Modern prog album suggestions

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by StanFan, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Great call on Mats/Morgan (especially the live album)
    If you're a fan of Spiral Architect, I'd suggest Twisted Into Form.
    If Meshuggah makes the list, I'd throw in Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects (with Morgan Agren).
    Indricothere is Colin's (from Behold...The Arcotopus and Dysrhythmia) side project...great stuff.
    Plenty of good 70's-ish prog out there like Univers Zero, Miriodor, Henry Cow, Magma, Koenjihyakkei, etc.

2. I feel both guilty and extremely happy at the same time because I bought this. I've been waiting for around 2-3 years (whenever this was announced). I'm only feeling guilt because my wallet is hurting, besides that no complaints (outside of the sleeve packaging that scuffed 1 cd and the dvd from "Lamb").

http://www.amazon.ca/1970-1975-CD-D...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1234920780&sr=8-1

After the 2 albums I've ordered arrive, I have to promise myself not to buy any albums for a month (REALLY hard for me). :)

3. Peccatum - proggy avante gard metal from norway with female and male vocals

Hardingrock - similer to peccatum (same Vocal duo) with addition of a nordic 9 string violin. Quite Heavy and in norwiegen

Aghora - Female Vocals Techy metal with distinct middle eastern feel

Spiral Architect - Tech metal with a spacy feel.

+1 on Thordendal and WOW!! on Twisted Into Form!

4. markkoelsch

markkoelsch

Sep 6, 2008
    Here are a few:
    Circus Maximus
    Pagan's Mind
    Circle To Circle
    Riverside
    After Forever

5. Riverside are great, Sikth are pretty progressive.i cant stop adding bands to this thread.. :D

6. Gubna

Gubna

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
    RE: King's X
    I saw them at a small club here in SF in 1992. They were awesome! and were blown away by the crowd response. the sound at The Stone was really good for them.

also, I've really been enjoying some of the bands mentioned here such as Spock's Beard, Battles, The Mars Volta and a few others that I heard on Pandoraradio like Riverside, Porcupine Tree, etc.

7. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
  8. chroma601

chroma601

Feb 16, 2007
    Sylva, NC
    It was mentioned once a while back, but please check out Gentle Giant. My favorite prog band. Tough to figure out where to start, but my favorite albums are

The Power And The Glory
    Free Hand
    Octopus
    In A Glass House
    Three Friends

Ray Shulman's bass alone is worth the listen, but Kerry Minnear's keyboards are astonishing.

9. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    weird... didn't really like it...

10. Gubna

Gubna

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
    I can't believe I've never given them a listen. awesome.

11. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Yeah, different strokes... I first heard Gentle Giant back in the late 70s I think, never cared for them.

12. tool, russian circles, Bring Me the Horizon (for more metal), Fall Of Troy, Between the Buried and Me, OPETH, Dillinger Escape Plan, Minus the Bear, A Glass Gesture, Circa Survive, Facing New York

13. Sarbecue Boss

Sarbecue Boss

Jul 9, 2006
    heavier prog stuff i haven't seen mentioned
    The faceless-old album more metal, new album more prog, death vox, spacey feel, great solos

Fredrick Thordenals Special Defects-pretty similar to Meshugga, very rhythmic

Nile-hard for most to really get into, but if you do, it kills. crazy time sig changes at blistering speeds, probly every harmonic minor variation in one album-death vox

Biomechanical-symphony x meets pantera in the best possible way, one of the best voices and guitarists in metal. get empires of the world or cannibalised

Decrepit Birth-lotta death metal, lotta prog influence, enigmatic form

Blotted Science-Ron Jarzombeck(spastic ink, watchtower) Alex Webster(cannibal Corpse)
    and Charlie Zelany(some nuts drummer) put together one of the best prog metal releases I have ever heard-super nuts, no vox

Lighter modern prog stuff

Hiromi Uehara-intense prog jazz piano, killer band, did n album with her band and dave fuze

eric whitaker-the most insane chord arrangments I have heard, make giant steps look like blink 182, only get his choir stuff

Mahavishnu Orchestra-kills me all day long

Jan akkerman-Killer european(finland maybe?)guitarist, played with focus

Focus-to me, oldschool prog rock meets monty python vocals

Chick corea-return to forever, latin stuff, fusion stuff-all great; 80'smalibu Beach nerd pop-can't stand it

there are so many bands that exist

14. Magma's been around for a looong time :)

Great band. Weird, indeed, like an early Mike Oldfield, but equally great.

15. Id hardly call nile prog no doubt there technical (i love them) but there not prog.

16. cumquott

cumquott

Jul 6, 2007
    York, PA
    Don't have any CDs., but saw them at Nearfest 2007, and they were awesome. Super show - lots of drama, and the band and in particular the singer/drummer were JAMMIN. Yeah, I know, this is TB (I bet the bassist was friggin good too).

17. There is NOTHING progressive about them.

18. i don know if id go that far, theyre definitely not what i would call a prog band, but theyre progressive relative the current metal scene IMO at least

19. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California

all that tells us is that today's mainstream metal is goin' down the tubes... :meh:

20. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    +1 Blotted Science

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021