Modern prog album suggestions

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by StanFan, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont

[​IMG]

Although my favorite is still In The Court of...

2. Riverside, Presto Ballet, Dead Soul Tribe, KBB, Lacuna Coil, Platypus, Jelly Jam

3. I ordered The Power To Believe last month, but I pretty much knew I'd like it as I own the dvd Eyes Wide Open. The only studio albums of theirs I've yet to hear or purchase are Lizard and Islands.

While on the topic of KC, I don't know why Construkction of Light gets so harshly criticized. It's one of my favorite albums of theirs (actually prefer it over the preceding album Thrak). I especially like the title track. So they reworked a few older ideas (Larks Tongues IV, Frakctured). So what? Although I prefer live versions of Prozak Blues where Adrian's vocals aren't as distorted.

4. Amazing band. Saw them open for Joe Satriani and dream Theater in 2002. I'd like to see them in a smaller venue one day.

5. I loved using Pandora, but they blocked my access after a while since I don't live in the US. :(

6. Joe Kyle

Joe Kyle

Oct 18, 2008
    Connecticut

I dont know man, it seemed like Bedlam went back to cedric's screams more than his singing that was prominent on Deloused, and it seemed that there were soundscapes just for the hell of it. I also liked Goliath much more when it was Rapid Fire Tollbooth.

Still an amazing band though, so mad i missed them when they came to toads place last december.

7. bassist324

bassist324

Aug 29, 2006
    My recommendations based off of what you have:

Aghora - A rather unique progressive metal band drawing on some eastern influences and having female vocals. Also, their first album features the Seans from Cynic on bass and drums, with Malone giving delivering of the coolest bass grooves that I've ever heard in metal.

Dominici - A sort of generic, but very well done prog metal band. It is put together by Charlie Dominici, the singer from Dream Theater's first album, and there is a story going on between the 3 albums. A word of warning though, the first album is only Dominici (vocals and acoustic guitar) and not prog metal at all.

Spastic Ink - With shredding abilities required for just normal guitar riffs, a bass solo in pretty much every track, and drums to match, this band is one of most technical bands out there. The first album is all instrumental, while the second has all sorts of guest musicians.

Watchtower - One of the first technical metal bands in the 80's, their second album features Ron Jarzombek (dude from Spastic Ink) on guitar. Like Spastic Ink, fast and extremely technical.

Spiral Architect - If you like Watchtower, you'll probably like them as they sound very, very similar. They value technicality over how it sounds at times, and the bass is actually one of the loudest instruments in the mix.

Control Denied - Essential late era Death with clean vocals and less death metal.

Alarum - Another one that's hard to describe, they go in and out of jazz, progressive metal, and death metal, and are very catchy at times.

Martyr - A death metal band that's a bit hard to describe relative to others, more along the lines of Cynic and Atheist than say Necrophagist or Spawn of Possession; not relying on brutality, but just really heavy and intricate.

Instrumental

Gordian Knot - Headed by Sean Malone, this is a band about all of the parts working together and not really standing out from each other. Think Cynic's "Textures" taken to another level, with lots of guests helping out.

Planet X - Progressive metal with strong jazz influences, the result of Derek Sherinian (ex-Dream Theater) and jazz drummer Virgil Donati.

Well that took seemingly forever, enjoy!

8. basshero1107

basshero1107

Jun 20, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    +1 Dream Theater!

+100000000000000 Between The Buried And Me

seriously. btbam is phenomenal...best prog metal band ive ever heard

9. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Glad to see this thread, I've been needing some new prog myself.

Listening to a few of the Atomship tunes, I like that.

Early Kings X is great as is The Mars Volta. I've been wanting to check out Spock's Beard and Porcupine Tree but didn't know quite were to start.

OP said he is interested in new prog but I would also recommend that a good "old school" catalog is worthwhile.

Camel
    Genesis (Peter Gabriel era and Collins up to "Duke")
    Marillion
    Jon Anderson - "Olias of Sunhillow" and With Vangelis "Friends of Mr. Cario"
    Chris Squire - "Fish Out of Water"
    Rick Wakeman - "Six Wives of Henry VIII"
    Alan Parsons Project - "I, Robot" and "Tales of Mystery and Imagination"
    Emerson, Lake and Palmer
    Gong
    Van Der Graaf Generator
    Gentle Giant
    Caravan
    Soft Machine
    Brand X
    Bruford
    Kansas
    Utopia
    Dixie Dregs

To name a few....:D

10. I like quite a few of the above artists you mentioned. I'd highly recommend the Dixie Dreg's Montreux 1978 DVD to anyone into progressive music.

As for Porcupine Tree, I'd start with Deadwing.

11. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    +1, scary good band and players!
    Jonas Helborg: Art Metal, also very scary!;)

12. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    lessee now. I'm a TOTAL prog-head, so...

Planet X (already mentioned, but deserving more recognition)

Andromeda (Finnish prog. One of my favorites)

Circus Maximus (kinda like DT, but without the friggin' annoying LaBrie)

Fromuz (From Uzbekistan. If you like really... weird stuff, you'll like them)

Jordan Rudess (Rythm of Time is his best)

Kamelot (Not sure if it's technically prog, but they're simply incredible anyway)

Ozric Tentacles (psychadelic stuff, kinda like the Flower Kings, but even more out there)

Symphony X (My all time favorite band)

The Devin Townsend Band

Arena

Redemption (prog band from LA. DT-esque, but they actually possess a sense of melody [as you can maybe tell, I really don't like DT])

The Black Mages (Japanese band. These are the same guys who wrote the Final Fantasy music. When they aren't making millions from video games, they gig as a prog band)

Fabrizio Leo (Italian guitarist. Incredible, but very hard to find if you like his music)

Citriniti (Italian prog group. INCREDIBLE instrumentals, one of my favorites)

Ohm (the bassist plays a six-string fretless. Sounds awesome!)

Derek Sherinian (keyboardist for Planet X. His solo albums are just as amazing)

Age Of Nemesis (Hungarian group. Pretty cool)

Scar Symmetry (technically they're melodic metal, but good none the less)

enjoy!

13. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Russian Circles is one of the best bands ever

14. Here is my go-to site for music these days.
    http://www.progarchives.com/

Plenty of song samples and a good source for reviews by those that care about prog-related music. I'm searching right now for some of the groups mentioned that I am not familiar with.

15. IconBasser thanks for the list. That's why I love Rhapsody. I typed Fromuz.. they have it.

Listening to them now. Indeed, intriguing, but great sound.

Uzbekistanian (?) progrock in my ears now. :)

16. Pedulla?

Pedulla? Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2008
    St. Louis, MO
    Protest the Hero- Kezia

Protest the Hero- Fortress

The Human Abstract- Nocturne

3- Anything you can find

Fair to Midland- Fables From A Mayfly: What I Tell You Three Times is True

Between The Buried and Me (obviously)

The Dillinger Escape Plan- Ire Works, Miss Machine

Blotted Science- The Machinations of Dementia

(Arsis? Try to get their newer stuff like We Are The Nightmare, some of their older stuff is pretty much Death Metal straight up)

17. Oddly enough, I prefer their old stuff to their new stuff.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021