1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mono vs Probag double case

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Robin UK, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Robin UK

Robin UK

Feb 1, 2007
    Hi, i don't know i this is the right section, but it didn't really seem clear which one i should use.

I'm planning on getting a double bass guitar gig bag as i'm sick of having to leave a bass in a practice space or trying to car round 2 cases when i'm using a fretless and fretted etc. for the same band.

I've narrowed it down to either the mono double case:

http://www.monocase.com/mono-dual-bass.asp

Or the Probag double case:

http://www.probag-net.com/

but can't decide which will be; a) More protective, b) longer lasting, and c) more comfortable to carry on your back.

What are your experinces of these two?

Thanks

Robin

2. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    have you consider the incase dub bag -that one always looked great to me.

3. Robin UK

Robin UK

Feb 1, 2007
    The Dub Bag is abit priceier than the other options for me. Also i think i prefer the idea of being able to take the two basses out separately.

Thanks for the input,

Robin

4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Moved to Misc.

5. Robin UK

Robin UK

Feb 1, 2007
    Thanks

Robin

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  7. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Had a probag with my LEJ5. It was very well made, well padded and just plain cool. Wasn't too heavy either. ;)

8. Robin UK

Robin UK

Feb 1, 2007
    Any More experiences? any comparisons?

Thanks

Robin

9. Madcity Fats

Madcity Fats Supporting Member

May 28, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Not sure if you're still shopping around but I'll go +1 on the Probag.

I ordered one because for what they were promising, the price was simply too good to pass up. Like you, I was tired of toting around two cases just to be prepared in the (generally unlikely) event I need a backup. And I'm a sucker for leather, I'll admit.

The bag that arrived actually exceeded my expectations. The leather is thicker than I expected. The padding is about a half-inch more than most (can't seem to find that spec on the Mono site, which is kind of obnoxious). The workmanship is flawless.

I can't recommend this thing highly enough. I'm so impressed that I'm getting ready to order a single bag just for those rare occasions (like recording sessions) where I'm carting around 3 basses for variety's sake.

About the only thing that would have made the experience better is if I the wait had been shorter, but that's just because I was anxious to check out the bag. But as Probag clearly states, these things are made to order and are shipped from Bolivia. The wait was about what I'd been told to expect (it's worth noting here that Johnny at Probag was great about answering all my email inquiries, both before and after I placed the order with him).

One big advantage I see over the Mono case is that the Probag has separate zippered compartments for the individual basses. Another is that Probag will customize their bags to fit your instruments, in the event you have a custom bass or something taller than your typical Fender style bass, etc. Johnny was careful to ask me what kiind of basses I play prior to processing my order. I wouldn't have thought to mention it otherwise. I didn't need a custom fit, but it's nice to know I wouldn't have been surprised if I had.

Hope this helps.

10. bobunit

bobunit I'm here. Now what? Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Idaho
    How long did it take to get your bag from the time you placed your order?

11. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

FYI, the Mono has separate zippered compartments also, one opens from the right, the other from the left side of teh bag.

12. Budha bass

Budha bass

Feb 19, 2009
    Paris / France
    Yes, Kjung is right,

I look on the M80 dual bag also . :smug:

I will put my order soon to see one .

13. Madcity Fats

Madcity Fats Supporting Member

May 28, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Sorry for the late reply.

Seems to me it was about a month. Not bad for a custom order, seems to me.

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

I think mine was just about a month as well.

15. bobunit

bobunit I'm here. Now what? Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Idaho
    You don't need to apologize. You were probbably busy playing your bass. :)

Yes, that does seem like a reasonable amount of time for a custom order. My dad has been waiting 6 months for his custom leather holster. :eyebrow: