Modern prog album suggestions

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by StanFan, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Pedulla?

Pedulla? Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2008
    St. Louis, MO
    PROTEST THE HERO!!!

2. haha i wont debate that, its unfortunate, but it makes the quality metal that is still out there all the more precious

3. Chugga chugga riffage, annoying vocal screeches, Slipknot covers and emo haircuts? Yeah, uh...:rolleyes:

4. to be fair ive only heard a few songs that i thought were fairly creative, but i havent heard much else, so i guess i wasnt in a position to recommend them, sorry

5. akaTRENT

akaTRENT

Jan 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hey man. you would love my band. pm me your aim sn. ill send it over to you.

6. here Ill redeem myself,

Portugal. The Man

amazing band, very 70s influenced, very progressive, but in a new way (i guess thats sorta the idea), in short theyre AWESOME! check em out

7. akaTRENT

akaTRENT

Jan 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    +1

8. Sarbecue Boss

Sarbecue Boss

Jul 9, 2006
    How so?

9. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Funny but I did not find them like that. About as prog to me, as Mew & Radiohead. Experimental, maybe but 70's prog?

What songs are you talking about?

10. i probably should have seperated "prog" and "70s" a bit more, because they arent 70s prog at all, im not really sure how to explain it, theyre experimental for sure, and i think theyre very progressive but in a way i cant exactly put my finger on...essentially i was talking about the whole "church mouth" record in comparison with the "its complicated being a wizard" record

11. -MK-

-MK-

Feb 24, 2009
    Lake Norman, NC
    Gotta +1 Protest the Hero's "Fortress." Was my prog/metalcore release of 2008...CRAZY album. Also, check out Bigelf!!! These guys are The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, and Queen put into a blender and mixed up into a nice delicious progarita. AWESOME STUFF.

12. Marillion
    Von Hertzen Brothers
    Oceansize
    Pure Reason Revolution
    Black Mountain
    Black Bonzo

No metal here ;)

13. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
  14. Well all you really need is Rush. Most successful prog band ever. But here are some suggestions:

"Fear Of A Blank Planet" by Porcupine Tree blends some of the technicality of Dream Theater with the melodies and catchiness of Coheed & Cambria. Take that and throw in the amazing sound scapes of Pink Floyd and this is what you get. It's an overall great album.

Also, "Systematic Chaos" by Dream Theater, or really any of their albums. As a collective whole they're the most technical and talented band on the planet. Music isn't completely amazing though. Mostly due to the fact that if I listen to James LaBrie sing for more than an hour I want to kill myself.

15. I'll have to catch up with checking out some of these suggestions after this semester is over. However, I found myself at the store today and picked up Vapor Trails by Rush and found Steven Wilson's (Porcupine Tree) new album, Insurgentes. Surprised to see Tony Levin plays on a few tracks, but quickly realized he's in King Crimson with Gavin Harrison (PT's drummer) now. Also Jordan Ruddess is on it.

16. alapantera

alapantera

Mar 22, 2004
    Wisconsin
    I just picked up the album "Experiments in Mass Appeal" from Frost. Great album! www.myspace.com/planetfrost

Also picked up "Overlook" by Fromuz. 5 tracks clocking in at just over 69 minutes. There's only "short" clips up on their myspace: www.myspace.com/thefromuz Progarchives.com has a full track: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2917

I've also picked up the new album from Steven Wilson, though I haven't had much of a chance to really listen to it yet. I have a nasty habit of acquiring too much new music all at once. :D

17. MistaMarko

MistaMarko

Feb 3, 2006
    USA
    Tetrafusion's "Absolute Zero"

Instrumental prog/experimental metal.

Instrumental concept album dealing with astronomy, cosmology, and physics.

Obviously it's my band (as my sig says)..but would love for you guys to give a listen. We have a full-length released, so I figured I'd post it!

www.myspace.com/tetrafusion

18. Pedulla?

Pedulla? Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2008
    St. Louis, MO
    Lye by Mistake

IWRESTLEDABEARONCE

Unexpect

Scale the Summit

Sleepy Time Gorilla Museum

The Diablo Swing Orchestra

Psyopus

19. Trapezius

Trapezius

Mar 1, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Frost* is amazing. I love both albums. The first (Milliontown) is more a keyboard album, with lots of floating and melodic stuff. The second (EIMA) is a high energy rock album. Lots of prog influences, but with lots of elements from modern pop music, and awesome production. People who are ready for modern prog without mellotrons and vintage sound should check this out.

Oh, and the bassist uses a Rick. At least on some of the songs. :bassist:

20. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    I have to agree. Incredible album.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021