Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modern day equivalent to Taurus pedals

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Peter Squire, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Hello

I play in a three piece band. I'm a huge Rush fan, but we don't play any Rush, hehehe.

Our band has a great singer/guitarist/keys player. Unfortunately, he can only play guitars or keys individually. He's only human after all :D

I know that Geddy used to play keys using Taurus pedals to trigger the synth. I am wondering if there is something along those lines in modern technology that I could buy so that I could add some synth beds to our music.

Could anyone please give me info on what to use, how to set it up etc...

I know the keyboard fairly well, but want to get some footpedal kind of setup. Do I need to buy a synth, or just a module etc...

Any advice would be great, friends..

2. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    A MIDI foot controller like this: http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-ROL-PK5.html MIDI'ed up to a synth or rack synth module. For a Taurus-like sound I'd go for an analog or virtual-analog synth (I hear the Alesis Ion/Micron have a Taurus patch on 'em, but I haven't heard it myself.)

Man, there's nothing like those classic Taurus pedals. I love that sound! For my own home studio use, I made a Taurus-like patch in my Arturia Minimoog softsynth that I kick in here and there when I want that "bwwwaaaaaarrrrmmmmmmmmmmmm...."

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

4. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    There's a guy that sells 'em on ebay too. There's even a "Saurus" pedal that uses a true analog synth, similar to the Taurus.

As far as affordable sound banks go, the Alesis NanoBass has a pretty good Taurus patch on it... as well as some other nice synth patches.