Modern prog album suggestions

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by StanFan, Feb 5, 2009.

1. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    ConstuKction of Light is really good, but The Power To Believe really pulls together the "new" KC with the "old". INCOTKC doesn't really stand up overall, outside of the obvious songs. There's things on In The Wake Of Poseidon that I like better. I don't have Lizards, and Islands is a very quirky album that I found myself liking and curious about. The fact that it was only 8 months between Islands and Lark's Tongue in Aspic speaks volumes about how fluid King Crimson can be. I think it was on the latter where Fripp finally decided to come out front and really take control.

2. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
  3. jgamble

jgamble

Jan 31, 2008
    Coheed & Cambria. Great band, great bassist.

4. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    The Mars Volta, seriously. I cannot stress enough how important it is you immediately listen to them. But do not start with Amputecture. Even a devoted fan such as myself has a tough time getting to like that album, though it is growing on me. Any other album is a perfect start point.

And if you like TMV, poke around for some of Omar Rodriguez-Lopez' solo work.

And I second Deerhoof.

Hella, if you have a taste for such.

Radiohead, while perhaps not strictly prog, do oft indulge in proggy tangents.

5. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Jam/Prog anyone?

Umphrey's McGee. Definitely check out their live stuff, but all of their studio albums are good efforts. I like Local Band Does, Ok for the eclectic mix on it. Everything from mellow Steely Dan type funk, to more energetic and progressive tunes (Hurt Bird Bath, Nothing Too Fancy).

Live songs to check out...Fussy Dutchman, Kimble, Glory, 2x2.

6. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Pedulla?,

I'm checking out some Fair to Midland right now, way tasty! I'll have to pick up their CD

Keep the suggestions coming folks, looks like I'm gonna be spending some $$! :D

Yeah I dig C&C

Have to say that Deerhoof and Between the Buried and Me didn't suit my tastes....sorry

7. alapantera

alapantera

Mar 22, 2004
    Wisconsin
  8. Opeth has been mentioned already, I'm sure. Hopefully 3 have as well. I'm also going to make a case for Ars Nova-- imagine if ELP were reincarnated as three (well, now four) less pretentious Japanese women. I have their Book of the Dead album and it's fantastic.

I'm going to second the above poster on the Dysrhythmia bit.

Finally, Zombi are very influenced by horror soundtracks and Goblin and are sooo good. The new one, Spirit Animal, is going to be great and their last one, Surface to Air, was a killer as well.

9. I'll also recommend Planet X to those into prog. I only have Quantum, but am familiar with them enough to recommend them. Allan Holdsworth and Jimmy Johnson appear on Quantum, and I'm pretty sure their other albums have plenty of guests.

10. alapantera

alapantera

Mar 22, 2004
    Wisconsin
    I forgot to mention Chimp Spanner (Paul Ortiz). He's got an instrumental prog-metal sound.

He writes/records all his stuff himself in his bedroom studio. The stuff is simply amazing. He's also been working on a new album forever... but he's been putting up some new work-in-progress samples, so that's got me pretty excited.

www.soundclick.com/chimpspanner

11. basscheez

basscheez

Nov 6, 2008
    Cleveland, Oh
    Liquid Tension Experiment

12. Hughsie

Hughsie

Nov 21, 2006
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Fish - new album 13th Star (for starters)
    Frost* - Milliontown
    Marillion - anything, pretty much
    It Bites - loads of stuff
    Chasar - Chasar/Gypsy Roller (obscure but worth tracking down)
    Kino - Picture
    System Of A Down - loads of stuff
    Muse - anything
    Magenta - only heard a little but what I did I liked ...

13. I have a midterm tomorrow (yes, on a Saturday), and I'll be headed to HMV to pick up an album I ordered there (Fates Warning's FWX). I'll most likely order something from one or two of the bands that you all shared with me. I'll tell you what I've ordered when I come back.

14. LOL!! Sigged. :)

Definitely see the ELP influence. Seems like an appropriate description.

15. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Texas
    I will second O.S.I. as a great band to check out. Kevin Moore is a great keyboardist.

However to answer the OP's question, I'm not exactly sure what constitutes prog rock these days. Maybe it's just one of those thing where, when you hear it you just know it but I don't hear it in some of the bands mentioned. For example, new Dream Theater just sounds like generic metal with keyboards to me. I think the prog rock moniker has become the graveyard of bands that are challenging to classify.

Of all the bands listed Spock's Beard is a good example of a modern prog band to me. BTW I am listening to DT right now.

16. Gubna

Gubna

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
    by far, this has been the most ear-opening of any thread I've read on TB.

Thank all of you! I've been looking for new music lately, and here it is.

17. GrooveWarrior

GrooveWarrior Supporting Member

+ many numbers

I'm surprised it took this long for them to be mentioned. I think they are one of the most creative and thoughtful group of songwriters going right now.

18. Nice to see you mention Gordian Knot, some of my favorite music of all time! :)

At War With Self is a project quite similar to Gordian Knot (at least their first album Torn Between Dimensions. Not very surprising, seeing that Glenn Snelwar is the man behind it - he was one of the original GK members back when it was supposed to be a real band. Their first disc features Mark Zonder from Fates Warning on drums and the amazing (and for once tasteful) Michael Manring on bass.

Also, I second the Andromeda recommendation. They seem to be pretty much the only band to learn the right lessons from Images and Words era Dream Theater. Their debut Extension of the Wish is just fantastic progressive metal. Beware though, their last album is a bit weak.

Also, Pain of Salvation. Mentioned before and an absolute must. Start with The Perfect Element Part I for a more "regular" prog metal masterpiece or with BE for something way more eclectic.

And while you're at it, why don't you check out my band Relocator? :) We're an all-instrumental prog band working on our debut CD and Derek Sherinian of Dream Theater and Planet X fame has contributed a bunch of awesome keyboard solos to our material. One track is online now:
    http://www.myspace.com/relocatorproject

Let me know what you think! :)

19. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    I didn't see anybody post the real heavy progressive bands, but you may like them...

Between The Buried and Me
    Protest The Hero
    Symphony X (somebody probably posted this)
    Sikth
    Ron Jarzombek
    Spastic Ink
    Blotted Science
    Behold...The Archtopos
    Opeth
    Nuclear Rabbit (only some of the stuff i would call progressive)
    Rush

...Enjoy!

20. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Many of the bands mention are more Metal Prog with growling & screaming vocals. The only newer "old school band" to me is Porcupine Tree, but they are more Pink Floyd then King Crimson

My recommendations

One disc that has twisted my head around that is more prog jazz/experimental is
    Gary Willis, Kirk Covington & Llibert Fortuny- Slaughter House - amazing album

Phil Manzannera's new CD - Firebird V11 - features Bill McCormik from 801 days

David Cross - Exiles (sony)- features Fripp, Weaton, Peter Hammil- Our band's ex drummer played on the disc!
    http://www.amazon.com/Exiles-David-Cross/dp/B000001JLU

CHROMA KEY

Dyonisos - you can download his music for free on some of his pages-

ESKIMO- Very Zappa like

YOLK - the French Band
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=44581087

David Gilmour - On An Island -easily one of the best things he has done in a long time

Steve Lawson - Cannot recommend enough - goes from Frippitronic ambients to jazz to killer Crimson like music.

The Syn- A Chris Squire Project

Conspiracy - Another Chris Squire project

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021