybe @Beej is right about templates or some other part of manufacturering having an error that ends up in all of em....

Screenshot_20220514-141640_Chrome.jpg

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022