1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Monel Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DrDano, Jun 12, 2012.

1. DrDano

DrDano

Aug 24, 2009
    Shawnee KS
    I just got my RotoSound 77Flats. Only been playing a few years and always played with roundwound stainless. After stringing my bass don't think I like the feel. They feel grabby. They don't slip off my finger tips very well. My question is, is this the nature of flats or just the Monel in the strings. I love the sound but not liking all the grip I'm feeling. Would nickel make a difference in the feel? The tone is great and what I hear nickel would be warmer. So how about the feel?

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Nope. That is the Monel. I tried and did not like the feel. Chromes, thomastic JF, labellas - all feel really good. I'll be playing chromes on my Sterling in an hour or so.

Tape wound flats are cool too. I like both Labella and D'Addario

3. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Give them a little time... They probably still have some coating on the strings left from the manufacturing process etc...

4. DrDano

DrDano

Aug 24, 2009
    Shawnee KS
    Thanks for the input. I moved them to my Peavey. I'll keep trying. They sound great. Im just thinking I'm just not ready for the difference in feel still being newbe.

5. BassmanSBK

BassmanSBK

Mar 31, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Not coating, not the brand. Flats always feel "sticky" at first because there is more surface area making contact with your skin. The feeling is an illusion.

6. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    You will get used to the feel over time.

A while back I played tapewounds exclusively for a few months, and after that even the slickest flats felt grabby and sharp. But, I got used to rounds and flats afterward.

If people can get used to the feel of ground wounds, you will get used to the feel of the Rotos.

:)

7. walldaja

walldaja

Apr 27, 2011
    Good comment on greater contact area w/fingers. I noticed more when my fingers got damp. Guitar bud suggested I try some string lube--problem solved.

8. radiowavesurfer

radiowavesurfer

Jan 10, 2010
    UK
    The roto monel strings are the least flat flats I've ever tried, in terms of how they feel. As others have said, they will improve a bit, but I'd say if you really want strings that are smooth to the touch, you'll have to look elsewhere.

9. Yep, that's how those strings feel. I like the "tack" of them, myself, but I can understand why you might not.

10. FenderBassist

FenderBassist

Oct 28, 2005
    Another vote for "just give it time".

I went from using nothing but nickel round wounds for years and years to suddenly using flats on a whim.

Monels on one bass and Chromes on another.

It took a few hours of self practice over several days to become accustomed to the feel and tension, and a few weeks to get the new set up ideal (required small, incremental tightenings of the truss rod).

Now, it's like I've been using them the whole time.

I really don't miss rounds at all. If I end up setting up a Jazz bass with a P neck (it's the only way I can use one) then I'll use rounds on that bass.

11. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    23 ft below sea level
    I took them off within 24 hours after installing. I'm a real flatwound player, but those monel Roto's aren't my thing.