Monster cable filing multiple lawsuits...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jason Carota, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That's it, I am not buying monster cables. Absolute crap. That is almost like ruby tubes suing Mr. Ruby of Ruby amplifiers. They sued him for using his own last name for his company. This is completely retarded.
  2. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Trevorus: Make sure you tell them. Telling us is OK though. :)
  3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I told them, obviously I got no response.I don't even think the cabels are all that good.
  4. why don't all the companies bein sued band together and sue monster cables? you can't own a word that was invented before you are even born...maybe if it was a word that he made up, like microsoft for example, i could understand, but monster is just a regular word! thats it...i'm jumpign on the bandwagon and copyrighting the word "music" that way, i can sue 90% of all music stores anywhere in the US!
  5. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I find this hilarious - kinda like Microsoft trying to sue the guys who make Lindows because its too close to Windows.

All in All, Its stupid and Their stuff is too expensive for what I consider to be good (overpaying...)
  6. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I still love this story:

7. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Yet another reason that I have lost ALL FAITH in the American court system. It's bullcrap like this that lines the pockets of Corporate America and it's merry band of! And what about their name? Monster Cables? C'mon! I'm gonna sue them for false advertisement. Ain't no way they're making those cables out of 100% real monster...

And I drink Monster, the drink. It's not made of 100% monster either, but there is probably some percentage of reconstituted monster extract (from concentrate) in it or something...

Seriously, I just cut my Monster cable in two. I'll mail them the corpse, freight collect... :mad:
  8. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    They'll just send you back a new one!
  9. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Dammit! Those BASTAGES! I'll tell them to send me a competitor's cable then, with receipt, of course! ;)
  10. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey, you think that song "The Monster Mash" will be banned at Halloween time because of this?

There's always procables'nsound, or Proco cables. BTW, I may be in the market for some new cables soon. Anybody remember the link to the Proco website?

IME, I would agree-I don't believe Monster to be all that great. But thats just me I guess. YMMV.
  11. here's a question for the lawyers here...

can they even do that? to sue everything that has the word monster in it?
  12. This has been going on for a while, and I'm glad this guy's taking a stand. I really hope he those working with him succeed.

I just sent a polite, yet scathing email to their tech support department, for what it's worth.
  13. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Chicago Bears

Football's "Monsters of the Midway" were a potential target for a Monster suit.

I would love to see them go after the bears for that one. The NFL would eat them for lunch.

I can see Monsters point on some of this, but only if it's a company manufacturing or selling a similar product. To go after a guys company that instructs kids how to ski or a lady tryin to earn a living sellin t-shirts is just assanine. Whats even more assanine is how they wanted them to pay 1% royalties and approve of the other companies marketing list.

I'm also very supprised that Disney settled on that, they couldve probably beat them down in court much like the NFL could.

After reading this I refuse to buy a monster product and will encourage others not to as well.
  14. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    QUalification: I know nothing about IP / Trademark law.

I suspect the answer is yes. If they own the Monster trade mark and presumably in sufficient quantity (ie Monster cables, Monster power, Monster toilet paper) then any other product that purports to be Monster x could be mistaken as being associated with Monster.

This means that Monster x is potentially infringing on Monster's rights to protect and use its brand how it wishes. Brand protection is nothing new. Do you think there are many small operators with the name McDonalds or Coke or Microsoft in their name?
  15. swampash

Dec 13, 2004
    what a bunch of :bawl: babies, they can kiss my MONSTER! sue that! :mad:
  16. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    An Australian court would throw it out Mark, and you know it!
  17. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Im not so sure. Monster would have to prove that they had an established market here (which I don't think they do) but assuming they did, then it should hold up.

From what I can gather, Monster's brand predated all these "newcomers" that it is suing, so it would seem to have a legitimate right to enforce its brand. That said, Im not an expert in such matters. But another possible course of action Monster could take in Australia would seem to be a case under the Trade Practices Act that another "monster" brand was misleading and deceptive in using the "monster" name - again though, this would rely on Monster having an established brand and reputation in Australia.

Anyway....its by the by because its happeneing in America.
  18. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ

I'm sending Monster a nice long email. :)