Modern day equivalent to Taurus pedals

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Peter Squire, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Hello

I play in a three piece band. I'm a huge Rush fan, but we don't play any Rush, hehehe.

Our band has a great singer/guitarist/keys player. Unfortunately, he can only play guitars or keys individually. He's only human after all :D

I know that Geddy used to play keys using Taurus pedals to trigger the synth. I am wondering if there is something along those lines in modern technology that I could buy so that I could add some synth beds to our music.

Could anyone please give me info on what to use, how to set it up etc...

I know the keyboard fairly well, but want to get some footpedal kind of setup. Do I need to buy a synth, or just a module etc...

Any advice would be great, friends..
  2. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    A MIDI foot controller like this: MIDI'ed up to a synth or rack synth module. For a Taurus-like sound I'd go for an analog or virtual-analog synth (I hear the Alesis Ion/Micron have a Taurus patch on 'em, but I haven't heard it myself.)

Man, there's nothing like those classic Taurus pedals. I love that sound! For my own home studio use, I made a Taurus-like patch in my Arturia Minimoog softsynth that I kick in here and there when I want that "bwwwaaaaaarrrrmmmmmmmmmmmm...."
  3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

4. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    There's a guy that sells 'em on ebay too. There's even a "Saurus" pedal that uses a true analog synth, similar to the Taurus.

As far as affordable sound banks go, the Alesis NanoBass has a pretty good Taurus patch on it... as well as some other nice synth patches.