Modern prog album suggestions

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by StanFan, Feb 5, 2009.

1. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    He didnt say it couldn't be metal prog. :p

2. Inverness

Inverness

Dec 21, 2007
    Marina, CA
    I will qualify those Opeth suggestions. For me, the first four Opeth albums are all great with My Arms, Your Hearse being my favorite metal album ever. Everything from Blackwater Park on has been, to me, Opeth-stuck-in-rut mode, except for Damnation, which I just find rather blah. Then again EVERYBODY ELSE loves Blackwater Park and everything since then... so what the hell do I know. Opeth's first two albums are very different from their later albums.

Crimson Glory is technically late '80s prog, but... enh, nobody's mentioned 'em thus far, and their first two albums are great.

Meshuggah - a good place to start is Chaosphere. They were still writing songs back then.

I agree with a poster above who questions what "progressive" actually means, these days. I mean, back in the '80s, we're talking stuff like Queensryche, correct? I love that stuff. When did "progressive" evolve into "wacky?" Although, ironically, Meshuggah is probably to blame for a lot of that. I hear modern Dream Theater, and while the production is pretty thunderous, it pretty much sounds like standard traditional metal, whereas a progressive band like, say, Psyopus, is all over the map and kinda annoying.

Typing that last paragraph made me feel like metal has passed me by... And I'm only 25! Oh well... Soilwork had some good albums 10 years ago.

3. I'm surprised nobody else mentioned Meshuggah. I actually like their latest album though.

4. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Catch-33 is my favorite Meshuggah record.

5. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California

Thanks alot for that recommendation!

listen to the song Supererogation.

incredible song!

here's the link:

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=6589844&q=hi&newref=1

6. I made an order when I was at the mall today:

Battles- Mirrored
    Russian Circles- Enter

Thanks to darthbatman for recommending them. I'll be checking back into this thread when I make another order. I like what I heard from Spock's Beard's self titled album, but HMV were charging 26.99 for it, so I'll get it some other way. Next time I'll inquire about the prices of other Spocks Beard albums.

I also purchased Fates Warning's FWX (which I had ordered previously) and Carcass- Swansong (the new reissue).

7. Ive never been able to get into any spocks beard... every time I try I just find their songs weak and not catchy at all...

on a different note, Opeth are AMAZING

8. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    ...is amazing.

9. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Makes no difference.

:)

10. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Especially considering they suck... :bag:

11. I'm surprised you don't know Spock's Beard yet, they are one of the most popular modern prog bands (or at least were before their mastermind Neal Morse left) - I thought they were too obvious to mention. I'd say you should start with either The Kindness of Strangers or V (which is a bit uneven, but has some of their best stuff that makes up around 3/4 of the album) - the 16-minute song At The End Of The Day is a particularly amazing piece of theirs and The Great Nothing with its 24 minutes makes up almost half the album (this one is more a suite than a song, quite typical for Neal Morse).

Their post-Neal material (the self-titled disc, Octane and their "second debut" Feel Euphoria) is more varied and also interesting, but a different thing really and overall I gotta say it's not quite as good as their classics from the Neal era.

Next step after Spock's Beard should be TransAtlantic, the retro-prog supergroup that united Neal Morse with Dream Theater drummer Mike Portnoy, Marillion bassist Pete Trewavas and Flower Kings guitarist/vocalist Roine Stolt. Very much in the classic Spock's Beard vein and tons of fun! :)

12. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    I didn't really like transatlantic very much. Sounded too much like generic rock.

13. Spock's Beard is one of a seemingly endless list of bands I've been aware of for some time, but never took the time to check out. Always loved the name, being a big Star Trek fan. :)

14. Vynns

Vynns Guest

May 5, 2008
    - Ayreon. Dutch band/musical project with lots of guest singers most of the time. Including Devin Townsend and Buce Dickinson to name two. Check out "Universal Migrator" parts I and II especially, I myself favor part II;

- Anything with Mike Patton (Not really prog, but hey, you've got Mr Bungle in there, so...) I myself really like Mr Bungle and Tomahawk;

- Pain of Salvation, as mentioned above;

- Flower Kings, as mentioned above;

- Opeth, as mentioned above;

- Jean Luc Ponty. Not prog metal, more of a jazzy prog, but man... Check out the albums "The Cosmic Messenger" and "Enigmatic Ocean" specifically. These are especially nice for bassists, because they feature the otherworldy grooviness of bassist Ralphe Armstrong;

- Om. Anything Om. Om is Omwesome (Chuckle);

- Amplifier. This is a British band that is a bit hit-and-miss. I don't really find myself liking their second album, but their first, self-titled album is cool.

- Porcupine Tree. I don't know any other albums than "In Absentia", but that one at least is really cool.

- Dutch band Textures is really cool. Don't know if it's available outside of our country, actually, but there ya go.

- And of course, the mighty, mighty Tool.

15. derelicte

derelicte

Dec 25, 2007
    NJ/NYC
    Mars Volta
    Dream Theater
    Lamb of God

16. If you like King Crimson, Yes, and Kansas stuff I'd suggest you check out Neal Morse. He's the singer of Spock's Beard but has gone and done some solo stuff. Very good stuff and very progressive. Oops, someone already beat me to it.

17. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    Lamb of God? I think you're stretching things a bit...

18. Unexpect

19. You were missing Rush in that list you made. They're one of the most popular and successful progressive bands ever. Sales statistics put them as the band with the 4th most consecutive gold/platinum albums ever and they're the highest grossing touring band ever. (They've made more money than any other touring band)

and Dream Theater too, they're insanely talented.

20. Think it might be out of print now but if you can find a copy, get Fredrik Throdendal's Special Defects album Sol Niger Within- Version 3.33. It's a Meshuggah side project, so its got the same polyrhythmic grooves but with a lot of fusion-y influences.

Also, +1 for Spiral Architect- awesome bass playing and mind blowingly technical.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021